Brewer Fanatic

Free Agents you like for the Brewers other then SPs

Hotdog
Completely wasted by making every throw from his heels and not getting his body into it. He's one of the worst throwing outfielders I've ever seen, it's like he was never taught to do it properly. Add to that his maddening proclivity to stiffly swing two feet over the top of any ball pitched less than 30 inches off the ground, and you can count me among the group that's ready for an upgrade at RF.
I can only hope this hyperbole.

Perhaps he's not Francouer, but one of the worst throwing OF'ers you've ever seen?

The problem as I see it with Hart is quite a bit more simple. He doesn't get any air under his throws. For instance in the All-Star game he threw it exactly how they teach you in Little League. To hit your cut off man. Forget the cutoff man, get it to the catcher on a fly.

Anyway, we need to upgrade over our 2009 RF production. However Corey Hart is not only capable of doing so, I think it's a fairly good bet he will.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shelley Duncan chooses free agency over outright assignment to AAA from the Yankees. He hit .277/.370/.546 for AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Berry this year...might be an option for cheap power off the bench, or maybe a fit in right if Corey Hart isn't in future plans? Or am I just crazy? He's already 30, which probably contributes to his dominance of AAA pitching, but adding him would definitely make games against daddy's Cardinals interesting.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

There are a lot of solid FA outfielders, some of whom have already been mentioned. I like:

Rick Ankiel

Xavier Nady

Coco Crisp

Rocco Baldelli

Marlon Byrd

none of these guys would command a huge contract.

Also lots of good relievers (excluding those likely to get big contracts as closers - Gonzales, Valverde, Soriano, Wagner - and type A's):

JJ Putz

Kelvim Escobar

Fernando Rodney

Brandon Lyon

Joe Beimel

Will Ohman

Also lots of good relievers (excluding those likely to get big contracts as closers - Gonzales, Valverde, Soriano, Wagner - and type A's):

JJ Putz

Kelvim Escobar

Fernando Rodney

Brandon Lyon

Joe Beimel

Will Ohman

804, I'm right with you on this one. I'd be surprised if Melvin doesn't go get one of these guys, and I'd add Saito to that list as well. There is a surplus of solid relievers to be had out there, which will drive down the price and make some bargains available. Beyond the guys you mentioned, you also have interesting names like Kiko Calero, Brendan Donnelly, and Danys Baez, among others.

Edit: Octavio Dotel (if not offered arby), Chad Cordero as well

DeRosa isn't going to go somewhere without a starting spot open.

If they get a LH reliever, Shouse would love to return, and he's oodles cheaper than Biemel.

Move McGehee to right, stick DeRosa at third, trade Hart?

As for Beimel vs. Shouse, Beimel's my preference - he is nine years younger, and averaged nine more games and 20 more innings per year. Shouse has too much of a risk that he'll suddenly decline - Beimel looks like a surer bet.

If you're going to do this, why not just keep DeRosa in RF and McGehee at 3rd?

In one scenario a player has to learn a position he's never played, in another two players can play positions they've played for some time.

I would also prefer Beimel, the problem however is that Shouse knows Milwaukee and may be more inclined to return whereas Beimel wouldn't prefer Milwaukee over any other place.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I see plenty of relievers falling to $1M per later in the offseason. With Hoffman, Coffey, Stetter, and probably Carlos V in the picture (and Narveson will likely be as well, as he's out of options and they'll want him around as a #6/7 SP), there's only a spot or two left. They'll see if Claudio returns first.

I'm still hoping for Gregg Zaun as a one year stopgap behind the plate.

I see plenty of relievers falling to $1M per later in the offseason. With Hoffman, Coffey, Stetter, and probably Carlos V in the picture (and Narveson will likely be as well, as he's out of options and they'll want him around as a #6/7 SP), there's only a spot or two left. They'll see if Claudio returns first.

I'm still hoping for Gregg Zaun as a one year stopgap behind the plate.

I agree Al, and I'd hope they look at Calero, Donnelly, and Baez, as I could see those guys falling into the salary range you mentioned. Benoit is another guy (who you've mentioned) and we might even be able to get him on a minor league deal

I've always liked Jermaine Dye, but from what I've heard he is terrible in RF. Maybe a switch to full time LF would work for him?

Dye isn't a terrible RF, he just can't run any more. Period. Range is down to nothing.

Dye also fell apart offensively over the last half of 2009. After the All Star break he hit .179/.293/.297.

In short at soon to be 36, it certainly appears he's got nothing left in the tank. Even if his bat revives, he's strictly an AL player.

Now lets talk Zaun. What is it with Melvin, and his fascination with elderly catchers? Sure Zaun's numbers looked pretty decent in 09, but so did Damien Miller's the year before he became a Brewer and Jason Kendall was nearly a lifetime .300 hitter before he became a Brewer.

Zaun will be 39 in April, isn't familiar with either NL pitching or most NL hitters and is likely at the tipping point of being done. I hardly see him as an improvement over what they now have. Why waste money on this guy when you're too cheap to even offer Lopez?

Someone mentioned Jerry Hairston Jr on another thread. A bench player with some pop. Could be the righty with the Hurricane and Gerut being the lefties on the bench. It would great to see Counsell back but everyone's dreaming if they think his offensive numbers will be close to this past seasons. We need some bats with extra base ability on the bench.

Still like Fernando Rodney and also Rick Ankiel if Cory Hart is dealt.

Now lets talk Zaun. What is it with Melvin, and his fascination with elderly catchers? Sure Zaun's numbers looked pretty decent in 09, but so did Damien Miller's the year before he became a Brewer and Jason Kendall was nearly a lifetime .300 hitter before he became a Brewer.

I would take Damien Miller's production as a Brewer in a second out of Zaun if we sign him. Signing Zaun gives us stability in case Lucroy/Salome aren't ready and Kottaras/Rivera aren't productive in a larger role. Going into the season with any combo of Lucroy/Salome/Kottaras/Rivera behind the plate leaves me a bit uneasy and Zaun is an improvement over Kendall. I'd welcome any reasonably priced signing of Zaun.

Archived