Brewer Fanatic

Cubs gunning for Schmidt

Man, I'm sure glad the Brewers don't have to worry about getting caught up in any of this.

How dare the Cubs try to spend the endless amounts of cash they have. Are they smart with these contracts? No. Do they have to be? Absolutely not. Seriously, let's not turn the entire offseason into Brewerapologist.net.

I agree, I don't think that deal is that crazy. If Schmidt stays as productive as he has been, he is one of the better starting pitchers in the NL.

I would be more concerned about the Cubs getting Schmidt than I was about them getting Soriano.

Schmidt is the best FA in the league this year so considering how much guys like Mathews and Pierre are getting I'd say this seems appropriate. I'd rather sign him than Zito or Lee or Soriano, so it doesnt' really bother me.

Quote:
I'd rather sign him than Zito or Lee or Soriano, so it doesnt' really bother me.

And then what do you say when his arm undoubtedly falls off? He's got a lot of pitches on that arm of his... is it really worth it?

Well in my opinion Zito is going to be a bust for whomever signs him for sure. Soriano is going to be a bust as well. Lee is going to be one of the biggest FA busts in baseball this year.

Yeah Schmidt is a bit riskier which is why people are offering a 3 year contract, but he's the real deal so if he does stay healthy he'll be the best of the bunch over those 3 years.

To put it another way, if Zito joined our team I'd be wondering who our 3rd best pitcher is, Zito or Bush. If Schmidt joined it I'd be wondering who are best pitcher is, Sheets or Schmidt.

I'd be wondering who's going to make the trip to the DL first

Jason Schmidt pitched 200+ innings in 3 of the last 4 years. He has started at least 29 games every one of the past 5 seasons.

Ben Sheets has made 166 starts out of 195 possible starts (assuming 34 starts per season) since he came into the league.

Neither one is by any means injury-plagued. I'm not sure where people come up with this stuff.

you seriously wouldn't take schimdt.. what is there a rule that in order to start in milwaukee you have to be young?

you read Don's posts enough, and correspond with him, and you realize he has an obvious bias against players over 30 years old. That's fine, it's just one bias. I have a friend in Milwaukee who would rather start an untalented 34 year old than a rookie any day of the week. We all have some biases and preferences. If you look back, you'll see that his views on nearly every 30+ year old signed to a big contract are the same.

Archived