Brewer Fanatic

J.D. Drew to BOS?

look at Drew's year last year and then Jenkins year....they are not that different, at least considering that Drew's salary will be double that of the uber-maligned Jenkins. Jenkins 2005 was actually better than Drew's 2006.

Not a pro-Jenkins thing, but more of a comment on Drew....

look at Drew's year last year and then Jenkins year....they are not that different, at least considering that Drew's salary will be double that of the uber-maligned Jenkins. Jenkins 2005 was actually better than Drew's 2006.

Makes me start to think that the Crew may be able to get more for Jenkins in a deal than expected.

Does this not make sense to anyone else? Drew opts out of his deal with the Dodgers to sign a deal with less guaranteed? That doesn't seem to be how Boras works, normally.

I could be totally wrong here, but wasn't he due $33 million over THREE years? $30 million over two is a much better deal. He can go home and watch TV after two years, and be out $3 million, or more likely he'll sign another 8 figure deal after these two years and be better off.

Yeah, I understand the front loading thing (and the investment returns, assuming of course that's what he does with some of it), but Boras seems to be banking on Drew being able to sign a deal for at least 3 million in 2008, and considering his history, that's not a sure thing. Trading a two-year deal for a three-year deal is not how Boras usually rolls.

That said, I'd imagine that this is just another rumor, and I'll believe it when I see it.

EDIT: And considering that it's coming from Tracy Ringlosby and the Rocky Mountain News, it's about as questionable as can be.

A little off track here...but the Crew signing leaves the Sox with a glut of outfield talent (much like ourselves, but with a little less sincere appraisal of "talent", alas)

But, assuming the Drew deal is signed...Manny, Drew, Coco, Nixon, Pena & Kapler (maybe more that i'm forgetting) will be roaming Fenway...and you'd have to think they'd be willing to free up some Matsuzaka money out there.

Assuming we can unload Jenks and one or two others...would anyone have any interest in Pena or,more likely, Coco? Both are young enough to bounce back and still have some value, and Coco is at least as good of an option as Dave Roberts, IMO.

I realize i'm doing this without exploring their contracts, and if this has been covered before, I apologize. But discussing Drew or pena is a little more exciting than discussing Jenkins and Mench.

shootkick, the speculation (since he has again requested a trade, and one early in the offseason) is that the BoSux will trade Manny. That said, the regulars would be Drew, Crisp, and Pena. Unless Nixon re-signs for minimal $$$, the Sux will let him walk.

It doesn't seem like Crisp would be available, but you never know. If they move Manny, they'd get a huge return, and Crisp offers a nice element of speed to the team - at an affordable price. This is the team that is going to commit appx. $20 mil/yr to Matsuzaka, so bargains already on their roster would be unlikely to get shipped off.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Its very unlikely Manny is going anywhere, its the yearly Manny wants a trade dance. Outside of maybe Oakland, who can't afford him, he'll never get as much freedom as he gets in Boston. If this happens, Crisp or Pena is likely the one gone depending on demand. Of course they could just keep Pena planning on Drew missing 40 games.

The speculation to which I referred is based upon the new expensive market. What was once the second-highest contract in MLB is now only on a par with what Carlos Lee and Alfonso Soriano will receive.

Here's what Manny is owed:

2007: $18 mil

2008: $20 mil

2009: Club option ($20 mil)

2010: Club option ($20 mil)

While that's still pricey, Ramirez is definitely a superior player, especially since both aforementioned FAs play D about on par with Manny. Both Lee's and Soriano's career OPS is .835.

Manny's career OPS ---- 1.011. His eye at the plate is phenomenal. Starting with his first full season in 1995, he has averaged 84 BBs per season. Manny certainly strikes out more than Lee, but his career BA is .314 to Lee's .286.

The only area in which Manny trails the two FAs is that he's 35 on Opening Day 2007, to Lee's 30 & Soriano's 31. If Manny's game were speed, that would be critical. Since he's a power guy, it's much much less important.

I agree that Manny always creates drama, be it "Trade me!" or disappearing into the Green Monster between & during innings. However, the talk of the industry is now not merely that he's a candidate for trade, but that his contract is no longer the roadblock it has been. It's additionally very important to keep in mind that the BoSux would most likely be willing to eat a portion of Manny's money to facilitate a trade.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If I were Drew, I'd move quickly now, he's the last "big" bat left on the FA market. I doubt Philly is ready to forgive him yet, Baltimore tends to keep a distance from Mr Boras, etc.

I'll bet the Red Sox and Cubs fight over Drew, with possibly Texas as a late entry. If I were Drew, I would get it done, teams will drop it and start looking at trades soon.

Archived