To whom do we offer arby?

CheezWizHed
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

CF Mike Cameron

C Jason Kendall

INF Felipe Lopez

RHP Braden Looper

RHP David Weathers

All are considered Class B FA. I was in the boat to keep Cameron, but that ship has sailed... Sounds like we can still offer Weathers arby, so if we decline Looper's option, I would guess the same is possible there.

I think you have to offer Lopez arby. If he accepts, you have more trade options. I think Looper/Weathers is coming down to the expected price of pitching this year. If Kendall is offered arby, I'm off Melvin's bandwagon (or maybe he is off his wagon...)

Craig Counsell

Frank Catalanotto

Claudio Vargas

Corey Patterson

These are the uncompensated FAs (better than no class FAs). Yes please for Vargas and Counsell.

I would offer Lopez. Maybe Cameron if you're sure he'll decline...otherwise you can't risk it. They can't afford his probable salary if they want to improve the rotation. Looper should go, as his spot in the rotation should be one that gets targeted for improvement.

Like you, I'd bring back Counsell and Vargas if possible. I'd let the others walk.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Lopez seems the only one that would receive at/or less his worth in arbitration. His class B status shouldn't hinder him signing a decent 2 year contract somewhere. I wouldn't mind keeping him since we don't have a legit leadoff hitter that is ready yet (assuming Escobar and/or Gomez may be there at some point and Weeks would be better in a different spot) and he's very flexible position wise...that may not be worth the money ($5mm?) when they are so desparate for pitching. I'd ditch Looper...we already are paying Suppan, no reason to have 2 of the same guy when we are already financially committed to Soup.

Counsell and Vargas will likely come back too.

I'd take the conservative route and not offer arby to any of the cats mentioned above....

The economy sucks & free agent contracts for average players will be lower than recent years....if a team is willing to be patient & wait out the process.....

However, arbitration is still a pooch-screw & many players will find that will be their best route to getting big $$$$$$

I still don't know why the Brewers wouldn't offer Cameron arbitration. He's going to receive plenty of attention this offseason, and he has to know that with Gomez' addition that he doesn't have the same spot in CF that he has the past two years. I know their are financial concerns offering him arbitration, but even the Padres are rumored to be interested in Cameron, as he's one of the few, true CFs on the free agent market at a position in need for a lot of teams.

Am I the only one who thinks Looper did a pretty good job pitching with a minor injury all year?

Probably.

If Cameron is an elite CF, then why has Elias tagged him as a class B free agent? I would think an elite CF must be in the top 20% of free agents, right? Elias needs to check out his WAR compared to Jermaine Dye and do some reconfiguring.

If Cameron is an elite CF, then why has Elias tagged him as a class B free agent?

Elias lumps CFs together with 1Bs, DHs, and corner OFs and doesn't consider defense for that group. So CFs are going to be vastly underrated. Unfortunately, I don't think they can change the Elias criteria until the next collective bargaining agreement.

I'd offer it to Cameron. He'll be starting, most likely in CF, for someone next year. Especially if he gets a Gold Glove. I see little chance on him actually accepting. And, if so, then trade Hart or be creative.

I'd offer it to Lopez too. Someone will be interested. He can start in the league somewhere.

I wouldn't offer it to anyone else. I'd worry that they'd accept. Yeah, I want Counsell back, but I want him at my price, not an arbiters.

Robert

If Cameron is an elite CF, then why has Elias tagged him as a class B free agent?
Because Elias has the dumbest rankings ever? Maybe I would take it more seriously if John Grabow didn't garner more compensation than Cameron, Carl Crawford, Rich Harden and Andy Pettitte.

Because Elias has the dumbest rankings ever? Maybe I would take it more seriously if John Grabow didn't garner more compensation than Cameron, Carl Crawford, Rich Harden and Andy Pettitte.
Its almost a joke how they rank them. Matsui isn't even a Class B! With so much at stake, draft picks and high dollar player compensation, you would think they could find a system that looks less like a monkey pulled names out of a hat.

...but the risk you face is IF Cameron and/or Lopez fail to get a reasonable free agent offer from another ball club and decide to accept the arbitration ruling (which will undoubtedly be much higher than their 2009 salary), then the budget money earmarked for pitching & other players is gone....

money doesn't grow on trees....

Wow, for some reason I'd been thinking Lopez was a type a. Even as a type b, I'd probably offer him arbitration. If he were to accept, and were rewarded even $6-7 million or so, I would think they would have pretty good odds at dumping him off on someone. I've got a hunch Lopez will decline anyways.

I personally hope they offer Cameron arbitration, it really wouldn't be a catastrophe if he accepted. Again, I would think the Brewers could find some team that would be happy to take on Cameron for $10 million or so a year.

Kendall I just can't justify offering arbitration to. That sandwich pick isn't worth the very high risk of Kendall accepting arbitration.

Looper I would offer arbitration to, I still see him as a 4.50-5.00 ERA guy going forward, which probably isn't much worse than what you'd get on the market for his price.

Weathers...I don't really need to finish this sentence, do I?

As for the others, I'd offer Counsell and Vargas arbitration (I'd take Counsell at up to $2 million and Vargas at up to $1 million), Catalanatto wouldn't be bad to have back, but I've got to pass on Patterson.

I think you don't offer Counsell, Vargas, or Catalanatto arbitration because there is no compensation if you do. All you do is guarantee they will get paid more than last year. Patterson you pretend is just Macha's imaginary friend and don't acknowledge his existence.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Lopez is a lock just because we traded for him during the season and will want to get a draft pick to make up for the loss in the farm system since there's a very good chance he'll decline it. The only guys who are also worth the risk imo are Counsell and Vargas, but I honestly don't see the Brewers extending them it.

Archived