Brewer Fanatic

College Basketball 2009-2010 (part 1)

hawing

Yes Stevo...me too.

It's amazing that Jon Leuer is out, Keaton Nankivil and Tim Jarmusz don't add all that much offensively (Jarmusz basically offers nothing), and they still pull out a road win against a solid team.

You gotta hand it to the trio of mediocre guards the Badgers have.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like that Bo is starting Taylor, Hughes and Bohannon together, but I can't stand that he continues to start Tim Jarmusz. He has to be one of my least favorite players of all time.I really try to watch closely to see if I'm missing something, but each time I get more and more frustrated that he plays as much as he does. I think he has to switch to either Evans or Bruesewitz.

Very impressive win last night, Trevon really turned it on in the 2nd half. I like that Bohannon is starting to take a more aggresive approach on the offensive end.

I like that Bo is starting Taylor, Hughes and Bohannon together, but I can't stand that he continues to start Tim Jarmusz. He has to be one of my least favorite players of all time.I really try to watch closely to see if I'm missing something, but each time I get more and more frustrated that he plays as much as he does. I think he has to switch to either Evans or Bruesewitz.

Totally agreed. Jarmusz just must be a total kiss-ass or a practice demon, or something, because I don't even think he plays defense all that good. If you're going to start Bohannon-Taylor-Hughes, that's great, but how about getting a little more size in there?

The student section has been ranked as the best in the country a few times recently. I think this is definitely debatable, but I'd say we are up there- especially for the big games.

I have always thought Marquette has a better student section than UW. Maybe that's just me though. They just seem so much more into it all the time, including for the crappy nonconference games. Although I haven't been to many Marquette games the past few years so maybe that's changed.

The Wisconsin page on kempom - http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Wisconsin - suggests that Rob Wilson is better than Jarmusz at the following so far this year:

Scoring efficiency

FG shooting

3-point shooting

FT shooting

Offensive rebounding

Defensive rebounding

Assists

Steals

Jarmusz gets the slight edge in committing less turnovers (they both are 2 of the worst on the team in this regard) and blocked shots (very minimal - almost not worth bringing up). The other, more subjective side of this is, who is the better defender? I guess I'm not sure as I don't get to see nearly as many games as I would like to. I'm assuming it's basically a wash.

The disclaimer of course about all of this is that we are working with some pretty small samples with Wilson.

At the very least though, I think Wilson and Evans need to start cutting into Jarmusz's playing time. The only argument you could really make is that Wilson might be a little bit more turnover prone than Jarmusz, but I think overall that Wilson just brings more to the table and has the better upside. I would even speculate that if Wilson gets more playing time, he might gain more confidence and start cutting down on his turnovers.

Yes, I think that's Bo Ryan's biggest weakness. Sometimes he's too in to his system. For all the flack he gets about not getting athletes, in this case (Jarmusz), he's got the players on his roster who can fill the role better.

Clayton Hanson could go off and nail five threes like he did against North Carolina. Zach Morley could rebound, pass, play D, do all the intangibles. I don't know what Jarmusz does.

Northwestern's fans just stormed the court after beating a team that had already lost twice in the past week (Purdue). I know there was discussion about when it's appropriate to storm the court earlier in this thread, but I think everyone can agree that this is completely ridiculous.

I´d agree with you statman, if it weren´t for a few facts:

1) NU has never made the big dance, a win like this makes their first ever Final Four tournament a definite possibility.

2) It was against a team ranked #6 in the country (even if they had lost two straight).

I say let the NU fans enjoy it, they've never had a team play so well.

Haha! I thought the exact same thing, hawing. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

2) It was against a team ranked #6 in the country (even if they had lost two straight).

And NU hadn't beat a team in the top 5 in the nation since knocking off Magic Johnson led-MSU in 1979.

I'm really at the point where I'm starting to loathe Nankivil... and I don't like that I feel this way. He was, once again (& unfortunately), a gigantic non-factor & do-nothing in general tonight. He had a memorable tip-dunk & three-pointer, but honestly his lack of presence down low is just maddening at this point. I hate to say it, but UW's post play is just a complete achilles heel without Leuer (who isn't much on the defensive end, either). I sure hope Bo can get Nankivil in particular to be more assertive, especially on offense. Argh.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I disagee a bit NDOG. Bo called quite a few sets when Harris and later Tucker were there. I'd expect a few will go in for the new backcourt now, too.

