Brewer Fanatic

Zack Greinke

I don't believe this rumor for one second, but may as well throw it on here anyway:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/273811-zack-greinke-to-milwaukee-deal-all-but-done?utm_campaign=buzztap&utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

"I heard rumors today that the Milwaukee Brewers have reached an angreement with the Kansas City Royals to acquire the rights of Zack Greinke and unknown minor leaguers for the rights of JJ Hardy, Manny Parra, Mat Gamel, and Angel Salome."

Edit: Tom Haudricourt mentions on the JSOnline blog that he and Drew Olson talked about the idea of a trade like this on the D-List on 540. Sounds like the author in the link heard about it second hand. Sorry to get hopes up, if at all.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If it is true, I would rather see DeJesus and Greinke for that package. That's a lot to give up for one guy and a few minor leaguers, depending on who they are.

No its not, its the steal of the century. Greinke was phenomanal this year. A massive 9.4 WAR. Thats what Fielder and Gallardo were, combined! Thats twice as much as Ryan Braun! Greinke pitched like CC did for us last year, but not for 3 months, but for an entire season. He was just 25 years old while accomplishing that, and is signed to an under-market deal through 2012. He was the best player in baseball this year, and no one else was even close.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

That's a lot to give up for one guy and a few minor leaguers, depending on who they are.

Is there anyone more valuable than Greinke and that contract right now? Maybe Longoria and a few others, but I would think he is in the top 5 for cost/production for the next 3 years.

Absolutely BS rumor. Have we even had any inclination from Kansas City that they would consider trading Greinke?
No. I think he likes it there, and the Royals would like to make him their next George Brett; i.e. a guy who will spend all or most of his career with them and be a big draw for the fans.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Take Parra and Gamel out, substitute Hart instead and drop the prospects on the Royals side and I like the deal. We need Parra. Trading pitchers away is something we cannot do. I agree that trading for a player like Hardy makes no sense for the Royals. They are not contending for the playoffs in the next couple years. The only teams that make sense for a Hardy trade are teams that think they are going to be in the playoffs in 2010 or 2011. It makes little sense to trade for Hardy even if a team thinks they can pay him. I don't see any reason for Hardy to sign a long contract without first testing free agency.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I literally stammered out, 'Wha, wha, whuuut?' when I saw the rumored trade. Greinke is one of a handful of pitchers I'd be ok seeing Gamel used to acquire, for whatever that's worth. Sheesh, I need to sit down... oh wait...
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

TooLiveBrew[/b]]Greinke is one of a handful of pitchers I'd be ok seeing Gamel used to acquire, for whatever that's worth.
I can't agree with you anymore. If Gamel is traded this year we better get at least 2-3 years of a very good pitcher. Off the top of my head, Josh Johnson is the only other pitcher that I would trade for Gamel

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Brewers would do this in a second.

The only way I can see this happening is that the Royals are unloading any contracts for the best young talent they can get. Perhaps they think they are at least 3-4 years away from contending (not an outrageous contention), and by that time, Greinke will simply walk. Teams are reluctant to give away young talent - and maybe this really is the best they are able to get. I kind of doubt it, but you never know.

Parra, gamel and salome are not sure things, but each has his upside. Gamel could be special, but no guarentees. They could move him to first (let's be honest, Jacobs and Teahen aren't the answer with their .698 and .734 OPS respectively - both could potentially be non-tendered this offseason - and Butler and Gamel would be the 1B/DH). They can flip Hardy to the Red Sox or some other SS needy team for prospects.

Still, you think they could get more than this - it's not like Johan Santana, who few teams wanted to trade for because it was only a one year rental (unless you gave him the $150 million or so extension, which precluded most teams from doing the deal). But maybe teams are just hanging on to their young guys.

Greinke has about $34 million left on his deal - and three years. Him and Gallardo would be a formidable tandem.

All fun to think about - but I think it's all a dream. A nice dream, but a dream nonetheless.

Gamel could be special, but no guarentees.

True, but in this "bad" year he had he was able to put up MLB average stats for a 3B. An expectation of Gamel being an above average bat at 3B or one of the corner outfield spots isn't a stretch at all.

Gamel .242/.338/.422

3B .265/.335/.421

RF .270/.345/.446

LF .269/.341/.440

Grienke on a 3 year contract would be great. I would hate to give up Parra or Gamel to get him though.

Looking at his contract, I think the original offer(Parra, Gamel, Solome, Hardy) looks like a sort of a low offer for 3 years of Greinke.

Per Cot's Contracts

Zack Greinke rhp

4 years/$38M (2009-12)

* 4 years/$38M (2009-12)

o signed extension with Kansas City 1/26/09 (avoided arbitration, $4.4M-$3.4M)

o 09:$3.75M, 10:$7.25M, 11:$13.5M, 12:$13.5M

o limited no-trade protection in 2009, 2010

o award bonuses: $50,000 each for Gold Glove, All Star, LCS MVP; $0.1M for WS MVP; $0.1M for Cy Young ($50,000 for 2nd-5th place); $0.1M for MVP ($50,000 for 2nd-5th place)

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Definitely a low ball offer here but not by much. Replace Salome and Hardy with Scarpetta, Odorizzi, and Green I think you start to come close to what the Royals would be expecting in return for Greinke. If the Brewers had another close to ready SS you could take Scarpetta and Odorizzi off the list and replace them with Escobar. I still don't think the Royals would accept it though.

Greinke is just worth way to much to the Royals kind of like what Sheets was worth to the Brewers when he was the only good player on the Brewers except Greinke actually has a couple of good players on his team and one young good player with Alex Gordon. The Royals would be dumb to trade Greinke for anything right now it is not like the AL central is some strong division that they need a lot of talent to win it. I think the Royals are closer than people think to competing again now only if their GM would wise up and stop wasting money on bad free agents.

Even Trenni squashed the rumor on Facebook.

"for those who got wind of possible Greinke trade and got excited...time to fall back to reality. NOT HAPPENING. I checked with three different sources and all say it's CRAP. Sad...would have loved to have Z!"

Archived