Brewer Fanatic

College Basketball 2009-2010 (part 1)

hawing
I will say that Maymon looks like he could be Dejuan Blair in a few years.
That is of course he is still in school then. Going off what I know about him, he would have fit in perfectly to FSU(see the Outside the Lines this weekend).
Being a teacher in Madison, including summer school the last two years......yep, I agree with jwill 100%. I would be careful when I compare anyone to Maymon. His record as a student is very shady, and in fact, very, very bad.

He was incredibly un-popular with his teachers. Very sad to see....hopefully he really has turned it all around at MU

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For those complaining about he refs....UW almost ALWAYS has a better free throw differential than their opponents since Bo got to Madison. It's not luck - it's by design.

How could any of the Marquette fans be complaining about the officiating? Hayward walked 3 or 4 times before finally getting called for it. Not to mention his complete hack job on Leuer that got called a block. I thought it was a pretty evenly called game. Bad calls both ways.

Also, Maymon has a long way to go to be Blair. His shot is not pretty. Teams should just foul him at the end of games if he is in there

That is of course he is still in school then. Going off what I know about him, he would have fit in perfectly to FSU(see the Outside the Lines this weekend).
Being a teacher in Madison, including summer school the last two years......yep, I agree with jwill 100%. I would be careful when I compare anyone to Maymon. His record as a student is very shady, and in fact, very, very bad.

He was incredibly un-popular with his teachers. Very sad to see....hopefully he really has turned it all around at MU

Come on. By all accounts he got off to a rough start but managed turn things around. He's been fine at MU, no problems with him at all. I don't like the FSU implication one bit. Need I remind you this was the program that had two players academically ineligible a couple years ago. And one that had two players arrested a couple months ago. The standards for athletes are no tougher at UW than any other school not named Stanford, ND, or Northwestern. See Dayne, Ron and Stanley, Booker. Or maybe McGee, Marcetteaus. Those in glass houses...

I'm a student at UW and outside of the Vander Blue thing I dont see why fans can be bitter towards each other. Whenever they aren't playing the Badgers, I cheer for Marquette. Looking at some of Marquette's forums on scout.com, it seems like they really hate UW. I don't understand that.

Whenever they aren't playing the Badgers, I cheer for Marquette. Looking at some of Marquette's forums on scout.com, it seems like they really hate UW. I don't understand that.

Same here. I hope Marquette's quickness & athleticism leads them up out of the middle of the pack in the Big East. I expect them to make the tourney unless injuries hold them back. They were really impressive (imo) on defense this past Saturday.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

How was Hayward more impressive than Leuer? Look at their numbers and then look at the shots needed to get there. Check out the turnovers. Hayward might be the better athlete, but I'm not sure he is the better basketball player.
1) Leuer had a 3-4 inch height advantage over anyone that guarded him; Hayward gave up 2-4 inches to anyone guarding him. Leuer is 6"10", and Hayward is 6'6". Leuer could work his height advantage down low - only one of his 12 shots was a 3-pointer where 8 of Haywards 21 were 3's.

B) I'm factoring offense and defense. And Hayward is a better free throw shooter.

Leuer had a great game, but for a guy 6'6" to get 12 rebounds and two blocks when guarding guys who are 6'8 - 6'10" is pretty impressive.

Come on. By all accounts he got off to a rough start but managed turn things around. He's been fine at MU, no problems with him at all. I don't like the FSU implication one bit. Need I remind you this was the program that had two players academically ineligible a couple years ago. And one that had two players arrested a couple months ago. The standards for athletes are no tougher at UW than any other school not named Stanford, ND, or Northwestern. See Dayne, Ron and Stanley, Booker. Or maybe McGee, Marcetteaus. Those in glass houses...
Calling his high school career a rough start isnt even close to describing his high school career. Between flunking classes, cheating on tests, and having to take several online classes that people who are going for their GED take just to be able to qualify would rate as an academic risk to me. That is just his academics, that is leaving out all of the out of school problems.

Comparing UW(state run institution) academic standards vs MU(private school) is laughable. The requirements to get into UW(core classes, GPA, ACT) are by far more stringent then to get into MU.

Comparing UW(state run institution) academic standards vs MU(private school) is laughable. The requirements to get into UW(core classes, GPA, ACT) are by far more stringent then to get into MU.

Must not be, because your reading comprehension isn't any good.

Yes, for the average student, UW is more stringent. No one will disagree with you there. But for athletes it's the same just about everywhere.

Yes, for the average student, UW is more stringent. No one will disagree with you there. But for athletes it's the same just about everywhere.
Except Notre Dame or other schools who used to be good at sports but need an excuse now.

