Brewer Fanatic

Updated 2010 salary chart

Polish Falcons

Please post a correction if anything is known to be wrong or missing.

Brewers 2010 Salaries $ in millions
Player 2010
John Axford $ 0.4
Jason Bourgeois $ 0.4
Ryan Braun $ 1.0
Dave Bush $ 4.0
Josh Butler $ 0.4
Mike Cameron
Frank Catalanotto
Todd Coffey $ 0.8
Craig Counsell
Mark DiFelice $ 0.4
Alcides Escobar $ 0.4
Prince Fielder $ 10.5
Yovani Gallardo $ 0.4
Mat Gamel $ 0.4
Jody Gerut $ 1.8
J.J. Hardy $ 4.6
Bill Hall $ 8.0
Corey Hart $ 3.3
Trevor Hoffman $ 8.0
Jason Kendall
Braden Looper
Felipe Lopez
Seth McClung $ 1.6
Casey McGehee $ 0.4
Chris Narveson $ 0.4
Manny Parra $ 0.4
David Riske $ 4.5
Mike Rivera $ 0.4
Chris Smith $ 0.4
Mitch Stetter $ 0.4
Jeff Suppan $ 12.5
Claudio Vargas
Carlos Villanueva $ 0.4
Rickie Weeks $ 2.5
Total Brewers 2010: $ 68.7

Notes

Grey Shade means 2010 salary is unknown but player is under contract. 2010 value = 2009 as a placeholder.

Yellow Shade is for free agents that could end up anywhere.

Red shade is for player not on roster but under contractual obligation. Assumes Brewers pay $8M and M's pay $0.4 http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Vargas should be gray.

As I have said often, whether Hall's money counts or not is as big as any decision that will be made.

If they sign Cameron for $10M and would keep Hardy, they'd be close to $90M with just arby increases. That's why I don't see Mike returning, and why JJ will certainly be gone. Regardless of your budget, tough decisions always have to be made, unless you're the Yankees. It's also why I don't see Casey or Mat being dealt...the bat will play, they just don't know where that will be yet. Once Mat finds his swing again, they'll find a spot.

I'd assume they have insurance on his contract - perhaps his $4.5M has been covered?

Twobrewers isn't the first poster who's brought this up and I'm curious, has there been any good information in print either way about insurance on contracts? It would seem to me that the insurance company wouldn't make money insuring every single FA contract, especially when it comes to pitchers as the injury frequency is so high. I could see the Brewers getting insurance on a contract like Suppan's because it's double digit millions and the high premium may be deemed as worthwhile, but Riske's is a relatively small contract because he's a RP. If the Brewers are insuring every single large contract then our salary estimates are off because they have to budget not only to pay the contract, but the premium on the insurance policy as well wouldn't they?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Per Cots, the Brewers pay Hall $7.150 million in 2010. They will have to pay buyouts for Weathers and Looper (.4 and 1 million). Only $7.5 million of Hoffmans $8 million guaranteed is due in 2010.

The team can easily gain payroll flexibility by non-tendering Seth McClung, and possibly Dave Bush.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

X ellence wrote: fThe team can easily gain payroll flexibility by non-tendering Seth McClung, and possibly Dave Bush.
I highly doubt Bush will be non-tendered. Eventhough he is clearly not a #1 or 2 pitcher, there would still be several teams that would take a fly at him for $4 million or less. I do agree with non-tendering McClung.

Twobrewers isn't the first poster who's brought this up and I'm curious, has there been any good information in print either way about insurance on contracts?

I can remember this coming up quite a bit throughout Sheets vestibular neuritis season. I thought Doug said they take out insurance on all players, but that they were unable to collect on Sheeter because he had pitched a certain number of games. I think a player has to basically miss a whole season. I wonder if they collected on Yo or not.

That all being said, thats just from my memory so don't hold me to it. If you are looking for more information, I would look in the JS for articles around that time though.

Assuming hardy is traded (-5 mil) and none of the other free agents are resigned, this only gives them ~ 17 mil to get 2 pitchers, a catcher, and a CF. It is going to be very difficult to fill all those holes and stay at $80 million.

My suggestion would be: trade Gamel + prospects for Josh Johnson, a top of the roation pitcher with 2 yrs of arb left. Sign an injury prone palyer (sheet, bedard, duscherer, harden) for 2yrs 15-18 million. With the remaining 4million, the crew can only spend it on, Salome 4k or Kendall (1 mil and "please dont"), counsel 1 Mil, Cat/kapler type hopfully no more than 2 mil. And thats all she wrote, we are broke BUT STILL NOT BANKRUPT LIKE THE STINKING CUBBIES.

* I should also note that 1) I am not excited to get rid of gamel, but it just might be needed. 2) I think losing lopez will be a mojor problem, without looking at stats I think it is fair to say, when he was on the roster it created the most consistent offense the brewers have had in years. 3) i am not convinced Salome is major league ready but considering he dealt with injuries last year it may help him to only play 3 games a week. plus Luccroy needs to play full time at AAA

Coffey is going to be probably twice what you have. He made $800-$925 (depending on source) last year and will (and should) get a bump with arbitration.

Fielder earned $500K of incentives, so that would probably be counted against last year's budget, but if not tack that onto his salary.

Not that he deserves more, but I would bet that Hart gets a good sum more in arbitration than what you have down. He was $3.25M this year.

I don't know how much middling relievers like Villy make in the first year of arbitration, but I would assume it is at least seven figures just based on innings thrown and not the $400K minimum salary as shown.

As discussed in the thread, I agree with building into the budget the buyouts (Weathers, maybe Looper) and dead money (Hall, uninsured portion of Riske). Personally, I assumed half of Riske's contract into the budget assuming the other half would be insured. A couple of articles.

http://legalball.com/MLB-news.html

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/120793

I think a player has to be on the 60 day DL for insurance to kick in. Also, I recall reading a couple years ago that insurance will only cover a set number of years for a pitching contract. Something like 5 I think. That's another reason why few pitchers get deals behind 4 or 5 years.

Archived