Brewer Fanatic

Jeremy Hermida to Red Sox

jjkoestler

The Red Sox have acquired Jeremy Hermida from the fish for 2 minor league arms ( Hunter Jones and Jose Alvarez.)

http://www.mlbtraderumors...uire-jeremy-hermida.html

Seems like a great deal for the Sox. Hermida is young (25), talented, and should make around $3 million in his second year of arby. The pitchers the Sox gave up seem unimpressive.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I don't think this is any great coup by the Red Sox. There was a lot of speculation that Hermida was going to be non-tendered given his price tag and lack of production at the plate and his liability on the defensive end. The Sox didn't give up much, but considering they might have been able to get him for nothing in about a month, that's about all they should have given up.

I remember when Hermida was everybody's favorite prospect because of his patience and speed. Injuries have really taken a toll on him though it's also possible that he was never that great. Not a bad move for the Red Sox though. They'll probably be hoping he works out a little better than their previous acquisition of an injury prone Florida-based outfielder (Baldelli, who wasn't awful but wasn't anything special either). The Red Sox can afford $3-4 million on a bench player easily so it's worth taking a chance to see if he can flash some of the skills that made him so beloved back in 2005.

I don't think this is any great coup by the Red Sox. There was a lot of speculation that Hermida was going to be non-tendered given his price tag and lack of production at the plate and his liability on the defensive end. The Sox didn't give up much, but considering they might have been able to get him for nothing in about a month, that's about all they should have given up.

I never recalled anyone saying he was a defensive liability, in fact most articles I read on it praised his defense (some discussed his .995 Fielding PCT which is a flawed stat obviously but I doubt he was a liability).

Seems to be a nifty easy tag to throw on people when we want to diss them. They're a defensive liability. Unless they are majorly special at a position that's a hard tag to disprove so you get your jab in there effectively.

Fact is, Hermida still has upside, is still relatively cheap, the Sox didn't give up much for him and I wouldn't have been upset if the Crew had picked him up because he's a million times better than Gerut and if Corey Hart keeps playing poorly he might exceed Hart's ceiling as well.

Rp

Teams certainly seem to be jumping on trades early this year that offer payroll (and roster) flexibility. To Messiah's point, I'm a little surprised the Marlins moved Hermida so quickly for seemingly so little. I know he hasn't lived up to expectations, but Theo Epstein openly admitted how excited he is to acquire such a talented player when his value was low (per MLB Trade Rumors). Unless the Marlins really didn't want to deal within their division, I would have to think the Braves in particular would have given up some talent to add a left-handed corner OF bat from their own backyard.

It makes me wonder if the Brewers might try to move Hardy sooner rather than later to accomplish the same thing.

I never recalled anyone saying he was a defensive liability, in fact most articles I read on it praised his defense (some discussed his .995 Fielding PCT which is a flawed stat obviously but I doubt he was a liability).

Seems to be a nifty easy tag to throw on people when we want to diss them. They're a defensive liability. Unless they are majorly special at a position that's a hard tag to disprove so you get your jab in there effectively.

I'm not taking a personal shot at Hermida (or as you say, diss him), I just think he's a defensive liability. It's ok that I have that opinion. You can have a different opinion. No need to get worked up.

I consider someone to be a liability when they are below average at a skill. Hermida's average UZR/150 from 2006-2009, which basically encompases 4 full seasons, is -7.0. Fangraphs also has his arm an average 1.8 runs below average during that same time period. Tangotiger's 2008 Fan Scouting Reports has him as below average - that's based on the eyeballs of a bunch of casual baseball fans who watched Hermida.

I did a google search for Hermida's defense and most things I found pegged Hermida at somewhere between average and below average. The Red Sox themselves say he's average. Though I only looked at about 12 different blurbs, I failed to find one mention of "above average" defense. And yes, fielding percentage isn't a good stat all by itself. In my opinion, he's below average.

Hermida should benefit from playing half his games at Fenway, but then again, who doesn't? It's a fine low risk move by the Red Sox who can easily absorb Hermida's salary. I guess I would have been ok with the Brewers getting him, but only contingent on Hart being traded for pitching. The Brewers could not have easily afforded Hermida's contract on the bench.

If this saves them from signing Bay it is a huge deal for the Red Sox. Bay is such a bad defensive player and such an inconsistent offensive player that he is never going to be worth what he gets for a contract this season.

Don't forget the "Clubhouse Cancer" tag. When Bill Hall was a good hitter he was a great teammate and Fan Favorite. When he stopped hitting murmurs began to swirl around about "malcontent" and "clubhouse cancer".

Archived