Brewer Fanatic

A flood of non-tenders?

Bombers

Buster Olney writes that there could be come significant non-tenders. His article quotes "Executives say many of the names being discussed by teams as possible trade bait include a growing number of players with three to five-plus years of service time -- players who are eligible for arbitration. This is widely being read as a precursor to a wave of players in that group not being tendered contracts before the Dec. 12 deadline. "I think the market will get flooded with non-tenders," opined a veteran executive."

Anyone have any guesses as to some possible non-tendered pitchers or arby eligble pitchers teams are looking to dump??

The Red Sox just traded 2 relatively unimpressive prospects for Hermida because the Marlins were going to non-tender him. Hermida was getting expensive for a team with the Marlins' budget, but is still young, controlled, and relatively cheap; and he has the pedigree and upside to be a solid gamble.

These young, cost controlled players with upside that other teams are trying to get rid of are exactly the type that the Brewers and other mid-market teams (all teams, really) should be looking to acquire.

Hermida would have been a great answer to the Brewers COF situation, allowing hart to be traded for pitching.

Conor Jackson and Dioner Navarro are both players the Brewers should consider - Shoppach too, though I question the validity of this rumor. As for pitchers, jenks would be good if true.

Conor Jackson and Dioner Navarro are both players the Brewers should consider - Shoppach too, though I question the validity of this rumor. As for pitchers, jenks would be good if true.

I've always really liked Conor Jackson as a hitter, he has good OBP skills and a little pop in his bat. If the D-backs are planning on getting rid of him, he would be a great buy low candidate. The only question is if he would be a liability in LF, or if Braun would be able to make the switch to RF.

I also wouldn't mind getting Navarro as our everyday catcher, although I don't think the D-Rays will be giving up on him yet.

Given that Hart and Hermida are basically interchangeable (Hart can play defense but aside from that) how does that happen?
Well, to begin, Hermida has more upside, but there are a lot of posters here that think that some package revolving around Hart can net Kenshin Kawakami or Javy Vazquez. If so, that's a good enough reason. Of course, I have personally voiced the opinion that Hart could not return that type of value, just as I repeatedly voiced the opinion that Hardy would not return a player like Clay Buccholz, etc.

In any case, Hermida, but more importantly, Conor Jackson, Dioner Navarro, etc. are nice, reasonably priced pieces that should be acquired now, while their price is lowest. At the very least, these types of players will potentially have significant value at the trade deadline, or should be exchangeable for lower level prospects (in order to shed salaries)

How does Hermida have more upside?

He's young, having not entered his prime years, and has 1st round pick and top prospect pedigree. I love his swing, unlike Hart's (which is way too long, in my opinion), and he's produced for extended stretches, suggesting that he CAN put his tools together. Also, his Home/Away Splits suggest that he might just benefit from a move away from Miami. On the other hand, Hermida is an inexplicably bad defender, given his tools, and Hart's offense plays much better as a RF who could play a below-average CF in a pinch. Hart has also produced at a high level over the course of a full season, suggesting that he could do it again, but I think Hart's case is one where the league's pitchers just figured out how to pitch to him.

Regardless, Hermida's off the market so it's a moot point.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I'd look at Andrew Miller instead. The rookie contract he signed has made him expensive quickly, and he has not yet performed on par with Nolasco, Josh Johnson, et al. I think the Marlin's decision to "give up" on Hermida suggests that they might have a similar willingness to shed Miller's contract for the right package. Probably a bit more than Hermida's given the value of pitching, but I think he could be had.

Gabe Gross

John Maine

Kelly Shoppach (Brewerfan.net would collectively wet themselves)

Chien-Ming Wang

Bobby Jenks

Those are a few of the names from MLBTRADERUMORS.COM that stood out to me.

Maine at a minimum could be a good setup man if they were worried about his arm. No way he gets non tendered.

I hope the non-tenders do start flying. It may force the price of free agents way down. Maybe not, but I can see plenty of teams making due with a non-tendered replacement than silly money on older players. Crossing my fingers.

Archived