Brewer Fanatic

College Basketball 2009-2010 (part 1)

hawing
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
TooLiveBrew wrote:

I don't see any team in the Big Ten that's clearly better than Bucky.

Purdue is clearly better than the Badgers right now.

I don't think you can say that until they play each other.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man i feel bad for those Marquette kids. They are an undermanned team and played their hearts out against two of the top teams in the Big East only to just have two gut wrenching losses to show for it.

Gut wrenching for sure, but they have to hit their free throws. As a young team in the Big East they can't expect to get any help from the refs either.

TooLiveBrew wrote:

The thing about Purdue is that as good as they look, they could easily lose to anyone in the conference on any given night if their threes aren't falling. I think the regular season title will come down to Purdue and Michigan State, but the Badgers are the type of team that could make noise in the conference tournament (again).

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

TooLiveBrew wrote:

The thing about Purdue is that as good as they look, they could easily lose to anyone in the conference on any given night if their threes aren't falling. I think the regular season title will come down to Purdue and Michigan State, but the Badgers are the type of team that could make noise in the conference tournament (again).

Jan 9th - Purdue @ Wisconsin

The Badgers can beat ANYONE in the Kohl Center

I agree that you have to feel bad for MU......those kids have worked very hard only to fall in the final minutes of each game. Too Bad.....MU fans need to keep positive and their team will improve and be much better next year.

On to UW

The Badgers look pretty darn good so far! Thats two games in a row that Leuer was in foul trouble (and sat almost the entire first half) and yet UW never seemed to slow down. Games at Michigan State (Wed) and Purdue next weekend are extremely tough, and a split would be awesome. The schedule is very difficult but as was stated earlier in this thread, in the Big Ten this year, anyone can win on any given night. Lets hope they can keep playing this way the entire season!

Badgers looked decent today but PSU was 11- 19 from the free throw line and missed several wide open threes. I still think UW would have won but the score should have been closer. They can't get away with that against better teams.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I can easily say that. Purdue is a great team and Wisconsin, while good, is still more of an unknown.

So Purdue is playing better than UW because:

1) Purdue is a great team

2) UW is an unknown

I disagree. UW is legit this year, and I don't have any hesitation in saying that. They match up well with absolutely any kind of team (big, small, halfcourt, fullcourt). The only achilles heel imo is the lack of a legit post presence like Aldrich of KU (just an off-the-top-of-my-head example).
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I can easily say that. Purdue is a great team and Wisconsin, while good, is still more of an unknown.

So Purdue is playing better than UW because:

1) Purdue is a great team

2) UW is an unknown

1. 13-0

2. # 4 in the country

Why is this even arguable? I am a big Badger fan too.

Community Moderator

Purdue gives the Badgers matchup problems. Wisconsin might be faster than years past, but I still worry about slowing down Hummel and company.

Can't see how you can argue that the Badgers are equal or better than Purdue given the current schedules and records. Even if the Badgers pull out a close victory at the Kohl, you could still argue Purdue is a better team.

I can argue based on stats. Ken Pomeroy has UW ahead of Purdue in his rankings:

http://kenpom.com/rate.php

If you dig deep and analyze the teams, they are really, really close.

With several big tests in the Big Ten this season, by the end of it, Wisconsin will be a very good team. Remember a loss at a Michigan State or against Purdue will not hurt the RPI rankings.......and if they can knock off either one of these teams, perhaps our national ranking and respect will climb.

We have to be carefull not to get too excited yet.....the schedule is very difficult over the next two weeks. If they do well in this time span, then we can really get excited.

Despite all that Leuer does, or continues to do, he has no business going pro early. Look at guys like Tucker and Landry (and for the Marquette crew...Matthews + McNeal) ...they stayed 4 years and rarely play in the NBA. I know every case is different, but Leuer is no better than any of those guys.

Just my opinion...

I know this was from a few days ago, but some facts here need to be clarified a little bit. I'm guessing you don't follow the NBA at all. Wesley Matthews has started 19 games for the Utah Jazz this year and the Jazz are 13-6 in those games. Even though CJ Miles is back from injury now and Wesley is no longer starting, he's still one of the first off the bench. Also, Wesley is ranked as one of the top 10 rookies so far on the NBA.com rookie report.

Pretty excited for the Wisconsin and Marquette games tomorrow. The Golden Eagles really need a win right about now.

Kenpom has Wisconsin and Marquette both winning, 67-66 and 69-67 respectively.

Opening lines for Wisconsin had them as 7.5 underdogs, but that has since dropped to about 6, so a lot of people out there with some faith in the Badgers. Marquette at home is currently a 2.5 favorite over Georgtown.

Not to beat a dead horse, but Tim Maymon's comments in today's Wisconsin State Journal are too great not to bring up. Everyone who likes both the Badgers and the Warriors will get a chuckle off his comments, including how "they will now watch Buzz lose every game" as if Marquette will now not win because Maymon is no longer attending MU.

http://host.madison.com/sports/high-school/basketball/article_6c837f94-fae4-11de-82ad-001cc4c002e0.html

Read the comments after words.....some interesting stories are starting to come out about this. Its all very sad, and I will say it again, I hope this kid gets as far away from his father as possible!

Good luck UW and MU tonight!

I thought UW was "lucky" to only lose by 7. The first half was embarrassing; they looked as though they had never seen a zone defense. I feel confident saying Purdue will beat them even in Madison. I still think Wisconsin will take third or fourth in the conference, though.

I thought they played a good game tonight against a very tough opponent on the road. I don't see how this loss will be held against them much come Selection Sunday. It was nice to see Leuer get aggressive in the second half. Unfortunately Nankivil just wasn't able to be effective. I thought the defense overall was great, but the Badgers got outworked on the boards by MSU's bigger & more physical posts.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Community Moderator
UW played "Crean-ball" tonight where they pass the ball around the perimeter for 30 seconds and then throw up a contested jump shot. Despite that, they only lost by 7 because they also played decent defense and kept Michigan State away from fast break points and easy baskets. It should be a good learning experience, Michigan State was far more physical in the interior than any team we played to this point. All the big men were taken completely out of the game (except Leuer).

UW played "Crean-ball" tonight where they pass the ball around the perimeter for 30 seconds and then throw up a contested jump shot.

That frustrated me also. So many empty possessions that largely consisted of aimlessly passing the ball around the perimeter for 25 seconds. Then as the shot clock hit 10, someone would decide, hey we better hurry up and get a shot up which in most cases was a highly contested jumper with little chance of going in.

I think you need to give MSU credit. They're an excellent defensive team.

Archived