Brewer Fanatic

Rodney King part II in San Jose

Hammer

I have a very strong respect for law enforcement officers. This video, though, really tests that trust. While I realize that not all officers possess the inner piece of crap that these officers have, it really unnerves me. This one will blow-up...I guarantee it.

http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_13635707

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Absolute brutality, he was not a threat at all. They even pointed out in the article how the cop closest to the camera was standing with his legs crossed at one point, do you think he does that if he fears the situation one bit? And then the baton hits after the cuffs are on, clear case of brutality and its pretty disgusting.

While I am in no way what so ever justifying what they did, I would venture to say this doesn't even approach the brutality that Rodney King was. From what I remember of Rodney King, he was struck repeatedly by multiple officers, including many times after he was handcuffed.

Absolute brutality, he was not a threat at all.

Just to play devil's advocate here, I'd like to know how from that video you can claim he wasn't a threat at all. There was no video of what he did when the cops got there and how he even ended up in the position. When the video does start, you could hear the cops tell him repeatedly to roll over, which he obviously didn't do right away or else they wouldn't keep saying it. I don't know if they had determined by then he was unarmed, but he did have a knife in his possession at one time. If he still had it with him, he could have easily stabbed any officer who attempted to get him into position (apparrently by him rolling over) to handcuff him. Even if they knew he was unarmed, a cop isn't just going to walk up to him as he is screaming, ignoring demands, and whatever else and just attempt to roll him over. He could walk right into a punch, a kick, or this guy could spit right in his face. Whether we like it or not, if someone doesn't cooperate with the cops, then the only way to get him into custody is to overpower him, which sometimes takes 3 or 4 officers and usually looks a lot worse than it is.

Like I said, I am by no means defending any action any of these cops took. But to me, this video isn't nearly as clear cut as the media makes it seem. Just because the guy is screaming and was unarmed doesn't mean he wasn't a threat. If it is determined that the blows were unnecessary and done for no reason, then they should lose their jobs and be prosecuted like any other citizen would be. I would just caution about comparing this to Rodney King, which was one the worst cases of police brutality in decades.

I totally agee with paul253. While I'm not stating that this individual did or didn't deserve to be beaten by the police, I find people quick to judge the police when they have to use force to subdue someone. If the police were yelling at me to get on the ground and put my hands behind my back, even if I didn't do anything, I sure would listen and wouldn't mouth off to the police. I watch these cop shows on tv, and I know these shows display the other end of the spectrum for entertainment value, and it amazes me that so many people have no respect for the law. Even watching shows like Parking Wars, for some reason people don't think that they need to follow parking laws or pay parking tickets. I just don't get it.

"The roommate who made the video, Dimitri Masouris, said he considered the police response unnecessary and excessive. The roommate sold the tape to Duyen Hoang Nguyen, the San Jose lawyer now representing Ho."

Just sayin'...

Just so we are clear, King was ridiculously high on PCP and was finally pulled over for doing 100mph during a chase in a residential neighborhood and if IIRC actually attacked the officers. The video that was made takes starts about 15-20 minutes after he was pulled over. Whether he deserved the excess of what he did, King was by no means a innocent victim in the ordeal. Not to long after the incident King was arrested again for a felony. My uncle was a sheriff for years and has said that you wouldn't believe the strength and aggressiveness of someone on PCP.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think the sound adds to the brutality. I first watched it without the sound on (not realizing my PC was on mute and thinking that was just the way the video was) and thought to myself "I can't really tell what's going on but it doesn't look so bad". When you watch it with the guy shrieking it takes on a whole different theme.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I also completely agree with paul253. The video is a small part of a longer situation and does not seem, in any way, to be as cut and dry as the article would lead the reader to believe.

I would never condone excessive police actions, but I also have always had a hard time being overly sympathetic towards people who's questionable actions have gotten them into these situations in the first place. I know that sounds pretty judgemental, but there are people who actually live there lives carefully and in a manner that avoids any types of run ins with the police. All or most of the police brutality cases I am aware of involve "victims" who don't appear to be living their lives in this type of manner.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I nearly always support police/deputies. This video appears a bit excessive, but seeing as this is a site that constantly nags us about sample size, I find it hilarious that people would rush to judgment without knowing the whole story or seeing the whole story. They will sort all this out. I find it funny when I'm driving the van with my HS athletes in it and they all mock the cops we drive past. I don't get the disdain for police officers. To me, they're doing the same job that I (as a teacher) am doing.

