Brewer Fanatic

Is there a 2B who could hit leadoff?

I realize the Brewers want Weeks to stick at 2B, and I don't blame them, but in an effort to improve the team D, and find someone else to lead off so Weeks can try to develop his power, is there a 2B who could come in and be a short-term solution?

I think moving Weeks to CF and Hall to LF, and perhaps sticking somone like Loretta or Durham in at 2B as a leadoff guy for one, possibly two years might work. I don't know if either of those players still have leadoff skills, but I think going this route would give Milwaukee a very competitive lineup.

If you had Hall, Weeks and Hart in the OF, Estrada behind the plate, with Koskie at 3B until Braun is there, Hardy, Fielder and a respectable veteran 2B in there, that works for me.

Melvin missed on Pierre and Roberts, maybe Lofton works for a year, but I do not want a 2-year deal with a 40-year-old nomad. If a leadoff guy wasn't out there as a centerfielder, how about at 2B?

Thoughts? Loretta or Durham? Anyone I may be overlooking?

I would love Loretta back, but what will it take?

If the Brewers are so convinced Hall can't play CF, why not move Weeks back to his college position. That makes CF a good offensive position, Hall can shift to 2b, and all are happy. We still wouldn't have a decent leadoff option other than Weeks, though. Perhaps the Loretta idea has some merit. Hall to LF, Weeks to CF, Loretta signed at 2b and leadoff.

yeah i think if melvin doesnt find a leadoff hitter this offseason it will be a big negative. Weeks needs to bat 6th, in my opinion. It will help him develop his power, as well as add some speed to the bottom of the lineup. As far as moving him, I'd like to see his defense at 2nd base for another season. He made huge strides before his injury. Plus moving both him and Hall to the outfield in the same season makes me al ittle nervous. Especially with Hart, who has only been in the outfield for what, 3 or 4 seasons now?

How about Tony Graffanino?

If the brewers can resign the guy for 2 years at 5 million, and move weeks to Center, then I think they'll be a better team..

I know its not too exotic a move, but Graffy is better than Loretta at this point in their careers...and its a real possibility..

I completely agree Pogokat. It certainly would not be the "sexy" move that most fans want to see, but it would strengthen the outfield and give us a consistent leadoff hitter (unless the Brewers were looking for speed). This is a very realistic idea.

Rickie Weeks proved himself in the field once 2006 really got rolling, and proved he is a viable leadoff hitter as well (.363 OBP is solid). He has the speed preferred in that lineup slot. Moving him makes little to no sense -- many people on this site love to hang their hat on the "exceeds his positional peers' production" argument, and that certainly fits with Weeks.

He has the athletic ability and range of Roberto Alomar, but has quite a way to go with his accuracy - both in throwing and fielding. But I for one saw DRAMATIC improvement during the 2006 season for Weeks in the field. Just because someone is fast and athletic does not mean they can play OF, especially CF. That's the main reason the Angels went out & overpaid for Matthews.

Angels fans/observers often noted that Figgins would take incorrect routes to balls. Typically, speed & athleticism can compensate, but not always, and clearly not enough even for the lightning fast Figgins, who LAA now views as expendable. People assume too much on this site when they note how "easy" CF is to play, especially calling it easier than a corner spot. I know most of us played ball at some point in our lives, and for the rest of you former/current outfielders, I don't think I'm the only one that'll stand up for CF being the biggest responsibility and challenge out of the 3 OF spots.

Rickie is finally getting adjusted to the difficult challenge of playing a middle IF MLB spot. Melvin & Yost have said time & time again he's the 2B for now & the future. He's going to be a special player at 2B, moving him to CF would just make so little sense

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

....and Weeks in CF, at his potential, would make him closer to an above-average CFer instead of the Sandberg-type superstar that he could turn out to be at 2nd base.

Plus offensive numbers often tend to dip when a young player has to learn a new position, and why would we want that? Keep Weeks at 2nd!

i think most favor weeks at second

however, when trying to fill our Cf hole (if you think we have one) many have astutely noticed that guys like juan pierre and dave roberts are getting crazy money to hit about the same as a guy like graffy or loretta..

so, instead of weeks + Roberts (and 8 million dollars), we get weeks +graffy (and 3 million) and lose no production whatsoever, sans about 35 stolen bases..

Archived