Brewer Fanatic

H1N1 Vaccine

jjgott
Anyone else get the vaccine? I got the mist about a week ago. So far so good, but it was definitely crazy to see close to 1,000 people ahead of me to get the darn thing. For those who aren't choosing to get it, any reason why not?

I got it last week, and no problems to report. We vaccinated over 1,000 kids in our school district (with parental permission obviously). My mom and sister are both nurses, and they've said its a no-brainer to get it. Just about every doctor i've talked to on the subject (several dozen) were all FOR getting the shot if available.

I'd recommend the shot over the mist, but only because I (& alot of people i know) have allergy issues

I have not seen it in my neck of the woods of Arizona yet. I got my regular flu shot back in September and it must've been some potent stuff (or my antibodies really did their job) because this has been the healthiest autumn that I can remember since college. And that's saying a lot considering I work with young kids every day.

I would venture a guess that I will get the H1N1 when it does show up in town.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

As long as I don't get the virus itself, I expect to get vaccinated (preferably the shot, not the mist) whenever it's available, especially now that the S.O. is in a higher-risk-for-complications category (he's diabetic).

We heeded our clinic's multiple and multi-media reminders to get seasonal flu shots in September, and so at least avoided the delay that many others have faced getting that one.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Community Moderator
I haven't gotten the flu in at least 10 years (never gotten the flu shot either), but it seems like a smart idea to get the H1N1 vaccine since if you get sick, it knocks you out for several days. I will wait until there are no lines--so by the the virus may have already passed over.

I almost always get the normal flu shot. Not this year. Last year my wife (who also got the flu shot) and I both got the flu (violently sick) on the same day. The normal flu shot is for the respiratory flu, not stomach flu. I always knew this, but got the shot anyways because I thought there has to be some reason people are getting this shot. Not any more. How bad can the respiratory flu be? Like a bad cold? Seems like a pointless shot for someone who is relatively healthy. When they come out with a shot for the stomach flu, I'll be in line.

Also, it doesn't sound like the Swine flu involves vomiting. To me it's not a flu, unless something flies out of your mouth. I can handle bad colds and fevers. I can't handle throwing up.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Agreed. I can handle the respiratory symptoms. I woke up this morning with a pounding headache, a mild fever, and I've been coughing all day -- the symptoms are mild, so I don't know if I have a cold or the swine flu. It doesn't matter to me, as long as I'm not puking. Vomiting is one of my top fears, so I'd definitely get a shot for stomach flu. The other, respiratory flu? I'll pass.

Got one today in a walk-in clinic in Singapore. No waiting at all. . .cost around $26 US.

They don't have the mist version, and surprisingly they don't have one approved for kids.

What exactly was it that they just jabbed into my arm?

I go back in a week or so to get the regular seasonal variety, just in time for our trip back to Wisconsin December 11.

I have never gotten a flu vaccine and probably won't this year including the H1N1. I don't fall into any high risk categories so the H1N1 vaccine probably isn't even an option. I have spoken with 2 doctors, well one practicing doctor and one virologist researcher who said they wouldn't get it either. Both said similar things - - viruses are odd organisms and there is no real gurantee you still won't get sick or that your immune system won't be comprimised by the vaccine and just let something else in. Both also stated the old, getting all these vaccines, anti bacterial soaps, and such may just lead to the virus mutating into something even nastier. The virologist suggested making sure to get plenty of sleep, eat a lot of immune system boosting foods and excersing to boost the immune system.

Of course I am one of the lucky people who never seem to get sick even as a kid who played in the dirt and ate food dropped on the floor. Others like one of my co workers practically bathe their kids in Purell never lets them play in the dirt and yet they are constantly sick.

One little pet peeve of mine about stomach flu and the flu (influenza) - - they are not similar nor related, stomach flu is bacterial infection of the digestive tract not a virus. The Flu is dangerous because it fills lungs with fluid making breathing difficult- - vomit is usually a sympton of the stomach ailments not the Flu which is respiratory related.

http://www.webmd.com/cold...tomach-flu-not-influenza

edit: I don't want to make it sound like I advise anyone against getting the vaccines or think you are crazy for doing so I was more just responding the original question who wouldn't get one and why.

We took the kids to a clinic about three weeks ago. We prepped them pretty hard but they were running them into a room five at a time and once one kid started screaming and crying, the rest of the kids in the room and those waiting in the hall joined in. A trip to Dairy Queen for a banana split soothed everyone's nerves. They get the second half of the treatment in a couple of weeks.

That's a hazard with the clinics: seeing other kids get upset would definitely have made me more apprehensive when I was a kid.

The seasonal flu shot clinic we attended in September had a lot of kids at it, many of whom were unhappy. The unhappiness spread quickly.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Agreed on the panicky kid thing. My experience was supposed to be that my 5 year old daughter and I were going in together, with her getting the seasonal shot, and me getting the H1N1. We had been talking about it, reading through the Berenstain Bears, where Sister Bear takes a shot even though she's hesitant. My daughter insisted that she was going to go first, but with me in the room. When it was go time, she put on the brakes and started quivvering like a puppy in a thunderstorm.

I scored zero on the dad test that day, as I learned that yelling at a frightened child doesn't do much to assuage her fears.

We left with me getting mine, and her a teary, sniffling mess.

We go back again next week, as I'll be able to get the seasonal flu shot. Hopefully by then I will learn a little Mike Brady, and she'll be able to get past her fears and take one for the team.

Archived