This is an absolutely disgusting case of brutality. You can clearly hear the cops snapping the handcuffs on the victim and then they continue to beat him. How is a individual who has been tased, beaten, placed on his stomach, and handcuffed a threat to multiple officers? The video does not show what the victim did prior to the video footage, but that does not excuse the brutality of the officers once the victim has been restrained.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I would never condone excessive police actions, but I also have always had a hard time being overly sympathetic towards people who's questionable actions have gotten them into these situations in the first place. I know that sounds pretty judgmental, but there are people who actually live there lives carefully and in a manner that avoids any types of run ins with the police. All or most of the police brutality cases I am aware of involve "victims" who don't appear to be living their lives in this type of manner.

I agree with this. For some reason our society is really quick to not be too judgmental of criminals. This guy did something to warrant arrest. I'm not saying police have the right to dole out excessive use of force, but some people would do better to not put themselves in these kinds of situations to begin with.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This is why I would never choose to be a police officer.

This guy broke the law (threatening assault with a weapon). The cops were called. Before the video starts, it's reasonable to believe he either resisted arrest, or generally made things more difficult than they needed to be.

This is where things start to break down. These officers of the law MUST use restraint. They MUST use sound and proper judgement. The guy obviously pushed one or more of the officers to the point of seemingly violent anger. He was handcuffed. Regardless of what he did before that point, he was defenseless after being cuffed, and was still being physically assaulted.

I know myself, if a person had pissed me off to that point, I likely would take a shot at them, or hit them with a taser if they continued to struggle, despite the fact that the person is no longer a viable or credible threat to someone's safety. I don't possess the clarity of mind when I'm angry to hold myself in restraint, so therefore, I know I could never choose to be a law officer. I would react out of anger, rather than using sound judgement, and that, seemingly, is what at least a few of these officers are doing. I don't blame them. But I do hold them to a higher standard.

I understand these guys are put in ugly situations, sometimes day after day. That's why they must use absolute sound judgement when dealing with people like this man.

They also have to be aware that cameras are EVERYWHERE now. Someone's always watching you.

I know for a fact that there was a lot of street justice given out back in the day(20 yrs ago), whether that happens anymore I am not sure. I have been told several times that certain criminals that were just complete dirt bags, and whom would not really have anything done to them from the justice system, would be taken for a "ride" and returned a couple hours later, humbled and sore. These people were generally wife beaters, dirtbags(druggies, multiple assaults etc) and just those that deserved a attitude adjustment.

You can clearly hear the cops snapping the handcuffs on the victim and then they continue to beat him. How is a individual who has been tased, beaten, placed on his stomach, and handcuffed a threat to multiple officers? The video does not show what the victim did prior to the video footage, but that does not excuse the brutality of the officers once the victim has been restrained.

You can also clearly hear someone, who I believe is the guy who is making the video, yell "Shut up and listen to them" right at the beginning of the video. When you say "they continue to beat him". I watched the video a few times and could only really see one officer who appeared to strike the subject with a baton, and he only appeared to hit him one time after the handcuffs were on, or maybe even as they were trying to get the handcuffs on, I cant exactly tell because at that point the subject's hands were not on camera. Also, your premise that any time someone is placed in handcuffs they automatically stop becoming a threat is just wrong. Plus, tasing someone doesn't always work. If only one wire attaches or if the person being tased in on drugs then the effect isn't always what you'd think it would be.

Again, I am certainly not standing up for any of these officers because I was not there. But to say anything is "clear" is, in my opinion at least, jumping to conclusions. I feel as though you are acting on emotion because you either feel sorry for the guy or because you have a general disliking of how police handle situations in which force is necessary. I would wait until more comes out about this before I rush to any judgement. I would like to know a) what exacly he did to get the cops called on him b) what, if any drugs or alcohol were in his system and to what extent c) how many times total he was struck/tased and how many of those times occurred after he was in handcuffs and d) what his actual injuries are (I realize the injuries themselves do not matter as far as whether or not the cops were doing something they weren't supposed to be, but I believe they would speak of how hard or "brutal" the strikes were. I would think someone who suffered multiple broken bones or needed stiches would have a better case than someone who had a couple of bruises).

Since you can't see anything in this video, it reminds me of the movie National Security. It "clearly" looks as though Martin Lawrence is beaten, and he "clearly" has a swollen face, but the video showed nothing.

This video shows nothing, as we can't see anything take place. All we can do is surmise what is happening based on some abrupt movements and a whole lot of volume.

Archived