Brewer Fanatic

Changing speeds a bit for CF

aracko

I have changed my mind a bit. Initally I really was intersted in Kenny Lofton(still am). But as I look at the available guys and I think about the potential rewards, I keep coming up with the same answer. Steve Finley.

Brewers Needs

#1 - A Center Fielder

#2 - Pop in the middle of the order

#3 - Solid Defense

#4 - Veteran influence

#5 - Winning attitude

Clearly Steve Finley offers defense as evidenced by his FIVE GOLD GLOVES. He is a member of baseballs 300-300 club with 300 HRs and 300 SBs.

"Steve Finley has slipped quite a bit the last few years"

A - Yes he has but look at how much he has moved. 2004 was his last really good year. His entire career has been played in the NL wiht the exception of 2005 - where he moved to the AL - adjustment period. Then 2006 he moved back to the NL again. Another adjustment period. These things can play tricks with guys heads I really believe.

Steve Finley is a great player. I think he could answer some questions that we have in this lineup. Nobody can question the fact that he will play a great CF. The best that can happen is he gets his stroke back and hits 20 + HRs in CF and plays Gold Glove Defense and comes up wiht loads of big hits like veterans can do. He can be your #2 hitter - where he hits .323 on his career. He can push for 3000 hits as a Milwaukee Brewer.

The worst that could happen is you could have him in the bottom 3rd of your order where he still plays real good defense and you are on the books for 1 or 2 years at about 6 million per who knows how to put the ball in play and knows situational hitting.

His #s away from SF were far better than his #s at home. He went to College at Southern Ill - so he might welcome a return to the Midwest.

(plus he can pitch - 2001 - 1IP 0.00 career ERA.)

while there was a bit of vinegar in endarounds statement, the point still stands:

finley is mid 40's---and guys in their mid forties don't come back once they fall down...that's why rickey henderson is gone, and not coming back...

the only example that stands against this is julio franco, and i'm pretty sure he brokered adeal with the devil to make it happen

I'm not a fan of this, I think Finley is done. It's not just Finley, I'm not thrilled with the pursuit of Stewart either. If I have to have one of these guys for a year, make it Lofton, I prefer none of the above.

This is the one angle I disagree with Melvin on, I would like a good leadoff guy who can steal a bag, CF seems like a logical defensive position for this....but only if it fits, don't reach for a stereotype.

In staying with the CF thing, has anyone heard of the Giants signing of Roberts being official? I remember Melvin saying yesterday that he thought he could sign Roberts if he went 4 years. But they (thankfully) didn't want to do that.

I'm just worried he might be changing his mind.

This is the one angle I disagree with Melvin on, I would like a good leadoff guy who can steal a bag, CF seems like a logical defensive position for this....but only if it fits, don't reach for a stereotype.

Hell of a good post. I'm of the same thinking with all the spots in the lineup. I keep reading major league average for stats for some spot and I laugh. We need to put the best team out there we have not a bunch of sqaure pegs in round holes.

Archived