Actually my reading comprehension is quite good. The entrance requirements have to do with core classes and the grades that you acheived in those. Most schools allow athletes into school by just meeting the NCAA requirements. Athletes at UW have to meet the requirements of any regular student an those that dont(about10%, mostly football) have to be petitioned by the athletic office to admissions department and prove that the student will have no problem with the academics at UW. ND standards arent really that high for athletes, especially having been lowered during the Weis era. You are correct when it comes to Stanford, they do have very high standards for students. Before you can be offered a full scholarship for athletics, you have to be admitted to Stanford admissions. That is why it is so hard to recruit there, not all students have the full amount of required classes done by the time they need to sign their LOI. If you want to discuss this more, I could go on for days. I have following recruiting for years and know the ins and outs of how the process works.

T BONE , read the posts from guys like jwill535 and you will understand why MU fans hate Wisconsin, it's guys like him who give UW a bad name and think they are king $h*# of the state, the Ivy-League of the midwest, etc etc. I got accepted to both UW and MU and chose MU because MU had a lot better business program that I was looking to get into. I'm not saying there aren't people that give MU a bad name either, because there a bunch of them as well, I'm sure I can come across as one as well.

Looking at some of Marquette's forums on scout.com, it seems like they really hate UW. I don't understand that.

Honestly, my bitterness comes from the arrogance/ignorance you see on some of the UW boards. Seemingly, a constant theme is the academic qualifications required for both of the schools -- I don't see where the fire is. Like you, monkeyman, I was accepted to both schools, but I chose Marquette.

I root for the Badger basketball team and I'm indifferent towards the football team, but I won't lie, my resentment is growing.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Most of the people that give UW a bad name probably didn't even go to school there.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Looking at some of Marquette's forums on scout.com, it seems like they really hate UW. I don't understand that.

Honestly, my bitterness comes from the arrogance/ignorance you see on some of the UW boards. Seemingly, a constant theme is the academic qualifications required for both of the schools

Ding Ding. By all means, UW should be proud of how selective they are in admissions. But that doesn't have anything to do with athletics. There is, and will always be different standards for athletes, and those are no more difficult than almost all BCS conference schools. So the constant harping on some sort of academic superiority with their athletes is a farce.

Like I said, they admitted guys like Boo Wade, Ron Dayne, and Booker Stanley. Marcus Landry was no genius out of Vincent either. They routinely hide guys in "majors" like agricultural journalism. So having some guy on a messageboard imply a MU player is either learning disabled or used illegal help to qualify really pisses me off.

My dislike of MU has nothing to do with academia. They're rivals! Do I ever want to see the Cubs, Vikings or Gophers win at anything? No, no and no. Why would Marquette be any different.

Also, changing nicknames a half-dozen times and employing a fake-tanning coach makes for a pretty easy target.

(Boom. Roasted.)

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/d6315a4796deaf652198ccfe34b55adacc01812.pjpg

I was also accepted into both schools, and chose UW. I dont hate MU. To each their own.....but badmouthing UW is just silly. It is a great school. Back to the Maymon stories, once again, nobody said they hate MU nor all UW athletes are great students. It was just a counterpoint to the statement comparing Dujuan Blair to Maymon. End of story.

"having some guy on a messageboard imply an MU player is either learning disabled or used illeagal help to qualify really pisses me off."

First off, you dont know Maymon personally so you need to check yourself. Some of us on here actually do. Second, I never knew being learing disabled is a bad thing.....read what you wrote. Thats a pretty low thing to say. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH A LEARNING DISABILITY!

Now please, everyone back to their corners. Both schools are good, and the teams will be alright. Lets all get along!

My hatred of Marquette came when I moved from Madison (where I went to UW) to Milwaukee (where I then attended UWM). I actually cheered for MU when they didn't play the Badgers, until I moved to Milwaukee. I met a lot of people who were MU fans that lit into me when they found out I was a UW grad. This was also during the period of time where UWM was really good, and MU refused to play UWM (even though both teams had an open game on their schedule at one point...MU refused). I actually felt MU fans were extremely arrogant and were just flat out mean to me.

I would also like to add that I think Buzz is doing one hell of a job recruiting and setting up the Warriors for their future. He has not let MU fall off like some expected!

Buzz is really starting to build a great team around a lot of tallent. As a sports fan in Wisconsin, nothing to me would be better than both UW and MU kicking some year in and year out.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

JS Online reporting that Maymon has quit the team.

(Edited to add link - hawing)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived