Brewer Fanatic

Weathers' option declined

And That

My favorite?

Nov. 6th 2009 -- Weathers option declined.

Second favorite --

I was at a Brewers game some years ago, and some dude either was wearing or had a Weathers jersey, -- and Weathers was on the visiting team, and I think signed this guys jersey - the whole things seemed pretty funny to me. I think Weathers teammates thought it was funny some Brewer fan was still wearing his gear

I was at a Brewers game some years ago, and some dude either was wearing or had a Weathers jersey, -- and Weathers was on the visiting team, and I think signed this guys jersey - the whole things seemed pretty funny to me. I think Weathers teammates thought it was funny some Brewer fan was still wearing his gear
That could have been brewerjamie15. Was it a mid-90s era jersey?
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Good riddance, getting him was a terrible move all along. I have no idea what Melvin was thinking on that one.
It really didn't cost the Brewers anything when they acquired him. No player was sent to the Reds in that deal only some cash.

I was a Weathers fan during his first stint with the team. I seem to recall him having some crazy streak where he never let an inheritted runner score.

Picking up Weathers for cash was certainly a lot better deal than when they originally traded him for Ruben Quevedo.

It really didn't cost the Brewers anything when they acquired him. No player was sent to the Reds in that deal only some cash.

How can you say it didn't cost anything? It cost them money, that's definitely something and it's definitely something that could be better used than on a bad, old reliever.

How can you say it didn't cost anything? It cost them money, that's definitely something and it's definitely something that could be better used than on a bad, old reliever.
Not losing a player even a very questionable prospect for a middle reliever is fine by me. The money that went for Weathers really wouldn't have been used on anyone else. You wouldn't have gotten much in terms of the money that was sent back to the Reds. It really didn't cost the Brewers all that much to trade for Weathers.

I don't know how much he cost for what he played, but I'm guessing the total was around $750,000 considering his buyout, his salary for playing and the cash we sent to the Reds. Once again, that's just lighting $750,000 on fire imo.

If COTS is right, the Brewers owe Weathers $400m for buying out 2010....right???????

What is the 2010 salary budget?

....what people are forgetting (from the Hardy trade thread) is that the team is looking at $8.15mm in total salary increases for Fielder, Hoffman, Looper (assuming he comes back), Riske, Braun and the aforementioned Weathers' buyout.....

....not to mention salary increases for Gallardo, Bush, Hart, Weeks, Gerut, McClung, Coffey, etc.....

My favorite Weathers memory during his first stint with the team was the late nineties opening day game with the rain delay. Our opening day starter was Rafael Roque and he only went a couple of innings. Weathers threw three or four innings after the rain and Sean Berry hit a home run to key the victory. I thought that we might have enough hitting that year to break the Molitor curse and win more than 81 games.

Weathers has really had quite a career. It is amazing how long he has stuck around. I don't think I have a favorite memory during his second stint, but when he was with the Reds, I remember lurking around their bullpen and some Brewer fans were calling him "Tackleberry" from the Police Academy movies and I just about spilled my nachos from laughter.

No love for Stormy, huh? He pitched well for the Brewers when all we had to look forward to was good relief pitching. It's too bad he was brought back, but I mostly remember his time as a Brewer fondly.
I will say this: the second go-round for Stormy didn't bother me nearly as much as when the Brewers brought back Jaime Navarro. Good luck to David going forward.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

This is good. The weathers trade was a head scratcher, I didn't see much future for the players traded, but a waste of money.

My favorite would be the last series in St Louis. His son (Brian) was off of school that weekend and spent the weekend on the field with his dad. Was cool, they did drills etc. Had nothing to do with his play on the field, but more that he's a regular joe with a family.

Archived