Brewer Fanatic

What about Wang

nate82

OK first a question since I am not sure about something. If the Yankees non-tender Wang this off season will he become a free agent or will he just have to pass through waivers?

If the Yankees do non-tender Wang and he becomes a free agent wouldn't it be a smart move by Melvin to try and sign Wang? I know he has been injured the past two years but when he was healthy he was a legitimate #2 or #3 type pitcher. I don't think it would cost all that much for the Brewers to sign him for 2-4 years.

Wang would definitely be a buy low candidate. Maybe Peterson could even get him back to where he was 3-years ago.

Wang is this years Ben Sheets. He may or may not pitch next year, but it's clear he won't be starting the season. If you want to sign him to a "minor league deal" and stash him away while he rehabs, you're taking a bit of a gamble because major league veterans don't generally sign minor league deals that don't have some guaranteed major league level money in the deal.

I think if the Brewers bring in Mulder, and they bring back Capuano on another minor league deal, that will suffice for spring reclamation projects. They would likely still have a chance at Wang if he proves later that he can pitch.

OK first a question since I am not sure about something. If the Yankees non-tender Wang this off season will he become a free agent or will he just have to pass through waivers?
In the winter, if someone is arby-eligible and his team does not tender him a contract (thus non-tender), the team is rescinding their rights to the player, which then makes him a free agent.

Waivers at this time of year are a possible issue when a team is removing a player from their 40-man to outright or somehow otherwise assign him to one of their minor-league teams.

Non-tendering and winter-time waivers are unrelated issues.

Oh, and as others have stated, Wang is one of many potential buy-low candidates. I'd think other injured guys might be more immediately decent potential successful Brewers pitchers. But who knows?

If Wang is available, I'd like to see the Brewers go after him. Not because he's a name that I recognize, but because his problems this past season were almost exclusively due to not keeping his sinker down. It would seem that's entirely mechanical, and something I'd personally feel very confident that Peterson could iron out. Wang is a perfect example of why you hire someone like Peterson.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived