Brewer Fanatic

Perkins for Hardy?

Or at least a part of a Twins Hardy deal?

From the Star Tribune's Waters...

"if the Twins can't re-sign free-agent shortstop Orlando Cabrera, it would be surprising if they don't consider Milwaukee's J.J. Hardy, who is expendable due to the emergence of Alcides Escobar. Lefty starter Glen Perkins would seem a likely bet to be included if there were an offer to the Brewers. "

I know he is not the flame thrower most of us want. But I think we add three starters, and getting a lefty like this that we'd control through 2012 wouldn't be all that bad. As we know, chances of numbers improving when moving from the AL to the NL are pretty decent too. It sure will be interesting to see what we end up getting offered for Hardy, and which offer Melvin ends up taking. Thoughts?

Perkins would be ok in a package deal. He did have some amount of time in the big leagues so he should be major league ready but if what he has produced so far is close to his ceiling meh. I don't know enough about him other than he was a first round draft pick and is left handed so maybe there is something there as of yet untapped. I hope we can get more than him straight up.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

The Twins would make a good trading partner this offseason. If not for Hardy, than possibly for either McGehee or Gamel, but the Twins always seem to make the most of infielders along the lines of Jason Bartlett, Nick Punto, Matt Tolbert and Alexi Casilla.

Perkins hasn't been particularly good in his first two full years as a starter, but he's still young and has promise to make him a solid pickup if he starts to step up, and the switch to the NL may help. Anthony Swarzak would be another pitcher I would target if I were the Brewers, assuming the Twins are going to hold onto Blackburn, Baker, Liriano and Slowey. They don't have to get too cute improving their offense, since Mauer, Morneau, Cuddyer, Kubel and Span give them some pretty solid performers, and Delmon Young may have came into his own over the last few weeks of the season.

Why on earth would the Brewers want Perkins? I'd rather the Brewers just non-tender Hardy than deal for a stubby left-hander the league has hit .293 and slugged .463 off of his career.

Twins fans and writers keep bringing up Perkins because he's bad and they don't want him back. Hardy's been at least close to being a premier SS for 2 years. Perkins hasn't done anything other than once posting the most misleading 12-4 record you'll ever see. He wasn't even very good in the minors as his 8-17, 4.55 ERA record in AA attests. But at least he can't hit either 0 for 4 lifetime, all K's. Good bunter though apparently with 3 sacrifices.

Don't the Brewers have enough guys who post near or above 6 era's?

Didn't want to start another thread for this since it is second-hand info (although infinitely more reliable than Charley Walters from the PP, that's for sure), but the deal I hear that is being discussed is:

JJ Hardy for Carlos Gomez - straight up.

Oh wow would that be a terrible deal. Gomez shouldn't even be on a major league roster right now. He should be in the minors working on not sucking on offense. I would extremely angry if that deal happened.

Gomez for Hardy straight up would be horrible value. I like Gomez and his defense and the Brewers have enough offense so I wouldn't mind him in CF, but they have to get more back. Gomez, Mijares, and Perkins and I'd listen. I just hope they don't jump to unload Hardy as fast as possible.

Gomez and Hardy hit about the same in '09. So if Hardy was worth $22 million last year, then Gomez must be worth at least $20 million-it's a bargain!

I suppose you can justify it by they are both playing important defensive positions and Gomez has a chance to be good someday. I'm not sure there is evidence supporting that however.

Trading Hardy for Perkins, Gomez, or both would amount to giving up a recently top-tier SS for two young guys with enough flaws to suggest they'll likely never amount to being worth close to the same value COMBINED as Hardy was for multiple years before his '09 slump.

Gomez at the plate is like Cameron MINUS the power, RBIs, and walks -- in other words, what's left? not much!!! Perkins has never really performed overly well.

A huge no thanks to either unless they were throw-ins along with a player of real actual value!

Perkins hasn't been particularly good in his first two full years as a starter, but he's still young and has promise to make him a solid pickup if he starts to step up, and the switch to the NL may help. Anthony Swarzak would be another pitcher I would target if I were the Brewers--Colbyjack
Only two months behind me, but since you have all that amateur info on your mind, I'll let it go this time.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Perkins will be entering his year of 27, and has a career ERA of 4.73, so the NL transition would take that down to about 4.35. I'm not sure why so many are afraid to take anyone but a proven guy like Yo in return...no one is going to give up a guy like Yo. Young guys, former #1 picks, are exactly who the Crew should be looking for...sadly, I doubt Lincecum or Blackburn are available. That next level down is exactly who Doug should look for, and I'm sure he will.

