Brewer Fanatic

College Basketball 2009-2010 (part 1)

hawing

Gonzaga travelled all over the court. But they also hit some very difficult, contested shots and made a lot of key plays. And the Badgers did take a lot of bad shots......probably a product of the fact they played a very tough game less than 24 hours ago.....That game was competitive and the better team probably won.

Not a bad showing though. The Zags will be ranked next week for sure. Jordan Taylor looked great off the bench, and Leuer is a stud. They have got to get more out of Jarmuz. If Nakivil would have hit the dunk to start the second half it would have been a different game.

But all in all, it was a fun game to watch. Now they need to play Maryland tough tomorrow afternoon. Bo usually bounces back well.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was a microcosm of my expectations for the team. Leuer is legit, Hughes has flashes of offense but still jacks up a lot of bad shots, when he is on he hits some but his shooting percentage won't be good. After that it will be hit or miss for offense. Nankivil can hit open shots within 10 feet or so but Bohannon just keeps getting worse. His shooting percentage has declined each year and he can't guard anyone with quickness. He got blown by a number of times tonight. When Jarmusz or Bruiser on the court the other team may as well not guard them and WI's offense becomes a 4 on 5. Wilson and Evans still look lost and out of control out there. But overall I don't think they can generate consistant offense especially against a zone and they have a hard time guarding athletic quick guys who put the ball on the floor. Nankivil, Jarmusz, and Bohannon were a step slow on D all night.

I saw AZ had to go to overtime with CO, one of the worst teams in D1 last year going like 1-16 against their conference foes.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Nankivil needs to stop trying to dunk over people.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

...or, at the very least, stop taking 3's (1-10 v. 9-14 all last season). I'd be fine with the dunks if he could manage to get them to go in; it's supposed to be a high percentage shot. Stop trying to be Mark Vershaw!

As Bo said, if they hit some of those open 3's, it's a different game. People need to realize that you don't need to hit as high a percentage of 3's to make it a good shot. Even the announcers seem to lack this understanding of basic math. An open 3, unless you can't shoot at all, is the best shot in the college game...not to mention the long rebounds.

That said, there are also days or nights where the outside shots just don't fall, while, in theory, your defense and rebounding should be more consistent each game.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm bumping my own quote. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Better against Maryland. Thought the defense was better for the most part but I really don't like Nankivil on that end of the court. He gets out of position a lot. I noticed Bo yanked both he and Leuer early because they weren't getting back in transition. Looked better in the second half.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

What a difference a day makes, huh?

Looked pretty impressive against a Maryland team that has struggled in Maui but was expected to be in the Top 5 of the ACC, so beating them up is no small feat. Nice to pick up such a quality win early in the season, and playing like they did today makes me feel better about their chances in the Big Ten.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Marquette played awesome today and beat #15 Michigan by 14 points. Jimmy Butler and Lazar Hayward looked like star players and Darius Johnson-Odom is also a really good player. I think they are going to surprise some people this season.

Buzz needs to find a couple of juco big men for next year real quick. Either that or pray that Maymon grows 3" and Williams gains 30 lbs.
If I'm not mistaken, all scholarships have been filled for next year. Two more guards and a 6'6" swingman. Otule may be back, but it doesn't look like he can stay healthy. Not sure why Buzz can't get a couple quality big guys, maybe it's by choice? It's the one thing keeping them from being a legit Final Four contender, although a lot of teams can say that.

Maymon just has to learn how to be aggressive without getting fouls called. Very fine line, and diffiuclt to learn in the college game. But yea, guys like Maymon, Williams, and/or Fulce need more minutes by the time the Big East starts, or this team will be gassed.

Tough to see MU lose like that last night, but it was great to get a chance to see them play -- and fire on all cylinders at times. I think LE is right that Buzz had better find at least a serviceable big with that last '11-'12 scholarship... but if he does, wow, watch out.

I can't wait for the UW-MU game this season!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived