Brewer Fanatic

2006 2nd Round Pick Contemplating Career Switch to College Football -- Maybe Before, Not Now

Mass Haas

Well, Brent Brewer, who spurned Florida State's offer to play wide receiver for the Brewers' $600,000 of second-round money in 2006, may have tired of posting these stat lines in four seasons in the Brewer system.

The Scout.com link below is subscriber only, but we'll try and get you more info from it before the day is out.

Recruiting: Could OSU Hit Another Home Run?

Oklahoma State has enjoyed the luxury of having a scholarship-caliber quarterback that doesn't count against its scholarship limit in Brandon Weeden. Now they could possibly get another offensive player that wouldn't count against the scholarship limit. Brent Brewer, a Tyrone, Ga. native, is scheduled to visit Oklahoma State on an official visit this weekend for the home game with Texas Tech.

Brewer wouldn't be missed, at least by yours truly, who had pulled him from the P50 early this past season in my individual rankings.

But do the Brewers know about this, won't it be awkward if he's back in Maryvale in the spring, and well, and can the Brewers get about $250,000 of that signing bonus back?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may be a good career move for him. It's a move that worked for both Javon Walker and Kelley Washington (obviously Walker more so than Washington), who began their professional sports careers as baseball players, and were relatively old rookies (both were 24 their first years with the Packers and Bengals respectively) coming out of college as wide receivers.

If the Brewers didn't know about this previously, they do now http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Disappointing bust of a 2nd rounder, but an ops of 575 in A ball does not look like there is much to build on. Good luck to him in football. At his age he might be able to get by with 1 or 2 years before trying for the NFL if he has the talent in that sport. Might be a bit interesting if the Packers wind up drafting him.

It may be a good career move for him. It's a move that worked for both Javon Walker and Kelley Washington (obviously Walker more so than Washington), who began their professional sports careers as baseball players, and were relatively old rookies (both were 24 their first years with the Packers and Bengals respectively) coming out of college as wide receivers.

If the Brewers didn't know about this previously, they do now http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

The Texan's rookie TE James Casey is another recent guy to make the jump.

This isnt true at all.

The thing about Scout.com content, although it is by subscription, it's normally very easy to google free online versions of their articles. That's scout.com's issue, not mine, they should do a better job of encryption. So while I'm not going to copy and paste, this online page should allow everyone to read Brent's numerous quotes on the topic, at least while it's available for a few days.

So he's not planning on going to South Carolina, Kentucky and Florida State on additional trips? And back on Sept. 26th, he didn't visit the University of New Mexico? The Lobos could use his help, as they are 0-9. That would be easy enough to verify.

We've never read or heard anything negative about Brent in terms of work ethic or off-the-field stuff, so we simply believe he's a hard-working kid with tremendous athletic ability, which unfortunately hasn't translated to baseball production expected of a bonus baby 2nd round pick. This isn't an attack on Brent, although Brewer fans probably expect 100% commitmtment to the organization from the team's top picks. (Of course, on a side note, there are probably many players in the organization who moan about the Brewers' commitment to them, two-way street and all.)

Just don't know how you can say "isn't true at all" or blog that the rumor is bogus.

Is it not true at all now, that you know about it? The quotes are made up by the author?

You're consistently right about one thing, though, being an agent can't be easy sometimes.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If it's a bogus rumor, Agent, you might want to dissuade your client from discussing it with the newspapers as if it's not a bogus rumor.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I mentioned this a couple of times during the season that I had a feeling he would go back to football. I think football suites his talent better, he hasn't been able to translate his is unbelievable athletic ability to the baseball diamond. Nothing wrong with that, baseball is a tough sport to make it in and if he feels football may be a better route for him to go and get his degree on top of that, go for it Brent. But I'd go play at Ok St. Gundy's offense is great and with their depth at WR he'd prob play right away.

Realistically, Escobar is going nowhere soon, Prince has already over took Brent as the 2nd best SS and we still have a handleful of talented CF's coming up. It wouldn't be an easy road for him to stick with the Brewers.

This isnt true at all.

The thing about Scout.com content, although it is by subscription, it's normally very easy to google free online versions of their articles. That's scout.com's issue, not mine, they should do a better job of encryption. So while I'm not going to copy and paste, this online page should allow everyone to read Brent's numerous quotes on the topic, at least while it's available for a few days.

