Brewer Fanatic

Nationals considering Riggleman, Valentine.

Invader3K

I remember there were a few here who wanted to see Bobby Valentine brought in as the Brewers manager last off-season, so I thought it was interesting to see he is being considered for the Nats position.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/11/odds-ends-.html

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Bobby Valentine would have been the perfect manager for this team. He is a great in game manager and loves young players. Hopefully he doesnt get the job in Washington so we can have another shot at him when Macha gets caught in another "zim zam" and cant find his way out.

It's interesting that Valentine keeps popping up as a candidate in these manager hunts, considering what happened that led to the Indians picking Manny Acta over him. The AP article noted that Acta got the job when he came into the interview incredibly prepared. Valentine lost it when he admitted he didn't study up on the Cleveland organization or the American League and said he wasn't even sure if he wanted the job...and this was the second interview. It may be an isolated incident, but I wouldn't be thrilled if he was mentioned as a serious finalist for my team, and I'd always be wondering if he really wanted to be there. He'd make most of the same mistakes any manager would, just with a few manufactured temper tantrums thrown in.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Community Moderator

I would rather hire a manager with little/no big league experience who is not an "old school" baseball mind. Ned Yost worked out well for us for a long time. Joe Madden has been great for the Devil Rays. Mike Scioscia has only managed 1 team.

Instead of looking at it from an experience standpoint, I see Valentine as someone who has been fired/dropped from 4 managerial jobs.

Archived