Brewer Fanatic

JJ Hardy to Twins for Carlos Gomez

BrewBomber

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hardy traded for a CF with a .638 career MLB OPS? Granted Gomez is fast and young, but there's Doug Melvin for you.... there wasn't a single pitcher in MLB that Melvin could trade Hardy for?

If this means that Melvin will be using Cameron's money to spend on pitching, I suppose that is a good thing...

Gomez, Escobar and Weeks makes for a faster Brewers lineup, but will Macha actually let them run?

The early assessment on MLB Trade Rumors is much more positive than here. Gomez is young, fast, and plays great defense. He will also be cheap and under control for several more seasons. The cost savings will tremendously help in acquiring better starting pitching.

I know many here are Cameron fanatics, but his salary was going to hinder the team next year.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I don't mind this trade that much. Granted Gomez has underacheived so far in his career, but I honestly think he still has a lot of upside. I'm pretty sure Melvin wouldn't do this if he thought he could get more. He obviously wanted to fill a need right away. Hopefully, this at least means he'll use the money that would've went to Cam on pitching. That's all we can hope for right now. Also, we can hope that Gomez turns it around in Milwaukee. It was basically and underachiever for and underachiever, the difference is that Hardy has played well before. Hopefully, this doesn't come back to bite us.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Wait, Gomez is pretty awesome defensively, right? I have terrible memories of the Brewers getting hosed countless times on hard-hit balls to CF vs the Twins in recent years. I hope that was Gomez I'm thinking of.

Of course, Cameron can do all that too and can hit, but hey.

By keeping Hardy in the minors exactly 20 days, the Brewers pushed back his free agency until after the 2011 season, making him more palatable in a trade.

Whether this was intentional or not, I find it hard to believe that all we could get it Gomez. Presuming we drop Cam, this looks like a salary dump to pay for pitching. I really thought we could have gotten more for JJ (pitching or not)

Archived