Brewer Fanatic

College Basketball 2009-2010 (part 1)

hawing
JJ- I'd argue that Bo didn't want to deal with Tim Maymon, just as much as any academic red flag. That was pretty well known as well. Maymon certainly was a risk, and it backfired, not because of grades though. The only reason Bo doesn't recruit JUCO's is because he doesn't want to. Not because they can't get in. Zach Morley was a non-qualifier out of HS. That seemed to work out fine. They're in on another JUCO guard as well. Also keep in mind there are JUCO's who are qualifiers out of HS that go that route to get noticed. MU has 3 of those guys, Fulce, Butler, and DJO. Far from academic risks. The reason Buzz has gone that route is to balance the classes out after Crean's entire 07 class left. Citing the amount of JUCO players isn't a great argument when you sit down and look at each case.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JJ- I'd argue that Bo didn't want to deal with Tim Maymon, just as much as any academic red flag. That was pretty well known as well. Maymon certainly was a risk, and it backfired, not because of grades though. The only reason Bo doesn't recruit JUCO's is because he doesn't want to. Not because they can't get in. Zach Morley was a non-qualifier out of HS. That seemed to work out fine. They're in on another JUCO guard as well. Also keep in mind there are JUCO's who are qualifiers out of HS that go that route to get noticed. MU has 3 of those guys, Fulce, Butler, and DJO. Far from academic risks. The reason Buzz has gone that route is to balance the classes out after Crean's entire 07 class left. Citing the amount of JUCO players isn't a great argument when you sit down and look at each case.
Zach was a full qualifier out of high school, but blew out his knee his senior year and his offers dried up. He went to JUCO to earn a D1 scholarship. The reason it is hard for UW to recruit JUCOs is that they need the required courses both in high school and college in order to transfer. If they didnt qualify out of high school the chances of them getting into UW are slim, unless they took specifics courses at the JUCO to become eligible. Most JUCO paths do not have the required courses in their AS programs that would allow a player to transfer. Now if MATC was more of a basketball power or had a football program, you would see more JUCOs at UW. MATC's AS program is set up to transfer students to the UW system.

Id have to speculate that grades would have made him ineligible in the 2nd half of the season anyway and by transferring now he is only going to miss a semester extra.
I believe he would have still been eligible 2nd semester for basketball even if his grades were bad 1st semester. I think he would have been on probation and would have had to bring them up second semester to be eligible for the beginning of the '10-'11 season. This is how guys like Carmelo Anthony (one and done) can play the full season without ever attending a class. First semester they're in the clear, second semester they play while being on probation - then out the door. Although, I give a ton of props to Carmelo for donating all that money to Syracuse to help build a new practice facility in his name, and the kid only spent one year there and is only 25 years old.

I understand some of the juco's were brought in to fill out classes and I do not know each situation. So if I generalized I am sorry, but jwill made great points to your post that I wont rehash. The Badgers are in on another guard right now who is a JUCO but that would make 2 in 11 years or something. Not common place at all.

Here is a list of majors for players at the two programs I took of a board scout.com.

Acker - Comm. Studies, Butler - Undecided (he's a JUNIOR), Buycks - Comm. Studies, Cadougan - Undecided, Cubillan - Undecided (he's a SENIOR but this may be wrong, i heard he was communication), Fulce - Undecided (JUNIOR), Hayward - Social Welfare, Johnson-Odom, Maymon, Otule, Williams - all undecided.

Wisconsin Berggren - Undecided, Bohannon - Business Marketing, Bruiser - Undecided, Evans - Business, Gavinski - Human Ecology, Hughes - Life Sciences Communications, Jarmusz - Business, Leuer - Business,Markolf - Finance, Nankivil - Engineering (might kins now), Taylor - Marketing, Wilson - Human Ecology

Again I am not saying Wisconsin is way better than Marquette and above them academically, but doesn't this show a difference in the progams a little? Now I am going to give Marquette the benefit and believe the communications department there is very good, because it is usually mocked as a major athletes pick to get by pretty easy. I do not know Marquette's program so I will assume it is good. To act like there isnt even a small difference between the schools is wrong in my mind.

I do not want to make it seem like I am bashing Marquette because I am not. I just think there is a difference between who each program lets in. Now it could be a Bo Ryan decision and not an academic instituational decision. However, he has cooled on numerous guys when grades and character issues have popped up - Rodney Williams, Royce White, and Maymon are examples.

