Brewer Fanatic

Jenkins to White Sox?

joshjs

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-061125rogers,1,2137639.column?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

Just some speculation here -- apparently there's some question over whether the Sox should offer Scott Podsednik arbitration or just get rid of him, and Geoff's name came up. I don't want Scotty Po back, but I might be able to get behind a deal for Alex Cintron or one of their middle relievers. Dave Aardsma, maybe?

Quote:
"We certainly can't outspend them. But even though they're stocking up, I'm not afraid of them."?Brewers manager Ned Yost on the Cubs.

Hard not to love that guy!

I don't think we can expect anything much more than a solid middle reliever for Jenks (which would be fine, as long as the vast majority of his salary went along to the south side). To get a Garcia or Vazquez, a prospect, and a pretty good one, would probably have to be in the mix.

I, for one, am not in favor of dealing a CV, Inman, or whatever just to land a starter. There are still solid 4/5 FA pitchers available. If Turnbow could generate any interest (IF), or Clark seems like a decent choice for ChiSox, cool. But I'd be willing to bet Kenny Williams won't bite. He'll be getting better offers for both of those pitchers, and the way the Crew could separate from the pack is to cough up a prospect that we'd regret in the long run. If the ChiSox are desperate (IF), we can swing a deal. If not, I think there are better options elsewhere. The Yanks proved for years that trading away your young guys tends to not work out

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

RoCoBrewfan,

Were you okay with Melvin offering a 3 year deal to Roberts?

Podsednik is basically the same player. Career numbers are almost identical. It could be argued Scotty's ceiling is higher as he is younger and his best year (albeit as you pointed out it was in 2003) is better than any year that Roberts has put together. Podsednik has also proven he can be a key member of a championship team. You can argue all you want about numbers but over the first half of 2005, before injuring his hamstring, he was spark that Sox needed to get off to that hot start.

The Sox could use Jenkins. They could also really use Damian Miller who is now expendable from a Brewer standpoint (anyone know if Miller has no-trade clause?). Whether is Podsednik or some other player(s), I think there are some possibilities with the Sox so Rogers is not really off base here.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The highest OPS Podsednik has had in the last 3 years is .700.

Over the last 3 years Roberts has put up OPS' of .753, .784, and .772. Podsednik was caught stealing in 19 of 59 attempts last year, while Roberts was caught stealing 6 times in 55 attempts.

Roberts is 34, Podsednik is 30. I think Podsednik is at the age and experience where we can safely say that what we see is what he is.

Podsednik has also proven he can be a key member of a championship team.

Some people put value in this stuff, I don't. He was on a great team all around. That was still a 90+ win team whether they had Podsednik or a league average player in his place, imo.

If we're going to use postseason appearances as measuring sticks, maybe I should point out that Dave Roberts has a career batting average of .321 in 28 post season at bats.

Sorry Roco, I don't buy your argument. Roberts at 31 put up a .637 OPS with the Dodgers. If you could say we've seen all Pods is, then you would have had to say the same for Roberts back in 2003. Until last year, he didn't play everyday while Podsednik has for 4 straight years.

Look up the lifetime splits. Pods has around 150 more AB's vs. lefties, and a greater percentage of his AB's have come vs. lefties. So those OPS figures you sight for 04 and 05 came against mostly right handed pitching.

As for 2005, Pods at one point had stolen 50 out of 59. Then he tweaked his hamstring which bothered him the rest of the year and greatly hurt his SB %. At that point the Sox were 30 games over .500. Pods was no small part of that believe me.

Finally, Roberts has played in the weak NL West seeing a lot of bad pitching especially the Giants and D-Backs, while Pods has had to face the Twins, Tigers, and Indians staffs a lot.

I'm against obtaining Podsednik and also against Hall in LF. I'd rather see his wheels in CF with Hart in LF, and yes Jenkins (for now) in RF, unless Jenks is moved out of town. Oh yeah, he'd get more than a middle reliever in trade too, as somebody mentioned earlier in this thread.

Why not just trade Jenkins for that pitcher that Guillen sent back to the minors after he couldn't hit that one guy ( I know that's vague detail). But honestly, that pitcher has no shot in Chicago, and we don't need anything for Jenkins, we just need to dump his salary so Melvin can make a reasonable offer to those 4/5 solid pitchers still left in free agency.

Why not pring Po back? Hart and Hall both have the speed to make up ground that Po can't cover with his defense, we could have a veteran guy hitting leadoff and then move Weeks down to a more offensive slot, and he'd steal bases for us. And if he could indeed be had for Jenkins and his contract, we'd be dumping a big salary, too. Kinda seems like a win-win to me.

Po isn't that great defensively in CF. He's been injury prone for a great deal of his minor league career. Granted he had 2-3 seasons in Milwaukee and Chicago where he contributed at times. He's just not that valuable, but your point is received that the Brewers need a legit leadoff guy. I think Weeks is miscast as a leadoff guy, and a 2B'er a little too for that matter.

Po could make sense for CF. He's not great defensively, but CF is the easiest to play when you have a tough time judging balls like he does. He has the ability to hit leadoff. Over the last 4 years his numbers have wavered a great deal, but we should be able to expect an OBP of between .340 and .360, which is adequate. His strength was also baserunning, which is something we could use help with. If we were to part with Jenkins, I'd want something more in return. I don't know what exactly, though

Couldn't agree more that his defense in CF is at the very best, average, if even that. I'm just thinking that he fits so well with what we need offensively, that it would still be a net plus for our team.

I'm done thinking that we're going to get any stud CFer, there's none of those left. So for the available players remaining, I think he's the best of the rest (naturally it assumes we don't just platoon the players we already have).

Let me set everyone straight. I'm not necessarily suggesting the Brewes get Podsednik. But I think it's ridiculous they are pursuing Roberts because he's essentially the same player only older. Sure Roberts has a defensive edge and Pods has some trouble out there. But on balance Pods vs. say Clark in CF, Pods will misplay a few more but he'll run some down that Clark won't.

My point was that Pods is cheaper and would only take a one year commitment. If he's having one of his bad years, it's a lot easier to make a switch to Gwynn or Gross or somebody else than if you have a 3 year commitment like you would with Roberts.

It's all about managing resources and going after aging speed outfielders is not proper management in my view.

Archived