Brewer Fanatic

Why I'm more excited for 2011 than 2010

adambr2

I know it's hard to look forward to 2011 when we're trying to build towards 2010, and we obviously want results now. Still, looking at the bigger picture, I'm a lot more excited for 2011 than 2010 for a couple of reasons.

1 - Expiring bad contracts

The 2010/11 offseason is going to be one of getting some major payroll relief. We'll pay Hall $7M in 2010 to play for the Mariners, and then we can wipe that slate clean. Also mercifully coming to an end in the 10/11 offseason is the Jeff Suppan contract, which we can get rid of after 2010 for a petty, in comparison, buyout of $2M. On a lesser, but still important scale, unless he magically returns to form in 2010, the David Riske contract will also expire. We're talking about $25M, or probably well over a quarter of our payroll, that will be wiped clean between the 2010 and 2011 offseasons. I haven't looked ahead to see what the 2010/11 FA crop is going to be like, but we're obviously talking about a massive extra amount of flexibility afforded to the franchise. Not only will we be able to be very active in free agency if we so choose to be, we'll have plenty left for a number of options, signing Prince or Gallardo, and on a lesser scale, signing Gamel, Escobar, Parra, Weeks, or any number of young players who may yet prove their worth in 2010, to long-term contracts. If Prince is traded by then, we're obviously talking about a huge return and even more payroll flexibility to work with.

2 - Farm system

Our farm system, while plentiful, currently contains very little MLB ready talent beyond Escobar and Gamel. Look for that to change after 2010. Not only may Lawrie, Lucroy, Cain, or perhaps a surprise prospect or two be ready by then, but the numerous pitching prospects that we currently have in the lower levels may be beginning to develop into full blown great pitching prospects. Look at all the names. We've got Rogers, Scarpetta, Braddock, Butler, Jeffress, Cody, Anundsen, and Periard who could be MLB-ready, or at least close, by 2011. In addition, we've got Odorizzi, Arnett, Peralta, Heckathorn, Frederickson, and Bucci who won't likely be MLB ready, BUT by that time may have established themselves as up-and-coming MLB pitching talent in either AA or AAA. Will they all pan out? Obviously not, but if half of them do, we're talking about a major benefit to this franchise by 2011 not only because some of them may be ready to step in and help the MLB team, but also because the ones who aren't may very well be attractive trading pieces at the 2011 deadline if a deadline push trade is made, which, for the reasons stated earlier, we would more than likely have no problem affording.

I realize this is really all tough to project at this point, but these are the main reasons why I really consider 2011 to be our next big "shot." We'll have money to go along with MLB talent and minor league talent. If we play our cards right prior to and during the 2011 season, 2011 may be the best team that we've put on the field in years. I understand that we still have really no idea of what 2010 will look like -- but to be perfectly honest, the way things look right now, I'd be fairly content to tread water in 2010, get something out there that can put us around .500 again and at least give us a SHOT and keep attendance high enough to keep the payroll up, rather than going for broke next year.

I agree to a point. I'm not necessarily excited about the expirings (although I'm not sad about it either) and I'm not necessarily excited for 2011.

I'm excited for a time when we are producing our own decent quantity of quality young pitching. The earliest this could be seems to be at least 2-3 years away. I think we'll be competitive until then (in a .500 or over .500 kind of way); but until we don't have to try to trade or sign other people's arms I think we're treading water.

I'm less sure about this but until we have proven pitching to spend money on; we may be best served just pocketing it. I like your lock up Gallardo idea. I'm sad that we'll be wasting many of his cheap young years on .500/over .500 teams. The other sad thing is that I think the wait for the young pitching may cost Melvin/Ash their jobs. That may be a justifiable action; but they better be replaced by people just as good at what they do and I doubt they will be.

I'm not often jealous; but the bullpen full of 95mph+ quality young arms and the solid and cheap rotation the Twins have made me jealous this post season.

The Twins have a very mediocre rotation with Liriano not producing like he should and with Slowey hurt. They just value defense over offense and play in a weak hitting division. I relaly am not jealous of Nick Blackburn or Glen Perkins types at all. Those are the future Looper/Suppan's of the world and Scott Baker is more or less a clone of Dave Bush only without the injury inflated ERA.

I'm excited for both seasons personally. Rebuilding is a long and arduous process and we are still in the earlier stages of it. 7 years ago this team had no talent at all on the field, it was Sheets, Jenkins and a bunch of bums who would be out of baseball in a couple of years. We have rebuilt that into a team that is consistently around .500 and has a lot of talent in the minors and I'm just excited about where we are headed in general.

Maybe I didn't watch enough games and I don't feel like looking at the numbers right now. I'm sure I'm jealous of someone though.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif My main point is the rest of the post.

It'll be interesting to see where some of our prospects end up in 2011. The outfield could potentially be pretty loaded with Schafer, Cain, Gindl and obviously Braun out there. Seeing how the current pitchers pan out will be intriguing too. By then, Rogers, Rivas, Anundsen, Braddock, Butler, etc. will really be knocking at the door for a spot in the rotation. I'm already excited for 2011 too.

Arnett could very well be MLB ready by 2011.

He wasn't a "project" or anything like a high school player - he isn't too far away.

I completely agree with your assessment. I've had 2011 circled on my calendar since the end of the 2008 season. My only fear is that we start slowly and trade Prince Fielder during or after the 2010 season.

Arnett is a project, he's not polished... He's not a project like Frederickson, but he's got plenty to work on. He could absolutely move fast if he gets his mechanics straightened out and develops a solid 3rd pitch. Remember that the organization characterized Odorizzi as being ahead of Arnett development wise because he had almost a full season of pro ball already. They weren't going to mess with Arnett at all until instructs this fall per this audio interview. For those that don't follow the minors this interview offers excellent insight into how the organization would like to develop pitchers.

Assistant General Manager Dan O'Brien's comments about Odorizzi and Arnett are in this audio interview around 2 minute mark.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived