Brewer Fanatic

Jeter wins gold glove

Thurston Fluff

Isn't he one of the worst defensive shortstops there is? Not that I think it's the end all be all of defense but I looked at his UZR this year on fangrpahs and it was much better than in the past but still not as good as Izturas who has traditionally been considered a good defender. I just don't get what criteria they use for it.

link

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Jeter was 3rd in the AL in fielding WAR by SS, only behind Andrus and Aybar who didn't play every day and are pretty young. Hard to complain too much about it with at least some statistics backing him up. The AL does not have very many good defensive SS right now.

Edit for typo : I meant fielding WAR.

WAR is offense and defense, right. Jeter was better than Andrus offensively, so Andrus had to be better than Jeter defensively. Right??

The GG award is a joke. They should just do away with it.

I have more range on my bar stool than Jeter does up the middle. And this isn't written in blue.

I edited my post but I meant fielding WAR, Jeter was actually the 3rd best defensive SS in the AL statistically this season. Both of the SS who were better didn't play quite full time and are young which makes it harder to win.

I know Jeter has gotten a rep for being a bad fielder, but if you watched the Yankees this year he was extremely stable and made a ton of great plays. I think there were a few years where he got it completely based on where he plays and how good his offensive stats were, but this year I think he deserved it.

Jeter changed his positioning this past season, playing deeper than he ever had in years past. I found this blurb on River Avenue Blues, a good Yankees blog:

The third, and what I think is the most important, factor is Jeter's positioning. He's playing deeper, and it's noticeable. This gives him more time to react, and therefore more lateral range. Jeter's scouting report in The Fielding Bible noted his shallow play because of poor arm strength. I don't know where that last bit came from, because by all appearances Jeter's arm is just fine. He's definitely been playing further back this year, which allows him to get to more balls up the middle. His arm has been able to handle the throws just fine

What stands out to me about Jeter playing deeper is that it puts more emphasis on his arm. His reliable hands & his strong, accurate arm are the two best features of Jeter the defender, so in some ways it's not surprising at all that playing deeper resulted in better fielding stats.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I "follow" Keith Law's twitter feed and just saw this:

Mediocre Fielder Hits Way to Gold Glove Award #notfakenews

about 3 hours ago from TinyTwitter

Not sure if he has access to the NL winners that are supposed to be announced tomorrow, but if Prince did win, we could probably start a similar Fielder flowchart? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I think it's about time Hunter gets added to that flowchart, his case is just as ridiculous as Jeter's, if not more so. Oh well, as long as teams keep overpaying for guys like Hunter, I'm fine with his stockpile of awards (although Franklin Guiterreieisezez might beg to differ).

A little off topic, but using the chart lets evaluate Braun's chances:

Last year's winners:
OF Carlos Beltran New York
OF Nate McLouth Pittsburgh
OF Shane Victorino Philadelphia

Still a good hitter (we know the gold glove standard for being a good hitter is AVE/HR/RBI):
OF Carlos Beltran New York .325/10/48 NO
OF Nate McLouth Pittsburgh .256/20/70 NO
OF Shane Victorino Philadelphia .292/10/62 NO

Next best hitters at position:
Ryan Bruan .320/32/114
Jason Werth .268/36/99
Andre Ethier .272/31/106

Dives on Routine plays:
Ryan Braun YES

I realize the incumbents are still very likely to repeat, especailly Victorino who played on a playoff team and I recognize Braun does not deserve the award but based on how it is handed out he should have a chance in theory. If he played on the Mets he would be winning his 2nd gold glove this off season.

Jeter was 3rd in the AL in fielding WAR by SS, only behind Andrus and Aybar who didn't play every day and are pretty young.

I do think he played better this year but using WAR to say he was third best is hardly an overwhelming endorsement of him being the best. As far as the other two not being full time players if a DH can win the gold glove by playing 20ish games at first then I think the other two qualified for short.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

It used to be that announcers joked that you had to be a good hitter to win a gold glove because that was about the only way to get a recognizable name. I get the feeling that now a lot people (I mean voters) believe that hitting is really part of the criteria. There are so many more ways to measure defense in the 21st century, yet the gold glove award seems to be less and less accurate.

A little off topic, but using the chart lets evaluate Braun's chances:

I realize the incumbents are still very likely to repeat, especailly Victorino who played on a playoff team and I recognize Braun does not deserve the award but based on how it is handed out he should have a chance in theory. If he played on the Mets he would be winning his 2nd gold glove this off season.

For outfielders, it looks like there needs to be another step added to the chart- have they played CF? I don't understand why there wouldn't be a separate award for each OF spot.

Archived