Brewer Fanatic

Adam Heether added to 40 man roster

yoshii8

I think I just heard X ellence scream in excitement somewhere http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Good move, and it's about time. I know I'm not the only one that was surprised that he didn't get a chance to show what he could do in September, even if there was more of a roster crunch. His addition may allow the team to deal Casey McGehee more comfortably while his value is high.

Good point on maybe being able to deal McGehee with Heether on the roster, Colby. I know Baltimore needs a 3B. I'd be happy to do a Guthrie deal for Casey, as I appear to be Guthrie's biggest fan. Otherwise, Philadelphia is an option. It'd be nice to deal McGehee and a sweetener for JA Happ. if possible.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Yeah, I suppose its possible, but I kind of doubt we will see McGehee, Gamel and Heether on the 40-man for ST. I'm on the fence for trading McGehee or Gamel (assuming the return for Gamel is higher).

But in either case, flexibility is good.

Can he be kept in the minors for another year without exposing him to waivers? If so he could be a nice replacement possibility for Weeks. If not he could be traded for help in other areas. I don't see him being able to handle part time duty on a Macha team. He's too young and inexperienced to be productive playing once a month.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Heether was going to be a minor league free agent, but when a player is added to the 40-man they immediately come under major league free agency guidelines, and Heether is obviously still well short of six years of big league service.

He now has three option years, so he can stay in the minors through at least 2012.

Sounds to me like another potential "zim zam" for Macha.

What does that mean?

Possible similar situation to Macha's mid-season quote about getting Gamel worked into the infield rotation, "It gets to be a jam. You're developing a guy, so do you put the pressure on him that he's going to be up there with guys on base all the time? ... In a way, I was put into a little bit of a 'zim-zam.' It's got me flummoxed."

I think I just heard X ellence scream in excitement somewhere

It really did bring a smile to my face, as I just hate to see hard working people suffer such an injustice. This does help restore some faith in the current regime for me. They're 2/3 so far, with Peterson and Heether on the positive side of the ledger. Hopefully I am wrong about Gomez's bat, maybe they see another McGehee. They do know bats well, hopefully they let Peterson fix their view of pitchers.

As others have said, keeping Heether makes it easier to deal McGehee. As of right now, Heether is also our only backup righthanded hitting OF.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

It is nice that Heether is on the roster. Hopefully he gets a fair shot like Casey did last year.

However, I heard his bat may be too slow for MLB pitching but I would like to see that for myself. I have a sense he is probably just a "guy" like Drew Anderson, but we shall see.

I have a sense he is probably just a "guy" like Drew Anderson, but we shall see.

Thats possible, but Drew Anderson never had a AAA season like Heether did this year, with a 400/501/901, and Anderson didn't play 2B/3B.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Haha -- I wasn't sure how to word that without it being a brain-twister. Closer to "starter next year" than "worthless" on Gamel. I was trying to talk about the value in trading McGehee v. trading Gamel, since it seems inevitable that one of the two will be dealt this offseason.

Heether can handle 2B & 3B, and has demonstrated the kind of hitting results in the minors over the past 3 seasons that McGehee didn't. Now, I want to be clear that I think McGehee is a solid player. I hope this helps what I'm trying to say make sense, and keep in mind this is just imo:

Heether + Gamel + [return on McGehee] > Heether + McGehee + [return on Gamel]

Heether along with McGehee seems to be redundant. Heether along with Gamel seems to be more complimentary.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Glad to see this move happen. Heether certainly deserved it. It would be great if Casey can be moved or packaged for some pitching. Don't know how likely that is, but I think it's the best use of player resources right now.

Archived