Brewer Fanatic

Cole Hamels

I got an email from a friend in Philly this morning, he says radio talk is all about Hamels being traded. The show he listens to mentioned Milwaukee as a possibility...but I'm sure that's simply because the Brewers' need for pitching is so obvious.

The thing is, the Phillies are trying to move some money around to add Halladay...if I'm Toronto...don't you want Hamels in that deal?

The thing is, the Phillies are trying to move some money around to add Halladay...if I'm Toronto...don't you want Hamels in that deal?

Good call splitter, although you have to wonder if the Blue Jays want almost all pre-arby talent in return for Halladay. Hamels does cost over $16M over the next two years, which is a good deal, especially if Hamels rebounds next year (and he still had a solid year this past season), but again, the Blue Jays may not want to have almost any financial commitment for the talent they receive in return.

I would love to see the Brewers get in on this. I remember that they were quite interested in him for the 2002 draft, and Bruce Seid mentioned in an interview with me that Hamels was the best player he saw play as an amateur. The two teams seem to match up fairly well, as the Phillies have a need for a third baseman and some bullpen help. Casey McGehee and Carlos Villanueva might be a good starting point with a prospect thrown in the mix (McGehee and Braddock might get it done by themselves, and Braddock has some ties to Philly), giving them not only flexibility to go and get Halladay, but to also save money in their 3B quest to address their need for a closer.

This would be the kind of high impact trade Doug Melvin should be looking to made. He would have to give up some good players, but probably not sell the whole farm off. Cole Hamels would instantly make the rotation significantly better, and probably help put a lot of butts in seats at Miller Park, too.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

No way would I trade Gamel and Lawrie in the same deal. Those right now are our two best hitting prospects, by far. This team is going to need some young guys to come in soon, just like the way Weeks, Hardy, Braun, and Fielder came in, to replace some of the more expensive guys and keep the payroll managable. In general, I don't like the idea of trading Gamel or Lawrie. We have a lot of pitching on the way soon and we need some hitters to compliment them. Right now I'd consider Lawrie untouchable, but if we can get Hamels, I'd consider offering Gamel if they absolutely insist on him.

I mentioned in a different thread (& battlekow did in another) that now is probably the best time ever to look into Hamels. And, literally, the only thing 'wrong' with Hamels' 2009 in terms of rate stats was his BABIP. If Philly's so eager to unload him, I think Melvin needs to get it done. I'm not even sure you'd need to give up Gamel.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I mentioned in a different thread (& battlekow did in another) that now is probably the best time ever to look into Hamels. And, literally, the only thing 'wrong' with Hamels' 2009 in terms of rate stats was his BABIP. If Philly's so eager to unload him, I think Melvin needs to get it done. I'm not even sure you'd need to give up Gamel.

I would love to acquire Cole Hamels, but I don't think it's realistic. I'm sure you'd have to give up a lot more than Gamel, and I don't think Philly will make him available.

I wonder if:

McGehee

Coffey

Jake Odorizzi/Zach Braddock/Wily Peralta/Cody Scarpetta

Alex Periard

McGehee would probably be of more interest since they are so lefty-heavy and they prefer defensive reputation over bat-ceiling (new coined term), even if Gamel's defense has improved exponentially over the last 2 y ears.

Coffey would seem like another player of interest to them, considering the amount of confidence one elicits at the thought of Lidge imploding this past year, and while it would weaken our bullpen, we would be recouping a pitcher who regularly gets a QS, easing the burden.

Between Braddock, Scarpetta, Peralta, and Odorizzi, they could cherry pick their favorite pitching prospect. And Periard could then also be used in the Roy Halladay trade.

So they plug holes in their bullpen and at 3B, while getting their pick of our pitching prospects, and get a nugget to throw into the Halladay trade (Jorge De la Rosa-style), while shedding about $14M over the next two years.

Archived