Brewer Fanatic

Mark Teahen to White Sox for Fields/Getz

SZBrewerFan
MLB Trade Rumors is reporting that the White Sox have acquired Teahen for Fields and Getz. To me it seems like a pretty good deal for the Royals as they have 10 years of combined control between Fields and Getz. Both of them are younger players with at least decent upside. I wonder if they will move Fields to right field as you wouldn't think the Royals are ready to give up on Gordon at Third base

The Sox will need a second baseman now. Hopefully they don't sign Felipe as they pick 13th in next June's draft and won't net us a 1st rounder. They could move Ramirez back to 2nd and Beckham to SS and shop for a third baseman though.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

I don't think much of Josh Fields. Poor defender. Brutal OBP, .302 for his career and not showing any signs of progress. Not that young. Decent power but lots of trouble making contact and he doesn't make up for it in walks. A cheaper version of Mike Jacobs basically. Considering the Royals OBP problems, I can't see how this helps them.

Getz is a little more interesting, but how valuable is a second baseman with a .670 OBP. Jayson Nix isn't that much better, but he's shown flashes of power so I could see a much bigger upside to Nix.

Teahen's pretty much stagnated the last two years, but he's still a better player than Fields and Getz. I don't know what the plan is for him, but he's versatile enough. Maybe they could try him at 3B again, slide Beckham to SS, and Ramirez to 2B to shore up the infield some. Although, if you were going to shore up the defense, you'd probably have been better off with Iwamura than Teahen.

Edit: I've seen elsewhere that the Sox could replace Dye with Teahen. With the defensive difference probably making it a net plus for the Sox. If nothing else, Teahen is versatile enough that the Sox don't have to focus on one free agent, but can negotiate with several that could fit into their team, RF, 3B, 2B, or DH. Considering that the White Sox want to contend next year, I think this move makes sense for them. I just don't see Fields or Getz being long term answers even if they are both pre-arby.

Robert

I don't think much of Josh Fields. Poor defender. Brutal OBP, .302 for his career and not showing any signs of progress. Not that young. Decent power but lots of trouble making contact and he doesn't make up for it in walks. A cheaper version of Mike Jacobs basically. Considering the Royals OBP problems, I can't see how this helps them.

Getz is a little more interesting, but how valuable is a second baseman with a .670 OBP. Jayson Nix isn't that much better, but he's shown flashes of power so I could see a much bigger upside to Nix.

Teahen's pretty much stagnated the last two years, but he's still a better player than Fields and Getz. I don't know what the plan is for him, but he's versatile enough. Maybe they could try him at 3B again, slide Beckham to SS, and Ramirez to 2B to shore up the infield some. Although, if you were going to shore up the defense, you'd probably have been better off with Iwamura than Teahen.

Robert

Ummm, I'd take that!

Haha, I know you meant OPS, just thought that was funny.

Getz showed some decent power in his one full season at AAA for a 2b. He's a lefty, so there's possibly Fontenot type potential there. Fields has put up solid offense in the minors, though he does K a lot. I think his problems have stemmed more from the White Sox not committing to him at 3B. It could pay off for the Royals to bat him 6th or 7th and see what he does in 500 plate appearances. Teahen's bat is not acceptable for a corner player.

Teahen will be overpaid with his $5 mil option next year. Teahen's versatility could help the Sox in their plan to go without a full-time DH. Fields may not be a major league player and there is not much difference in value between Getz and Nix, the subpar young second basemen they still have.

The Sox will need a second baseman now. Hopefully they don't sign Felipe as they pick 13th in next June's draft and won't net us a 1st rounder. They could move Ramirez back to 2nd and Beckham to SS and shop for a third baseman though.

Don't really have to worry about that anymore as Felipe is now a Type-B according to the latest Elias rankings

The funny thing to me about this trade is that the ChiSox improve most at 2B. I was wondering if they'd continue to waste Beckham at 3B or not. I only say 'waste' since he can handle 2B defensively, and obv. his bat has much more value there.

EDIT: Though iirc Teahen has a bad reputation as a defender, so the Sox probably just got bad at 3B, if that's where they're going to play him.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived