Brewer Fanatic

Gamel for Happ?

The Phillies are looking for a third baseman. Just thinking that their staff already has two lefties and they may not want to carry as many as four lefties in their rotation. Right now they have Lee, Hamels, Happ, and possibly Moyer for next year.

The Brewers could get a young pitcher with alot of upside and only trade one of their prospects.

Thoughts?

The Phillies are looking for a third baseman. Just thinking that their staff already has two lefties and they may not want to carry as many as four lefties in their rotation. Right now they have Lee, Hamels, Happ, and possibly Moyer for next year.

The Brewers could get a young pitcher with alot of upside and only trade one of their prospects.

Thoughts?

If the Phillies were not willing to give up Happ for Lee why would they give him up for Gamel?

They weren't going to include him with 3 other prospects. If it were straight up for Lee, it would've been done right away.

If I remember the trade correctly Happ wasn't even in the discussion as in the Phillies were not going to let him go.

I wouldn't really want Happ anyway, his K/BB is barely above two and he's not a groundball pitcher. His ERA will rise to probably the upper 3's or higher next season unless he improves. He's not really that young either, at age 27.

From Andy at the BBRef blog:

I also wouldn't be shocked if [Cole] Hamels isn't back with the team next year.
It does seem like Hamels is on the outs in Philly due to a combination of bad luck, unrealistic expectations, personality "issues", and the need for a scapegoat. If Philly's so disillusioned with him that they'd put him on the market, he'd be an excellent buy-low candidate for the Brewers to pursue via trade.

Happ is solid, but he's not as good as his 2.9 ERA might suggest. His K/bb is fairly pedestrian. I wouldn't be too happy if they gave up Gamel for him, but at the same time I think this would be a case of each team overvaluing its own player because I'd be surprised if Philly gave up Happ for Gamel. They'd be foolish to give up on Hamels, but if they did I would hope the Brewers would make an aggressive effort to get him.

The Phillies lineup really leans to the left already, so McGehee might be a better fit for them.

Joe Blanton might interest the Brewers. He was drafted by the A's, at the time Rick Peterson was putting his stamp on their pitching draftees. He's not great, he should actually be worth less than McGehee because of service time issues. Blanton was better when his conditioning was better, and might pitch closer to his 2005-07 form with the help of the vigorous workouts Peterson puts his pitchers through.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I don't see the Phillies all that interested in Gamel. They could use a right handed bat in their lineup. I don't think they'll give up a quality young arm for McGehee either.

Gamel is the guy who the Brewers need to shop if they want quality in return. I love McGehee, but teams tend to overpay for guys who were hyped as prospects, just as the Brewers did for Gomez, and a solid 4 months as a starter isn't going to convince them that Casey is worth a top young arm.

Who cares if the guy is 27? The amount of arby years is way more important than age. If the guy is that good, we won't have him after the arby years anyway.

You may get more quality from a guy at ages 27-30 than from 22-25. He certainly should have life left in his arm by age 30.

Archived