Brewer Fanatic

MLBTR's Offseason Outlook

Invader3K

MLB Trade Rumors has a good article assessing the Brewers' off-season needs here.

Even before considering a possible long-term deal for Fielder, Melvin has his work cut out for him this winter. He's already re-signed Hoffman and added Rick Peterson as the new pitching coach. Now he must take a limited budget to find two starting pitchers, a catcher, and a center fielder. He has to decide on Looper's option, entertain offers for Hardy, and deal with at least five significant arbitration cases. Should be an action-packed hot stove season for Brewers fans.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Today at U.S.S. Mariner Dave Cameron proposed a Hardy-Brandon Morrow swap, which seems reasonable. The Twins, Red Sox, and Blue Jays could be other potential fits for the shortstop.

I would take that deal in a second. Frees up payroll space and adds a low-cost-high-reward pitcher to the staff. Doesn't Morrow seem like the exact type of pitcher that would flourish under Peterson's tutelage?

Crisp has an option that has to be turned down first, and while good on D, is quite a drop from Cameron's '09 stats, and because of the lack of decent CF's on the market, and an emphasis on defense up the middle, will probably make 75% of what Cameron will.

I'd go cheaper, Gerut, Ankiel, or the like.

Ankiel may not be cheaper, but he adds a power lefty to our lineup... if the market is at all like last year, where he's still on the market late, I would not mind taking a 6-8-million dollar per year 1-2 year flyer on guy like Ankiel. On the hand, I also like that Crisp is switch hitter with some speed...

Ankiel is coming off a poor year, even without many CF's on the market, he's probably a 1y/$3M guy. He's never been more than a platoon guy, so he should just go to whoever will give him AB's.

As for Crisp, I was unaware he only played 49 games...I was thinking he got hurt in August. He may well lose a lot of worth, depending on what his injury was.

UPDATE: Torn labrum, should be fine next year. He is a good sleeper option, as the Royals seem doubtful to pick up his option. Not much pop, but a very solid OBP, and not too far from average CF production offensively. Because of his lack of SLG, will probably cost less than half what Mike will, probably $4-5M, and likely to just take a one year deal as well, proving his health before cashing in.

I believe Boras is not going to settle for anything less than $10m a season for Ankiel.
So Ankiel is going to sit out the entire season? If he looks for a $10M deal, he will be lucky to get leftovers in March with around $2M.

That said, it would be fun to watch Ankiel gun down runners from CF. But he would be a definite downgrade from Cameron.

dadofandrew wrote:

UPDATE: Torn labrum, should be fine next year. He is a good sleeper option, as the Royals seem doubtful to pick up his option. Not much pop, but a very solid OBP, and not too far from average CF production offensively. Because of his lack of SLG, will probably cost less than half what Mike will, probably $4-5M, and likely to just take a one year deal as well, proving his health before cashing in.

I don't know how bad or what a torn labrum does to a guy, but before he was shut down, Crisp was throwing the ball... well... about as well as I do left handed. Even sometimes almost under handing it back into the infield. I just don't think he's worth a $5million dollar risk when we already have Gerut for 1/10th that price.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Doesn't Morrow seem like the exact type of pitcher that would flourish under Peterson's tutelage?

He does to me, I'd let Peterson review his video and let him decide.

I would take that deal in a second. Frees up payroll space and adds a low-cost-high-reward pitcher to the staff.

Ya, with Morrow on board the Brewers could resign Cameron and still have about $5 million to spend on a pitcher. If Hart were dealt, there would be about $9 million. Thats assuming theres no increase in budget, but its very possible there will be. McGehee could also land either a very interesting unproven pitcher, or a quality guy with a big contract.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

It is going to be really tough to find a catcher better than Kendall. Maybe a strong defensive catcher. Most of the options other than Kendall at catcher are really no more than a minimal upgrade at best. If Kendall would come back at a reasonable price, we probably can't do much worse.(Oops, I mean better.)

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'd risk Salome and Rivera. I have a feeling it would pay off.

I agree with this. Offensively they can't possibly be worse than Kendall was the past few years. Defensively, everyone says Kendall call a great game, but that didn't seem to do much good last season as the Brewers compiled one of the worst pitching staffs in the majors. I'd really hate to let Salome rot away one the bench, but something has to give with him and Lucroy anyway.

Archived