Perkins is an odd case, his secondary stats were almost the same as '08, but he was far less effective...a guy who may well have struggled with guys on base, maybe Rick P can find something.

I would love to convince myself that Gomez could be a good player. His physical tools sure are exciting, but it's a little puzzling to me why he was pushed along as quickly as he was. He never posted that great of numbers or ratios in the minors, and his career numbers at the big league level look like a Bill James projection based on his career numbers from the minors. I like the idea of his speed and defense, and I also think he could significantly improve given his age and talents, but he does have quite a few big-league PAs under his belt with seemingly little to no improvement.

I also agree that in theory trading Hardy for him would essentially be a $14 million swing, since Gomez would be replacing Cameron, at least his defense. The drop-off in offense is significant, as you would really have to hope for an upgrade(s) elsewhere to make up for that difference, and I'm not so sure that is a realistic expectation.

The Twins are a good team to deal with if you're looking for a CF, since they have Denard Span and two of their top prospects in the minors (Revere & Hicks), but I also agree that the Brewers are more likely to dangle Hardy for pitching.

Exactly why do people think Perkins is a soft tosser? Lefties that work in the low 90's and touch 95 are not soft tossers.

And the reason the Twins are rumored to be moving Perkins is because they Hardy'd him, keeping him in the minors so he would lose the service time, and thus maintaining an extra year of control. Naturally, Perkins was upset about it and doesn't want to pay for them anymore. Of course Perkins has plenty of fault in the scenario, as he hid an injury which drew the ire of Gardenhire once it was finally discovered.

Perkins hasn't been particularly good in his first two full years as a starter, but he's still young and has promise to make him a solid pickup if he starts to step up, and the switch to the NL may help. Anthony Swarzak would be another pitcher I would target if I were the Brewers--Colbyjack
Only two months behind me, but since you have all that amateur info on your mind, I'll let it go this time.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Perkins will be entering his year of 27, and has a career ERA of 4.73, so the NL transition would take that down to about 4.35. I'm not sure why so many are afraid to take anyone but a proven guy like Yo in return...no one is going to give up a guy like Yo. Young guys, former #1 picks, are exactly who the Crew should be looking for...sadly, I doubt Lincecum or Blackburn are available. That next level down is exactly who Doug should look for, and I'm sure he will.

Perkins is an odd case, his secondary stats were almost the same as '08, but he was far less effective...a guy who may well have struggled with guys on base, maybe Rick P can find something.

Al, his results in 09 are far more typical of those type secondary stats. Guys hit over .300 off of him in 08 and 09. He's way too hittable. 183 hits in 151 innings? 120 Hits in 96 innings? 40 HR in 247 innings? Give me a break. Brewers could insert Villanueva in the rotation, and he'd do better than that. Those are numbers equatable to 5.50 ERAs and up, not 4.73. No wonder the Twins want to rid themselves of him. What does where he was drafted 6 years ago have to do with anything? He never pitched like a first rounder and he's entering his prime.

Sure he might do a little better in the NL, though keep in mind the AL Central is not the AL East. Lifetime the woeful Royals are hitting .333 off him.

Hardy has a much better chance of bouncing back to at least middle of the pack type SS numbers than Perkins ever has of being anything more than a 5th starter. That is not an equal trade. That Twin fans would endorse this deal unanimously is a huge red flag too.

Brewers could insert Villanueva in the rotation, and he'd do better than that. Those are numbers equatable to 5.50 ERAs and up, not 4.73.
So why don't they? Villy is nothing special as a middle reliever. He should still have options. The organization should consider sending him to AAA at the start of the season and see what he can do as a starter.

Didn't want to start another thread for this since it is second-hand info (although infinitely more reliable than Charley Walters from the PP, that's for sure), but the deal I hear that is being discussed is:

JJ Hardy for Carlos Gomez - straight up.

Let's see if anything is relayed to the media in the next few days - if not, my apologies. Just wanted to share.

FWIW, if Melvin can sign 2 SP with the money we save on Hardy and (now Cameron), I'm OK with this rumored deal.

Good call

Archived