I was reading the JSonline blogs this morning when I came across the following quote:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/79566672.html

(This is the JSonline Golden Eagles Blog from 12/17/09)

'i've never read so many consecutive posts without a pissing match about something UW-Mad vs. MU related.

WOW.

Tim and Jeronne Maymon - bringing people together."

For all of us who have been following this thread for the last few days, I hope that made you smile!

There has been a lot of speculation about why Maymon walked. All of the blogs have turned to bashing his father, and asking for the kid to get away. Its sad.

jjfan,

Your list of majors isn't entirely accurate. Although the official athletic website does indeed say "Undecided" for a number of the Marquette players, it should probably be read as "Undeclared". Just because they haven't yet filled out the paperwork to officially declare the major doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing. A good example is Cubillan, as was already mentioned in this thread.

As far as Maymon goes, it's tough to see a situation where the player doesn't see the big picture. Lazar Hayward had even less playing time and production his freshman year, but became a 3 year starter and will likely end up as one of the 10 most prolific scorers in Marquette history. This includes his time where he had to play out of position. I have a feeling that if Chris Otule were not out for the year, or if Liam McMorrow had not been stricken with a career-ending condition, that the minutes would not be at the 5 for Maymon, but rather as Hayward's understudy at the 4. Either way, Jeronne would have been the likely starter at the 4 next year (and there's really no difference between the 2, 3, and 4 in the offense Buzz employs) had he stuck it out.

Looking forward to the UW-UWM game tonight. Can anyone succinctly break down the Panthers this season? I'm not familiar.
I'm not either, but I can tell you the UW-UWM game is Wednesday night, so you don't spend all of tonight working the remote.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Yeah, Marquette's losses to Florida St. and West Virginia have been tough to swallow. Winning those 2 games would have gone a long way toward helping their tournament resume. They play so hard too - I hate to see them lose those types of games.

Just thinking out loud here too, but does anyone think that if Jon Leuer continues at his current pace, that he becomes a candidate to leave early after his Junior year? He's really stepped it up this year and has become a better player pretty much across the board. It's so nice to see him being more assertive.

Leur's biggest problem with going out after this year is: Where does he play in the NBA?

He's 6'10 and 225, I can't see him playing PF in the pro's at that weight and he isn't quick enough to play SF.

What a blow out win by the Badgers, maybe 11-2 and 3 wins over top 25 teams will finally get them ranked.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Leur's biggest problem with going out after this year is: Where does he play in the NBA?

He's 6'10 and 225, I can't see him playing PF in the pro's at that weight and he isn't quick enough to play SF.

What a blow out win by the Badgers, maybe 11-2 and 3 wins over top 25 teams will finally get them ranked.

Leur is not going into the draft after this season. He's not even 50% of the way to his potential. Next year he is going to be scary good.

He's got a decent perimeter game, doesn't he?

If so, he'll be a 4 in the NBA (like a Rashard Lewis). The league seems to be trending towards finesse players at the PF spot.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Leuer needs to bump up the range on his jumper. He's still pretty inconsistent from beyond the arc.

Dude is money on those baseline turnaround jumpers though.

I think this may be a really special season for UW. They can score from anywhere on the court, have senior leadership, great guards, and play terrific team basketball. I love the fact that everyone on the team can pass and shoot - including the big guys. That's a big advantage when you can draw the opponents forwards out to the arc and unclog the lane. OSU tried to zone up and UW just blistered them from the outside. Really liking this team - Ken Pomeroy has them #6 after yesterday's game (http://kenpom.com/rate.php)

And is it just me or does Ryan Evans seem to get better each and every game? He was sort of useless on offense early in the year and now he's hitting turnaround jumpers all of a sudden. That guy might have a heck of a career when it's all said and done.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Leuer also needs to work on his defense, imho. I agree that he's going to be scary good next season, though.

I think this may be a really special season for UW. They can score from anywhere on the court, have senior leadership, great guards, and play terrific team basketball.

I couldn't agree more, homer. I think you can count the teams in the NCAA that outclass the Badgers (in terms of personell) on one hand... maybe two. I don't see any team in the Big Ten that's clearly better than Bucky.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Despite all that Leuer does, or continues to do, he has no business going pro early. Look at guys like Tucker and Landry (and for the Marquette crew...Matthews + McNeal) ...they stayed 4 years and rarely play in the NBA. I know every case is different, but Leuer is no better than any of those guys.

Just my opinion...

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Archived