Brewer Fanatic

Bill James 2010 Projections are available

twobrewers

2010 Projections

Hardy projected with a .742 OPS

Escobar projected with a .703 OPS (42 stolen bases)

Gamel projected with a .817 OPS

Salome projected with a .787 OPS

Gerut projected with a .747 OPS

Cameron projected with a .756

Nothing particularly surprising with the pitcher - Bush with a 4.29 ERA. That sounds pretty close to me, but I know some people were really down on him. Suppan with an ERA over 5.00. And, because it seems relevant - Washburn with a 4.09 ERA.

Note that tiny difference between Mike and Jody...that's slightly smaller than I would say, but still minimal for the money

I agree that the offensive gap will be higher. Also, players get paid for their offensive and defensive contributions, which widens the gap, IMO.

I like Gerut, but his projection is likely assuming he get limited ABs versus LHP. You can't even begin to compare him to a super durable everyday guy like Cameron. It should also be noted that the projections for Cameron have always been lower than his actual results, so why should next year be any different.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I like Gerut, but his projection is likely assuming he get limited ABs versus LHP. You can't even begin to compare him to a super durable everyday guy like Cameron. It should also be noted that the projections for Cameron have always been lower than his actual results, so why should next year be any different.
Cameron's defense is also a big plus in his column.

Gerut put up an .845 OPS (in San Diego) as recently as 2008.

In the 3 seasons he recorded at least 350 AB's, his OPS were .830, .739, and .845. Injuries for the most part have kept him from a more productive career. I don't find his projection to be out of line at all and he's shown the ability at times for it to be significantly better.

Cameron has been "super durable", but he is 37. At some point everyone starts breaking down some.

Cameron's career OPS is .788. Gerut's is .765

Hardy career OPS: .751

Escobar minor league career OPS: .708

McGehee minor league career OPS .741

Gamel 2 seasons a AAA .829 OPS

Salome last year at AAA: .741

Braun major league career OPS: .937

Prince major league career OPS: .931

Salome projected with a .787 OPS

I don't think it's even possible to overstate the excitement about this. Even with the caveat that James's projections are always the most optimistic, that is simply awesome. Thanks to BrewerBrent's post #79 in the Salome/Lucroy thread in the minor league forum, we know the full line for that projection:

.296/.345/.442

And as BB said in that post, "yes please". Even if you randomly dock 10 points from each category (not sound mathematically, but just a crude toning down of the projection), you get roughly .285/.335/.435/.770. And again... yes please. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived