Brewer Fanatic

JJ Hardy to Twins for Carlos Gomez

BrewBomber
  • Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes give up Gamel and Hart. Gamel does not have a spot, unless we trade Fielder. That would be huge mistake. Hart is just an average RF, but some fish might bite on his supposed speed-power potential while disregarding his looping swiss cheese swing. Maybe the Blue Jays would be interested with those two and a handful of others for Halladay. Just don't sign Washburn and Davis and try to tell us that is an improvement.

Gamel has a spot. He will get plenty of time at 3B. They're not going to let Casey play every day with those bad knees. Plus there will be games when he plays 2B, because they'll want to give Week's wrists some rest too. Add in DHing, and Gamel will get enough ABs. I don't know if that works for 6 months, but injuries happen and often times these things get resolved on their own. But with all that said, I would still trade Gamel if the proce is right. Just like anyone else on the roster.

I guess I should have been clearer that I was responding specifically to this statement.

Gamel does not have a spot, unless we trade Fielder.

Gamel can play 3B, RF or go to AAA. No idea why anybody would think he has no spot. There are plenty of alternatives for Gamel.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Like the Phillies did with Ryan Howard when they knew Jim Thome was on the way out?

Oh wait.... how did that work out for them? Maybe holding onto Gamel and putting him in AAA this year isn't such a bad thing.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Fielder is here for two years. Gamel is not Ryan Howard, who was hitting 35 home runs a year at AAA before the Phillies traded Thome. You think Gamel could be a similarly adequate replacement for Fielder? I do not. I like Gamel, but to get good pitching, we need to trade him at his highest value; right now.

This discussion has gone astray from the original topic; Gomez. I think by the end of next year, we will be pleased with him. From watching him with the Twinkies, I think his problem is not that he lacks talent, it is that he lacks experience. He seems to be somewhat of a free spirit, sometimes prone to boneheaded plays. If handled correctly he could become something like Devon White. If handled poorly, Chuckie Carr.

Sorry FVBrewerfan, Gamel does not have a spot assuming he's not traded or switched to the OF. McGehee is the everyday 3B for now. Gamel has options and needs to improve on the .278/.367/.473, 89 K's in 273 AB performance he had in AAA last year. Those numbers do not scream he should be starting the the big leagues. He also needs to play everyday, not just to keep his bat sharp but to work on defense. Assuming Counsel returns, he backs up at 3rd in addition to backing up at SS. Iribarren is also in the mix in the infield and Heether could too.

Funny, I wouldn't think Milwaukee would go for this. That is a large haul for 2 years of Hamels. Also, I think it'd be a big mistake to give up on Parra. IMO, you pencil him in at the back end of the rotation and see what he offers this year. If he fulfills his potential, he's exactly what the Brewers need, a good, young, cost-controlled pitcher and if he doesn't, you've given your most advanced pitching prospects (Butler, Rogers, etc.) half a more year to develop. The Brewers need to upgrade the Suppan/Looper part of the rotation rather than replace Parra with Hamels.
I certainly wouldn't advocate giving up on Parra yet either, in spite of his bad year last year. I was just pointing out that I saw no way that the Phillies would replace Hamels with Parra, so in a vacuum, this trade suggestion would go nowhere.

Gamel has a spot. He will get plenty of time at 3B. They're not going to let Casey play every day with those bad knees. Plus there will be games when he plays 2B, because they'll want to give Week's wrists some rest too. Add in DHing, and Gamel will get enough ABs. I don't know if that works for 6 months, but injuries happen and often times these things get resolved on their own. But with all that said, I would still trade Gamel if the proce is right. Just like anyone else on the roster.
McGehee has surgery on his knee, so it shouldn't be a problem anymore. He played himself into the everyday 3rd basemen already, and Gamel did nothing with the PT he got. DHing in the 2 interleague series won't get him adequate AB's at all. That's like 20 AB's. McGehee won't play any 2b, Counsell or whoever we have as utility man will. The only way he plays is if someone goes down for the year as you said.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Actually Gamel's production overall was league-avg. for a 3B, and his stats when starting was well above-avg. He did fine with the chances he got, but he just didn't get a real chance, only intermittent playing time from a manager that thinks he's a "flake." The only way I see the 3B job being guaranteed to McGehee is if Gamel is traded.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Doumit's health and poor defense make him less valuable than Hardy imo. I'd take him as our starting C for the hitting but he really isn't that great of a player when you look at the entire package. His contract is not some big bargain.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the first I've seen the Nationals linked to Hardy:

The Nats discussed a deal for shortstop J.J. Hardy, before he was traded to the Twins. However, with Ian Desmond and Cristian Guzman the projected starters, upgrading in the middle infield is not the top priority.
Link

It doesn't sound like they were seriously interested and I doubt they would have sent us any pitching prospects, but I wonder if they would have given up Dukes. Dukes obviously has his (personal) flaws, but he would have interested me.

edit: I had Milledge in there too, but I forgot he got traded

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Archived