Brewer Fanatic

Catcher? Kendall, Molina, Blanco, Lucroy, Rivera, Salome ...

Bombers

With our up the middle defense being Escobar, Weeks, and Gomez is it imperative that we get an above average defender at Catcher? How important is it that we have a hitter who can hit? And is it me, or does it seem like when we play against Bengie Molina it feels like we are playing against Joe Mauer with the numbers Molina has against us? Maybe a little tunnel vision here, but it seems like Molina would fit in perfect in our lineup. He has also done a great job with the young staff in SF. Not sure how much money we are going to spend here. Maybe we invite Salome, Lucroy and Rivera to camp and have them compete for the starting spot.

Here are last years stats ...

AVG OBP OPS Fld% CS%
Molina 0.265 0.285 0.727 0.995 23%
Kendall 0.241 0.331 0.636 0.992 20%
Blanco 0.235 0.320 0.703 1.000 40%
Rivera 0.228 0.325 0.668 1.000 22%
Salome (AAA) 0.286 0.334 0.748 0.976 30%
Lucroy (AA) 0.267 0.380 0.798 0.991 40%

I'd also throw Chris Snyder in the discussion. He's coming off back surgery (supposed to be healthy for ST), and blocked in ARI. His contract isn't pretty 2yrs/~$12M, but ARI might be interested in a swap of bad contracts (Suppan for Snyder).

I'd have no problem with Kendall at $2M. The only C available with a higher OBP than Jason is Gregg Zaun.
I agree. Any more than $2M and I would say no way, but 1 year at $1-2M as a solid backup to help the the young guys out would be a great investment. I could see it starting out as maybe a 50/50 split with either Lucroy or Salome getting more playing time as they get more comfortable. This assumes one of them performs well enough to win the job out of spring training. I could see Kendall taking a pay cut over another team's offer to come back to Milwaukee.

Archived