Brewer Fanatic

Free Agents you like for the Brewers other then SPs

Hotdog
Rick Ankiel. Trade Hart + for Javier Vasquez and put Ankiel in RF.
That has some definite appeal. But Ankiel's showing all the endurance as a fielder as he showed staying power as a pitcher -- and all this with less-than-Cameron caliber results at the plate (save a slightly lower K rate).

Much as I'd hate to give up Hart, I think the Brewers REALLY need Vazquez.

I do like the Hinske idea for a 4th OF.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to see Omar Vizquel. I think he would be a great tutor for Escobar and Weeks, and would be able to come in as a late inning defensive replacement for Weeks.

I feel like there is just so much knowledge to share there that he would be worth bringing in.

Chone Figgins

Melvin should be all over this guy. He addresses our 3rd base question. He can lead off. He can play 2nd or OF. He's good on the bases.

IMO Gamel is not ready to start. Weeks has been unreliable, if he goes down again our season is over. Figgins would make our offense so much better.

The Brewers already have 2 3B, why do they need an incredibly expensive 3rd one? Figgins was great last year, before that above average.
I'll take the above average version of Figgens any day. Reasons to grab Figgens:

1. Figgens has produce more than just 1 year in majors. Gamel has not at all and McGehee only one year and was hurt. Both are still question marks.

2. Figgens has the flexibility to be played in centerfield and at 3b. Figgens could play full time and still platoon at center with Gomez and 3b with McGehee.

3. Figgens would be by far and away our best lead-off hitter as I don't see us signing Lopez with Weeks on the roster.

4. Figgens provides us with the opportunity to package Gamel (one of our best trading chips) for a legit starting pitcher that is not currently available in the FA market.

5. Figgens is the perfect compliment, in his prime, not over the hill, brings experience to a very young team.

Our best option for legit starting pitching talent is to trade for one. Signing Figgens makes it easier to acquire that legit starting pitcher. Its a simple move that can address a lot of question marks/problem areas.

What would people think of signing Jack Cust if he's non-tendered to free up Corey Hart as trade bait?

MLBTradeRumors.com reports this from Buster Olney:

Jack Cust could be in line for a $4.5MM payday through arbitration, which just might get him non-tendered. Given all the DH-types on the market, that might not be a good thing for Cust.

How bad is he defensively? He played 51 games in rightfield last year. But he'd be a nice left-handed bat to put in the lineup if you can stomach the strikeouts:

2007-09 Averages: .241/.378/.462/.840 - 463 AB, 75 R, 28 HR, 76 RBI, 103 BB, 182 K

Figgins will be 32 in January. He's several years past his prime.
Considering that most hitters don't mature only they are 27-28, your definition of prime has a very very small range of what 2, 3 years tops? I know that we are very spoiled with Braun and Fielder being so young and still being great hitters but that is more the exception than the norm besides the fact that they will in all likelihood get better. Figgens is definitely in the back end of his prime and a 4 year signing would likely see a decline in production in year 4 and maybe 3 but he would still be a great get for what he provides. Lots of really good players who will be 30 plus this year that I would love to have on our team.

Figgins is a fun aquisition to think about, but he really doesn't make much sense for the Brewers right now as they need most of their available payroll to upgrade their pitching. Whoever gets him will have a solid return on their investment. He's a solid all-around player most likely worth his contract.

Kendall has a history of "calling a good game" -- I just didn't see or hear anything from Lopez this season that indicated he was a bad apple by any stretch. He was a quiet guy (at least in terms of the media), didn't showboat or hot-dog his way to any mistakes. I really think his 'rep' is overblown.
You can take this for what it's worth, but knowing several people who work for the Brewers, and who deal with these players on a daily basis when they do many of their community events, I have not heard Good things about Lopez. Many of them had more.....disparaging remarks about him than any player who they've ever dealt with.

Like I said, I don't expect you to take a poster on the internet talking about people he knows who knows.....etc..as gospel, just something to consider.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I think you are over stating the importance of the corner outfield spot. Braun and Bay are both serviceable outfielders who can get by out there. Gomez I guess is a good fielder who can cover a lot of ground. While it's true that defense it important, I think offense is more important, and offensively I wouldn't even put Cameron and Bay in the same league. Imagine what Bay could do, RBI wise, hitting behind Braun and Fielder.

I don't believe he would put up better numbers with the Brewers than he did with the Sox. In fact, I believe his numbers would actually decline a bit not having the Green Monster out there.

I'm not one who buys into defensive metrics as much as others, but I think a lot of people are vastly underrating defense. Cameron's the type of guy who if you get to watch him everyday, you see just how easy he makes it look. Bay on the other hand is awful.

The difference between their defensive values far outweight the difference in their offense IMO.

Plus, if you took Cam and put him in Boston with the Green Monster, I think his numbers would see quite a jump.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

LHP Joe Beimel - A reliever who has done well. Over the last four years (2006-2009) he's pitched 72 games, 3.17 ERA. Would be helpful in the bullpen, particularly to complement Mitch Stetter.

2B/3B/LF/RF Mark DeRosa - Utility player who could be valuable depth. He's also played some 1B and SS.

Hart has ... a strong arm
Completely wasted by making every throw from his heels and not getting his body into it. He's one of the worst throwing outfielders I've ever seen, it's like he was never taught to do it properly. Add to that his maddening proclivity to stiffly swing two feet over the top of any ball pitched less than 30 inches off the ground, and you can count me among the group that's ready for an upgrade at RF.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

DeRosa isn't going to go somewhere without a starting spot open.

If they get a LH reliever, Shouse would love to return, and he's oodles cheaper than Biemel.

Move McGehee to right, stick DeRosa at third, trade Hart?

As for Beimel vs. Shouse, Beimel's my preference - he is nine years younger, and averaged nine more games and 20 more innings per year. Shouse has too much of a risk that he'll suddenly decline - Beimel looks like a surer bet.

Hart has ... a strong arm
Completely wasted by making every throw from his heels and not getting his body into it. He's one of the worst throwing outfielders I've ever seen, it's like he was never taught to do it properly. Add to that his maddening proclivity to stiffly swing two feet over the top of any ball pitched less than 30 inches off the ground, and you can count me among the group that's ready for an upgrade at RF.
I wasn't suggesting Hart's an All-Star in his present form. I think he could rebound to that level -- and I'd like to see it happen -- but of course no one knows for sure if that will or won't occur. And I do agree, if he only sustains his '09 level of production & habit patterns, the Brewers could certainly stand an upgrade in RF.

valpocrewsader wrote:

Completely wasted by making every throw from his heels and not getting his body into it. He's one of the worst throwing outfielders I've ever seen, it's like he was never taught to do it properly.

He was a 1B when he was drafted...

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived