Brewer Fanatic

Zaun maybe coming to the Brewers?

yoshii8

I still have serious doubts as to whether Rivera can actually hit. He swings at everything, and it seemed to me that teams realized that after a little while. I'd much rather have Zaun and have Rivera back in AAA.

He hit for a 778 ops the last two weeks of the season playing everyday. If teams realized that it they sure didn't adjust very well to it. Even if we did want to demote him to AAA I doubt a player his age, at a position in demand, with better numbers than many major leaguers at his postion would accept the demotion. We either keep Rivera on the 25 man roster or lose him. All things being equal I'd rather have the proven commodity. Things aren't equal. In fact they are several million away from equal. So I'd vote for the $400,000 calculated risk if it meant we could get a better centerfielder or another pitcher.

Zaun doesn't excite me. He'll be 35 next April and if they sign him to a substantial contract, he'd be expected to play at least 75% of the time. Frankly, I don't think at 35, he'd put up anything close to a .825 OPS playing that often. And after 2007, he'd likely get worse.

Besides, Rivera posted a very respectable .778 OPS playing every day the last two weeks

Well this is not about exciting the fans it is about improving a team and making sure we have solid cathcers. A lot of catchers hit better later in their careers, I'm not going to say Zaun is going to improve again. I do think that he will has some solid seasons left in him and with two vets behind the plate we would less to worry about.

Rivera has never been known as a hitter during his career. I see him regressing before Zaun. Rivera was an improvement over Bad Chad, but not the answer behind the plate.

I think Chad Moeller warped many of our minds into thinking Rivera is better than he really is....

Mike Rivera

AB AVG OBP SLG OPS

Career 339 .239 .285 .375 .660

2006 142 .268 .325 .158 .783

Catchers - Sept and Oct 2006 (Min. 50 ABs)

AB AVG OBP SLG OPS

R Hernandez 77 .351 .433 .688 1.122

B McCann 88 .318 .362 .693 1.055

J Posada 79 .316 .386 .646 1.032

B Molina 72 .333 .368 .625 .993

V Martinez 100 .350 .452 .500 .952

J Mauer 85 .329 .437 .506 .943

G Zaun 56 .304 .359 .536 .895

J Buck 50 .300 .364 .480 .844

I Rodriguez 95 .305 .343 .474 .817

M Rivera 60 .250 .324 .483 .807

M Piazza 67 .269 .338 .463 .801

C Iannetta 69 .261 .381 .406 .787

K Johjima 97 .268 .321 .464 .785

P Lo Duca 79 .316 .341 .443 .785

A Pierzynski 75 .280 .308 .467 .774

C Coste 70 .286 .342 .429 .771

Beware of small samples...but if we're going off of how players finished last season, I REALLY want Zaun then!

"Rivera has never been known as a hitter during his career".

Well hauser42, in 2001, at age 24, Rivera (in 415 AB's) in the AA Eastern League (a notorious pitcher's league) batted

.289/.357/.578 (.936 OPS) with 33 HR and 101 RBI.

Do you think Detroit called him up to the big leagues that September because of his defense?

Rivera was (and is) a good offensive catcher. For whatever reason, he lost his stroke there for a 2-3 year period when he played sparodically as a backup and bounced between big leagues and minors. He regained his stroke in 2005 in Nashville, and he's had it ever since.

Going back and checking the Rotoworld thing, it's so clear based on what was written and how it was written that that was a Toronto Sun baseball writer's mere speculation. I'm not suggesting we have an ideal situation at catcher, but we have at least a few other areas that would seem to be much more glaring needs and areas where Melvin & Co. would focus on spending available funds.

The fact that several folks are taking that remark as a gauge of the likelihood of signing Zaun sounds more like wishing for movement and trying to rationalize a slightly better (mid-30s) journeyman catcher than the two we have. I just don't see Greg Zaun as someone who's going to make a real difference for the Brewers without a host of other issues getting sorted out and resolved.

I just don't see Greg Zaun as someone who's going to make a real difference for the Brewers without a host of other issues getting sorted out and resolved.

Oh, I agree completely. I doubt anyone here is actually claiming or thinking that Zaun is the missing piece of the Brewers' playoff puzzle or anything like that, but anytime you can upgrade any position, no matter how small-moderate that upgrade might be in this case, you definitely have to consider it, even if it's not the 5th (and possibly 4th) starter that we need, or the bopping bat we're looking for, etc.

I've been crushing on Zaun being the Brewers' catcher for quite some time. I'd love for Zauner to get 60% of the playing time w/Miller.

I liked Rivera's number in AAA, but seeing him with the Brewers, he's not a good hitter. He's like Branyan without the ability to walk or drive the ball as far. He's not a horrid backup, but I'd be much comfortable with Zaun/Miller.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Zaun would be a great addition. I doubt the Brewers are going to make a big signing - no Schmidt for $15 million/year, no Soriano, etc. But they could make some important additions. Zaun would be a guy like that. Zaun, Lofton, relief pitcher or two (David Weathers?), resign Graffy, etc.

Perhaps we could make a deal for a 'down' player - Beltre, Burrell, etc. But more likely, adding some parts and count on improvements from the young and talented players. Weeks, Hardy, Prince, Bush, Hart, Capellan, Eveland and Carlos V are 25 and under. Cappy, Bush and Sheets are only 28, 27 and 28. Hall is only 26. This team should improve. Adding some extras can do wonders - especially if we stay healthy.

Archived