So he's not planning on going to South Carolina, Kentucky and Florida State on additional trips? And back on Sept. 26th, he didn't visit the University of New Mexico? The Lobos could use his help, as they are 0-9. That would be easy enough to verify.

We've never read or heard anything negative about Brent in terms of work ethic or off-the-field stuff, so we simply believe he's a hard-working kid with tremendous athletic ability, which unfortunately hasn't translated to baseball production expected of a bonus baby 2nd round pick. This isn't an attack on Brent, although Brewer fans probably expect 100% commitmtment to the organization from the team's top picks. (Of course, on a side note, there are probably many players in the organization who moan about the Brewers' commitment to them, two-way street and all.)

Just don't know how you can say "isn't true at all" or blog that the rumor is bogus.

Is it not true at all now, that you know about it? The quotes are made up by the author?

You're consistently right about one thing, though, being an agent can't be easy sometimes.

How can I write or blog that this isnt true at all????? I dont know, how about the fact I have talked to Brent since all this was published and discussed at length with him and his family what his plans are. At this point Id love to be taken more seriously than a scout.com writeup. Obviously he's had some struggles with baseball but he is not going on any visits and this again is 100 percent untrue and nobody, not scout.com and not anyone here is a better source than I am. Thats how I can say that and blog about it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So are you saying his quotes in the Scout.com article were fabricated?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

This is idiotic. Cleary I'm just his baseball agent and not a career advisor. Surely Ive never had any conversation with Brent regarding football. I wouldnt be the last person to know. Fans on a message board relying on a scout.com report would be the last to know.

Go read McCalvey's blog I fwd'd him a text message brewer shot me.

http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com

Im going to go back to not posting here for a while again if I have to split hairs with people questioning my validity here.

Josh, I don't agree with all the posts above, but your take on the subject is completely contradictory to the quotes by Brent in the Scout.com article. By neglecting to address that contradiction, we are left to our imaginations to reconcile it. We couldn't blindly follow your short denial of the article when there was reputable evidence to the contrary.

From piecing everything together (you, McClavy, Scout.com), it appears he was considering it as recent as earlier this week, but then you talked with him and at the moment he has decided to stay in baseball.

Nobody questions his dedication to whatever endeavor he chooses.

What sbrylski09 said.

Josh, I'm not sure why you didn't set the story straight with us from the beginning. There's a big difference between the story not being true, or a rumor, than it being something that was considered by Brewer but has since been dropped. Are we just supposed to fall in line and take you for your word with no questions asked? That's not exactly fair to our intelligence.

And just because we have questions doesn't mean we're questioning your credibility. We're curious, this is a message board, and questions ensue until the curiosity is satisfied. It's nothing personal.

Yeah man, either those quotes in the article are true and he is at least contemplating, or the writer made them up and this is all bogus. All we are looking for is confirmation if Brent's personal quotes are true.

Rydogg, I don't think you can either / or like that. You say Brent "is" contemplating in your statement above, and while it seems pretty clear he may have been contemplating at one time, he no longer is. Josh has made that part clear, that he has spoken with Brent since all this was published and discussed at length with him and his family what his plans are. That conversation was very recent, since the publish date was only Wednesday the 11th.

I echo colbyjack's sentiments.

There's a big difference between the story not being true, or a rumor, than it being something that was considered by Brewer but has since been dropped. Are we just supposed to fall in line and take you for your word with no questions asked? That's not exactly fair to our intelligence.

And just because we have questions doesn't mean we're questioning your credibility. We're curious, this is a message board, and questions ensue until the curiosity is satisfied. It's nothing personal.

When Josh said this wasn't true at all, it seemed like he was implying that the quotes weren't Brent's at all.

It would really be something if the guy from scout.com randomly picked some minor league ballplayer out of mid-air just for the fun of it, attributed quotes to him that were completely made up, forged a past, current, and tentative future schedule of visits, and just ran with it out of the vivid imagination of his mind. If that's what we're supposed to believe, I'm not even sure how to respond to that.

This is the risk teams take when they draft athletes capable of playing other sports at high levels.

It is difficult to imagine a guy who was considering dropping the game working hard to improve, and dedicated to said sport. As for the Scout article not being true, I think real life and common sense prevail. Brewer sounds like he should shut up and make up his mind, as talking isn't helping him at all.

Do they give MLB possible draftees an intelligence test, like the NFL and Wondersomething or other? Maybe they should, as Jeffress and Brewer would have likely sucked at them, and raised numerous red flags.

Archived