Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun Tavern and Grill

bork
Has anybody actually eaten there yet? How is the food?
I believe the Rockies' announcers said they went and that it was good. Then again, it's not like they are going to say that it was terrible on the air, but I suppose they could have just not mentioned it. When I get back to Milwaukee, I'll have to check it out (although it doesn't really seem like the place to bring two little kids).

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It could be lamer. The restaurant's motif could be Remetee-style art.

More seriously, Ryan's people, or the restaurant's people, must have decided there's more $ to be made appealing to the upscale dining crowd than to baseball fans or Ryan Braun fans. Good news for some, not so much for some of us here.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Went for dinner and drinks last night at the new Milwaukee spot. Here is my review:

Basically, they took the space that was one Fratello's painted the whole place white and changed the sign out front. Food was average and a bit pricey. Sat down at the bar right at 6p (Brewers vs. Pirates scheduled for 6:05p start), asked the bartender if he could turn the game on (TV was on ESPN) and he asked which game I was referring to. Probably should have walked out the door at that point. On the plus side, most everyone in the bar area was into the game at least initially once we got the bartender to change the channel. As long as I am talking about the bartenders, they really didn't seem interested in speaking with my friend or I much, probably because we weren't wearing suits. Being a Wednesday night the place really seems to be going for that after work crowd. Definitely not a sports bar and I would say that they are going for a little more upscale feel. With that in mind, if I am looking for a place to really watch the game at a bar, I'd look elsewhere. I haven't decided if I will be stopping back in the near future.

PeaveyFury[/b]]Has anybody actually eaten there yet? How is the food?

Hey Peavey

We ate there on the Saturday night that the Cards were in town, keep in mind it just opened, so there are always a few kinks that a place has to get over, but my impression was very favorable. The bartenders were slammed when we went, but they got to us quickly, and we were seated within 20 minutes, when they told us the wait would be 30 minutes. The food was very good, I had the Blackened Seafood, not quite sure what the exact name was, but it was very good. Drinks were cold, nice wine list, and the service was great. Desserts were sick, huge and very good. Overall, I'd give it a A- (keeping in mind it just opened), and we'll be back.

This isn't supposed to be Major Goolsby's, so if you're looking for that kind of food or kind of atmosphere it isn't there. It is a little upscale, but I wore jeans and felt comfortable. There were people in there wearing jerseys and hats who had come from the game, including a large group of Cardinals fans, so it was kind of an eclectic crowd. Edmonds was sitting next to us at one table and besides the ditz who went up to him with a camera while he was eating and then after being rejected for a photo sat down at their table, people were fine.

Rickey

Considering the TV guys said Braun was in the hotel lobby at 8AM in a suit, I would not expect him to put his name on an Applebees' clone.

As Rickey points out, this is an upscale place for upscale people, and hoping to add some regular Joes with Ryan on the sign. If you're like me and consider fine dining to be not using my finger to finish up the side of country gravy I got because I like to dip my fries in them, it's probably a one time visit because it has Braun's name attached.

It doesn't even sound like there is any Braun game used stuff up for display or anything. That is kind of lame.
Why is that lame? It's not a sports bar.
Good point. But you would think a restaurant with his name on it would have some kind of Braun stuff in it. Oh well, I will still probably go and check it out at least once just because it is Braun's. But the fact the bartender didn't know what game a previous poster asked him to put on, come on.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

It doesn't even sound like there is any Braun game used stuff up for display or anything. That is kind of lame.
Good point. But you would think a restaurant with his name on it would have some kind of Braun stuff in it. Oh well, I will still probably go and check it out at least once just because it is Braun's. But the fact the bartender didn't know what game a previous poster asked him to put on, come on.
That was really funny about the bartender.

Yeah, maybe there should be a couple of things having to do with Ryan Braun in the restaurant, but I wouldn't make them the typical jerseys and bats. Maybe a classy B&W photo or two of him or something.

That was really funny about the bartender.

Yeah, maybe there should be a couple of things having to do with Ryan Braun in the restaurant, but I wouldn't make them the typical jerseys and bats. Maybe a classy B&W photo or two of him or something.

According to an article I read Braun doesn't want it to be a sports bar type restaurant. He didn't want the memorabilia around.

I also read an article where Braun was talking about his business investments. Braun said that he doesn't put his own money in all of the investments. The restaurants may be one of those investments where he is not financially invested, but does receive proceed for the use of his name.
I'm pretty sure this was stated earlier in an article to be true.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

ok so I just read everything on this post and I might have a little more insight into his milwaukee restaurant than others, seeing as I worked there as a server for 5 months before it shut down. braun never wanted a sports bar type of restaurant, thats why he decided to go with this business idea. the west coast fine dining feel is what the restaurant was supposed to be. and it worked out well. for the 7 months it was open, it grossed 1.8 million in sales, of which braun got 8% of. as far as the day to day operation, he wasnt involved that much but he was consulted on things such as the menu and decor of the restaurant. his agent nez was the primary owner of the restaurant but day to day operation was run by a guy named craig martin. nice guy but had past problems with restaurants closing down so when ryan brauns waterfront shut down, for lack of money and paying bills, it made you wonder whos fault it was (some blamed the accountants). the restaurant shut down because it couldnt pay the vendors. no food, no alcohol, no restaurant. all i know is that about $800,000 seemed to have gone missing (not verified facts, but pretty accurate). I still havent gotten my last paycheck from there. but when I worked there i loved it and many customers did too. its upscale, but no dress code and anyone could come in to enjoy great food. it truly was an excellent restaurant when open.

and as for the comment about the bartender saying "what game would you like?" when asked by the customer to "put the game on", as a bartender, you dont assume they want the brewer game on. some customers want different games on and you have to accomodate that. not that big of a deal.

• 1 year later...

I bet they don't serve hormone free chicken at his resteraunts! Booom. Ok that was really lame but had to do it.

Appropriate reply "They state that they do but they recently came under heat when a sample was tested and found traces of hormones."

Ok I'll stop.

I bet they don't serve hormone free chicken at his resteraunts! Booom. Ok that was really lame but had to do it.

Appropriate reply "They state that they do but they recently came under heat when a sample was tested and found traces of hormones."

Ok I'll stop.

It turns out that the chicken was just sitting around for a couple days, though, so it's totally fine to eat.

Ok I'll stop.

It turns out that the chicken was just sitting around for a couple days, though, so it's totally fine to eat.

Yeah, at room temp. What, is that a problem?

Archived