What I meant was Bo thinks he can plug anyone in there and win. For the most part, he's been right, but why is Jarmusz in there when Robert Wilson is on the bench? Why isn't Jared Berggren getting any minutes now that Leuer is out instead of four guards and Nankivil. Jarmusz takes minutes away from guys that could help more, or could use the experience (Evans, Bruesewitz, Wilson, Berggren). All those guys except Berggren have shown a lot more than Jarmusz ever has. I don't mind moving Taylor in to the starting lineup for Leuer, but how about making two changes, the other being Jarmusz. But Jarmusz will start 35 games this year. That's what I meant about being too much in to his system. Whatever it is Jarmusz has that Ryan likes, he values that more than talent.

And I didn't expect a win tonight at Ohio State, and am still very high on this team overall. I just have to call it as I see it.

Nankivil is really frustrating IMO because he's so talented. At times, I think he looks like an NBA player. He's still very good, but unfortunately has been one of the weaker parts of this team so far. You hate to see that from a guy with so much ability.

As for Jarmusz, isn't he normally matched up defensively against the opponents' best scorer? I agree with you guys that Wilson should be playing more, but I'll be fair - I thought Jarmusz did a better job against Turner last night than anybody else.

I hate to say it, but UW's post play is just a complete achilles heel without Leuer (who isn't much on the defensive end, either). I sure hope Bo can get Nankivil in particular to be more assertive, especially on offense.

I wonder if those guys are so locked into Ryan's system and/or are afraid to assert themselves beyond their role in the system for fear of being benched. It wasn't just Nankivil, it also was Berggren - he had a layup/dunk opportunity early that would have been contested/potentially blocked or fouled, but pulled back. They ended up getting a layup by Hughes in that posession, but it seems like their big men in general are not assertive, and maybe that's a function of Ryan. Who knows.

Ohio State's once again got a player who looks like he's in his 30s. I wonder how old Greg Oden looks now.

The big guy with the bald spot? That dude, Greg Oden, Lebron James... I seriously think it is something in the water in Ohio. In some of those industrial cities I'm sure the soil and groundwater is plenty polluted.

Changing course a bit, Marquette has really surprised me this season. If it weren't for a couple late-game free throw gaffes, they'd be in great position right now. That hasn't gone unnoticed, as Pomeroy currently has them at number 17 (he values close losses to good teams higher than close wins over bad teams).

Buzz has really done a great job. After losing the Big Three and Cadougan going down before the season even started, I thought this would be an ugly year. Jimmy Butler is a pretty great college player, and DJO has really come on lately. I think Dwight Buycks is getting more comfortable and could really be a well-rounded scorer.

I expected Marquette to miss the tournament this year, but it seems they should be expected to make it at this point.

The schedule looks favorable for Marquette. They finish with two home games against Louisville and Notre Dame and the only certain remaining loss will be Saturday at Syracuse. IMO, the two huge "swing" games for Marquette will be @ Connecticut and home against Pitt -- I think they'll need at least one of those.

If not for the free throw gaffes against Villanova, West Virginia and Florida State and the puzzling loss to NC State, I'd be downright giddy about Marquette.

Well, that was ugly for the Badgers tonight. That I'm the first to comment makes me think that the rest of you were stunned into silence by the ugliness.

However, Rob "Smoove" Wilson certainly had some smoove moves tonight. It was about time someone stepped up.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Think Jarmusz deserves a ton of credit for the win, just look at Manny Harris' stat line. If you can take the conference's leading scorer and make it so his offense actually *hurts* his team, that's huge. Jarmusz doesn't give you much offensively, but he doesn't hurt you either - he only shoots if he has a good look. Reminds me a lot of Shane Battier.

That all said, Wilson does deserve more time. Last night, it should have been at the expense of Taylor and Bohannon, who were very poor offensively.

Rob Wilson has got to be Smoove B from the onion, good call Hawing
http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/character6.article.jpg

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wis/sports/m-baskbl/auto_headshot/2861756.jpeg

Rob was sporting different facial hair last night, but to me and the S.O. he is now Smoove. Maybe Smoove W or Smoove-dub.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived