Brewer Fanatic

Anybody else have a Dew addiction?

Patrick425

Great topic, and I have enjoyed reading all of your comments!

I confess that Diet Pepsi does some of the same things that Dew does. This summer I was drinking a 6 pack of it a day, and not only is it not good for me, but it was getting expensive. I have cut back to around 2 a day, with a goal of going to all water by the new year.

Going cold turkey on soda does give me headaches. I will have to find a cure to that!

Teatoe, I agree, sun drop in glass bottles is great! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the caffeine withdrawal that gives you the headaches, so substituting something to help yourself wean off it (tea, coffee, even chocolate) can help reduce the headaches.

Obviously that may be trading one vice for another, though.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

If you're drinking The Dew for the taste, not the buzz, I believe the no caffeine variety is still available in 12 and 24 packs.

As far as drinking it, I may have 1 a day, but this time of year (it's a seasonal drink) I stick with the Sierra Mist Cranberry Splash.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I'm not a Dew drinker, but I really love Sun Drop in the glass bottles. I'd probably weigh in at 200 pounds if that stuff was easy to get. That's the only caffeinated beverage I've ever had that will keep me awake and alert.

Oh my God, up until a few years ago, they still made the old school Sun Drop in my hometown...I don't really drink soda, but I could put down 6 of those in a day, easily. One of the guys in my brothers fantasy football league lives up near Green Bay and he brought down 5 cases of it for our draft this year...I think he said they still make it up in Seymour if I'm not mistaken.

Anyone try the Dew Throwback?

I loved that stuff. Not as syrupy sweet as the current product. I stocked up to the tune of about 6 cases when it was getting phased out, but it's been gone for weeks. Hopefully they do this again next summer.

Edit.... do we have confirmation that this will be released again this winter? If so, you have just made my weekend.

From about age 16-26 I was an absolute Dew Addict. Easily 6-8 cans a day while in college, usually 2 cans on the way to school at 7am. As of late I have almost 100% switched over to Coke, and, drink much much less soda. I really don't have a reason I can think of, but it's been almost a year now of being a Coke man.

For the record, I loved the throwback Pepsi, getting real sugar Coke in Jamaica and getting it in bottles at El Rey too. I HATED the throwback Dew, it tasted flat and awful in my opinion.

One of the coolest things ever was when I was 20, I was part of a Mountain Dew drinkers focus group at a market research firm in town. We all got paid $150 to sit around and talk about Mountain Dew for 2 hours. We talked about slogans we like, sports we would like to see it sponsor, our thoughts on Sprite, etc etc, and all the Dew we could drink during it. It was an awesome day.

• 1 month later...

I haven't seen the throwbacks yet, but I see we have the "Game Fuels" for $2.29/12 pack.

"Game Fuel" makes me think bouncing off the walls until sunrise....

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

My girlfriend has been trying to get me off Mountain Dew for awhile now (and to at least switch to something less sticky and sugary), but I'm weak and will usually buy it if the option is there at the cafeteria. On average I probably go through a couple 20 oz bottles of soda a day, on top of morning coffee. Luckily enough I haven't really had to deal with withdrawal headaches if I go a day without soda, but I have noticed I've built up a hell of a tolerance to caffeine -- I don't get much of a buzz from it anymore, but I don't want to increase the intake for fear of working myself deeper into addiction as I get older.

I picked up the Mountain Dew habit from my parents, who drink it instead of alcohol. I guess in that context it's better, but it's still expensive, and with money getting tighter it's a fairly obvious expense to cut out.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

RockCoCougars wrote
Thanks for the update, I'll be hitting Woodman's tomorrow to see if it has reached our area.
I haven't seen it yet, but I really wasn't looking for it either. We've got a big display of that Dew Game Fuel stuff at $2.29/12 pack. I'd think the throwback would have some special display, but I may have missed it.

• 3 weeks later...

Has everyone been snapping up the throwbacks? I had totally forgotten about them until I saw a damaged 12-pack of the Pepsi yesterday. Love that old logo.

For the Dew crazies, we're blowing out 12 packs of the Dew Game Fuel (purple) for $1.

I will add that, while visiting Wisconsin for the holidays, I purchased one 16-oz. bottle of the Pepsi and Dew throwbacks to try out. I also bought one 16-oz. bottle of the regular production model of each to compare to.

I had forgotten the sugar flavor of both drinks from my youth. It was very good, probably better than what they produce now. Still, I don't drink soda very much at all anymore so I'm glad that it's not available here in Arizona (well, at least where I live.)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Over the holidays my brother came to visit and I got to learn the extent of his Dew addiction when we walked 5 blocks through the snow on Christmas Day to find an open gas station so he could buy a Mountain Dew. I don't understand it, but I can't be the hypocrite since I started smoking again.

Has everyone been snapping up the throwbacks? I had totally forgotten about them until I saw a damaged 12-pack of the Pepsi yesterday. Love that old logo.
Bought 6 more 12 packs today, so overall a total of 8 cases. At this rate, my basement is going to be a 'Dew Cellar'. I've bought a couple of 12 packs of the Pepsi as well. Hopefully you guys discount them (even more than the current 3 for $9.88) when you are closing them out like you did this summer. If that happens, I'll really stock up.

• 2 years later...

Had to dig up this old thread again as I continue to hop on and off the bandwagon (did Seinfeld ever clear up which is which?) with Mt. Dew. I've been making every effort lately to avoid drinking the golden nectar. I sit behind a computer most of the day and work at a place where I can grab a Mt. Dew out of the fridge at any time...so it's hard to fight the urge, but I've been holding steady for the most part. Also, my normal M.O. is to down a Dew as I watch TV at night. Lately I've been drinking ice water instead. Not nearly as satisfying, but obviously healthier. I still usually have a Mt. Dew or another soda at lunch and tend to drink it a bit during weekends, but I still have cut down my consumption by 70%-80% over the last couple of weeks. So, we will see how long this stretch of being "on the wagon" (?) lasts.

However, as I have done this, I have been downing 5 hour energies. Over the years I have become fairly immune to any caffeine effects of Mt. Dew, but wow, I get an instant boost from 5 hour energy and like the commercial states it seems to last a long time without any noticeable "crash". However, because of A) the high niacin levels and B) the costs, I have tried to limit 5HE to no more than once every 2 days. I know it's not a good habit to develop and I know it shouldn't be a LT solution to boosting energy levels, but I feel it's a chicken and egg situation. I need to work out and get and shape to start getting some natural energy back but at the same time, I don't feel I have the energy to work out on a regular basis. Researching pros/cons of 5HE on the internet, it seems like there are not any "great" dangers, although I've seen where taking too much of it could possibly have a negative impact on kidney functions (but I get the feeling this is if you are downing a bottle every 5 hours). However, I can't believe that taking one 5HE every other day is worse than have 2 or 3 Mt.Dews every day. I know that I have been hitting the treadmill more often and some of that is definitely due to the energy boost I'm getting from 5HE.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I have gotten my intake down to about 5 MD's a week which is probably still too much. I don't even take them for an energy boost; I just like the taste and it is just a habit.

I have never gotten into energy drinks and I hope I never do. Just the fact that you might "need" an energy drink is basically saying that your body isn't getting the necessary nutrition to generate natural energy. I know that many people take them and you could be drinking far worse things; but pumping all that crap into my body just scares me a little (And that is coming from a guy who is fully aware what is in Dew).

I always find the Five hour Energy commercial hilarious. Its amazing that 73% of doctors would be Ok with their patients taking an energy supplemant if they are healthy and they already take them. What a shocking revelation that is.

I always find the Five hour Energy commercial hilarious. Its amazing that 73% of doctors would be Ok with their patients taking an energy supplemant if they are healthy and they already take them. What a shocking revelation that is.

Yeah, gotta admit, I'm somewhat embarrassed that I haven "fallen" for the 5HE pitch, but it seems to work as advertised for me.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived