Brewer Fanatic

2009 World Series games

hawing

Whether your stance on the 2009 World Series is "yeah!" or "meh," it's about to become part of baseball's historical record.

The intended schedule (all games on FOX):

Game 1: Wednesday, October 28, 6:57 PM CDT (Phillies at Yankees)

Game 2: Thursday, October 29, 6:57 PM CDT (Phillies at Yankees)

Game 3: Saturday, October 31, 6:57 PM CDT (Yankees at Phillies)

Game 4: Sunday, November 1, 7:20 PM CST (Yankees at Phillies)

And if necessary...

Game 5: Monday, November 2, 6:57 PM CST (Yankees at Phillies)

Game 6: Wednesday, November 4, 6:57 PM CST (Phillies at Yankees)

Game 7: Thursday, November 5, 6:57 PM CST (Phillies at Yankees)

November baseball. Something seems wrong with that phrase.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I think that the late season schedule has as much or more to do with MLB accommodating Fox's playoff scheduling preferances than it does the WBC. For example the WS could easily start tonight, but Fox wants to start on Wednesday so that they could play two in NY and have an off day for travel on Friday. Meanwhile an off day for travel between NYC and Philly is not really necessary but convenient for TV because Friday is a low viewership day.

I don't really mind this since I like watching the games. I would like to see games played a little earlier, especially on weekends. For example 8pm and later on a Sunday night seems kind of late when they could get the game in under much more favorable October/November daytime conditions. Then again there is the NFL schedule to consider...

I know many don't like this matchup (& I understand why), but I like the fact that this series features two franchises with such long histories. The modern-day Phillies franchise started up in 1883 (!) as the Philadelphia Quakers, changing to the current name in 1890. The Yankees franchise began in 1901 as the Baltimore Orioles, became the New York Highlanders in 1903, and finally... the Yankees in 1913.

Yes, I am a baseball geek.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

does the earlier start times for WS games that Bud declared would happen this summer begin with this year's series or next? Based on hawing's times, I'm guessing this year but I don't really recall when they have started in the past.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Dave Cameron (of USS Mariner) gives his two cents over at FanGraphs.

In a short series, anything can happen. Even with the talent advantage on the Yankee side of things, the Phillies still have something like a 40 percent chance to win the series. But as much as I'm hoping for a classic series with seven close games, there remains a distinct possibility that the Yankees could just blow the Phillies out of the water. They're that good.

While CC didn't pitch poorly last night, I really think Girardi's three-man rotation will start to show its negative effects in this series. CC can handle it for the most part, but sometimes you're left with a scenario like tonight where a shaky A.J. Burnett is starting and you used 5 relievers the night before. It'd be like the Brewers needing Dave Bush to go 6 or 7 strong with only a couple available relievers -- you know the potential for a great start is there, but you can't be sure you're going to get it.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

FOX, enough with that stupid "Funeral" music that you must play before every "big" event.

I also hate that they think that we must have a guy run on the field with a camera every time someone hits a home run so we get to see a running view from 3rd base to Home. Enough.

Heckuva series developing after the first two games, but surprisingly the pitching has been the story. Both Burnett and Pedro had great outings last night. Here I was thinking there would be about 35 homers hit between the two teams in this series.

Twitter

Oh I know about the "funeral" music. It's the musical ensamble that fades us to and out of commercial between innings when they want to try and add a dramatic flare. Last night I did the ole turn on the radio announcers while watching the game on tv, a move that in the past has only been reserved for my admiration of Bob Eucker.

While CC didn't pitch poorly last night, I really think Girardi's three-man rotation will start to show its negative effects in this series. CC can handle it for the most part, but sometimes you're left with a scenario like tonight where a shaky A.J. Burnett is starting and you used 5 relievers the night before. It'd be like the Brewers needing Dave Bush to go 6 or 7 strong with only a couple available relievers -- you know the potential for a great start is there, but you can't be sure you're going to get it.

I've read/'heard' that the Yanks are going with a foursome of Sabathia/Burnett/Pettitte/Gaudin if they win G.3 tonight. If they lose, I think they'll stick with the 3-man.

Yeesh, what the heck happened to Cole Hamels?

As much as I dislike the Yankees, I do like seeing Alex Rodriguez get the huge playoff monkey off his back. Sure, he's an unbearable person who is hard to get behind, but the media scrutiny he's had to deal with in New York due to a handful of bad at-bats over his years there was short-sighted.

Twitter

Archived