Brewer Fanatic

Jeff Juden Interview

splitterpfj

Wow, Todd, another home run interview.

And speaking of home runs...my apologies, Jeff, but I'll confess, I don't remember your grand slam; but I love that you got someone a home run inning prize and that it had such value for the winner.

Thanks so much for taking time for Brewerfan.net.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Thanks for posting the interview. Nice work.

I have to admit that I was a little concerned about Juden's analysis regarding some of the interpersonal disputes and being traded so frequently. I have the feeling there was a lot more to it and that Juden was either minimizing or denying responsibility. I didn't see a whole lot of remorse or accountability in regards to his behavior and how he dealt with people.

I know that interviews in print don't always capture the tone and body language of a person, but I was hoping he would show some recognition of having made mistakes in the past and learning from it. But I guess not. To me, he just reinforced the impression that I had of him . . . and maybe that is who he really is even today. I don't know.

Am I misinterpreting his responses?

I like to hear both sides of the story and if Jeff is reading I hope you are doing well. I never had any reason to like or dislike him and thought he did his job well enough for us in some very difficult times. I do think while one or two incidents can be explained away when you see so many of them popping up in different places with different people the person should own some of that as being on him. Not all but some. I really don't think it's always everyone else's fault.

The interview itself was done very well. It allowed us to see him from a different point of view while not avoiding uncomfortable questions. Not a candy coated piece by any means. Excellent job.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Great read even though my memories of Juden are rather vague at best. The interviewer has a knack for good questions. Given that, and my interest in the topic, makes me think that brewerfan.net could generate many great articles from all kinds of former brewers. I know I'd love to hear updates and reminiscing from Greg Vaugn again as well as guys like Cal Eldred, Jamie Navaro, John Jaha and etc etc etc. The 90's were a horrible but somehow glorious decade at the same time for the Brewers. Not sure what I mean by that. I'm curious how Juden was decided upon.

vaccinator77: funny avator, made me laugh.

Community Moderator

Great interview. I learn so much more about baseball through these than I do through anything on TV.

It is always nice to hear things from the players' perspective, and it seems like due to all the various pressures of being a big league, an important perspective in many of those incidents gets withheld for many years. The interview with Brooks Kieschnick seemed to have many of the same themes--Brooks had issues when the Cubs changed management and Jeff got pushed around between a number of organizations. It is important to keep this in mind when the Brewers bring in players who have bounced around through a number of organizations--it isn't easy to keep adapting to different managers, coaches, philosophies, etc.

As for the stories with the altercations, especially with Pedro Martinez, it is really the statistics of the players involved that is going to determine management's decision, not who was actually to blame for the issues. Jeff clearly wanted to win and perform in the big leagues, but his methods of dealing with the pressure (playing guitar) didn't always rub off the right way on his teammates. There seem to be lots of internal dynamics in big league clubhouses that are hard to diagnose--and you can't expect to get any honest answers through the media as the events are unfolding. We never really got the whole story on the resolution to the Manny Parra incident from 2008...I'm sure there was some sort of lasting effect.

So I guess that's my interpretation, maybe it helps answer Ajay's questions. Best of luck to Jeff in the future!

I think more so than having to deal with different managers and coaches it would be harder with all of the off field logistics. Unless a player, like Juden, has a good wife I see adapting to different cities very hard. Juden played in a day where there wasn't a GPS unit in almost every car. He had to deal with his apartment/house, and getting around a new town hoping he doesn't get lost going to the ballpark. I have talked to a few players that I have come to know, and with the Packer talk shows on the radio dealing with tickets for friends nad family members seems like a lot of work. Most players leave that up to their spouses.

Adapting to coaches and managers shouldn't be too hard since he's probably had dozens from little league through high school, and then through the minor league systems.

Archived