Brewer Fanatic

right field

mancl
Looks like it is Braun and Gomez long term for the Brewers in left and center but what about right field? Cain had a rough year but he still has talent. If he is the right fielder of the future does it mean the Gamel is in the infield if he isn't traded? If Gamel is the rightfielder what happens to Cain?

Those are all decisions that don't have to be made for at least 6-12 months. I don't think that by acquiring Gomez the team's CF job is settled for the next 2-4 years. Cain can continue to be brought along patiently, since he did have a disappointing 2009 season. Assuming Cain is at AAA and Schafer is at AA, the Brewers actually have some nice, young talent at the position to play with.

I know quite a few people assume that Angel Salome is likely to be dangled this offseason given Jonathan Lucroy's progression, and maybe Cain will be too. But again, it's a good problem to have depth, especially with so much uncertainty as to how these players will perform. There's no rush to figure out how that depth fits in now, and I'd prefer to see it held onto, if possible, just in case the players we think will succeed don't.

Did you forget that RF right now is Corey Hart? You can't sell low on everyone. Give the guy a chance to get healthy & rebound.

Gamel's no shoo-in to be moved to the OF and should still be worth more in trade than Hart, at least in some ways, because other than the last couple months of '09, he's totally mashed in the minors and not looked overmatched in his first few ML cups of coffee, and he's got stud-hitter potential --- and hasn't had enough of a chance to totally blow that mystique or scouting report, either.

Due to his poor & injury-inhibited '09 season, Cain's gotta be an '11 arrival at the soonest unless he magically puts it all together this year to the point that the Brewers can't resist bringing him up. Remember that under Melvin & Nichols, for the most part they're really more inclined to make sure prospects earn their promotions & aren't overly rushed to the bigs.

I could even see Hart being non tendered at this point. After this Hardy trade we may really need to face the possible reality that we will need to completely rebuild again.
Boy, I think you're going a bit overboard on the doom & gloom posts, even more than usual, bklyn.

There is no way Hart gets non-tendered, at least not this off-season. He still has value and ability, as guys with his combination of size and speed don't grow on trees. We just probably have to accept that he figures to be a very average player instead of the All-Star caliber outfielder some of us thought he could be.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I havent checked the list of available free agents but I doubt that Hart is worth 5 mil or so to us. Free agents like Abreu and Dunn were way undervalued last offseason and we may be able to upgrade from Hart for 5 mil or so. Corey has become a very average outfielder and Im not sure we should spend good money on him.

Now that I'm thinking a bit more about it, Braun and Gomez have pretty good speed in the outfield, so why not move Gamel to RF? I'm sure being a 3B, he's got a pretty strong arm. That way we keep his bat, and McGeehee's in the lineup. Of course, trade Hart for what you can get in pitching.

Guerrero can still play RF, but with his injuries, he is probably more suited to just being a DH from here on out. That makes his likely destination an American League team, the Angels or otherwise.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

If they can trade Hart, and free up his money, it would be like getting Cam for around $5M instead of 10M.

He was paid $3.2M last year, and that will go up this year as it's his second year of Arby.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived