Brewer Fanatic

Counsell is a class act

jjkoestler

Another reason to love Craig Counsell.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/64634792.html

Counsell a class act

By Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel

Oct. 16, 2009

My boss, Garry D. Howard, was kind enough to share this e-mail with me that former Marquette basketball coach Rick Majerus, now at St. Louis University, sent to relate an experience he had this week with Brewers veteran infielder and Milwaukee native Craig Counsell.

I'm passing along the e-mail in its entirety because it speaks volumes about the class of Craig Counsell, which is no surprise to me after all of the years I've covered him. I don't think Rick Majerus would mind it because it gives insight to the good deeds of a player who sought no publicity for it on his own.

Here's the letter:

October 16, 2009

Dear Garry,

On Wednesday this week it was my honor and privilege to "cut" a commercial with Craig Counsell for the Special Olympics. Although he had knee surgery the day before, Craig showed up early, stayed late and wanted to scale back his lines in order to not detract from Special Olympian, Tim Allen, when indeed he was the hook for the upcoming events. Craig was cheerful, bright, pleasant and signed an autograph or picture with any one who asked and genuinely felt that it was an honor and privilege to do so.

When the shot was done, he told Special Olympian, Tim, that he lived in Whitefish Bay and to come on by to meet his kids and play with them in their yard if Tim saw them outside. Best of all he meant it!

This guy was the best one million dollar deal in sports. If the Brewer's don't sign him for a locker room guy or leadership, it will be their loss. Not to mention he is a terrific, dedicated player who produces.

No matter what happens, Craig lives within 100 miles of Milwaukee and that is everyone's gain. I haven't come across a classier professional athlete in my career as a coach. What a life lesson for all of us Craig provides.

Sincerely,

Rick Majerus

Head Basketball Coach

Saint Louis University

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Add to that the fact that Counsell is clutch.

Seriously, I really like the guy. He's definitely not a bad baseball player, and there's something about having a hometown guy on your team. I say keep him around until he quits or his knees give out. He's one guy that's always willing to take a hometown discount.

I wish that was in blue, ecjimg. I don't have words for how incorrect I think you are. There was no media there. Majerus went out of his way to bring this to the attention of the media after its occurrence.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I disagree. This is not an example of a "class act". Its an example of a pro ball player that has learned when to put on his "game face" in media and community relations.
I guess it takes a lot to impress you.

I'm now even more of a Craig Counsell fan, that is a very good story.

I met one of Craig Counsell's kids this summer. I teach camp for a local not-for-profit and he was in my group one of the weeks. I had a feeling he was Craig's son, then when he told me his dad plays for the Brewers I knew for sure.

Super nice kid. Respectful. Mature for his age. Got along really well with the other campers. Likes to play sports. Coincidentally, his favorite position to play is shortstop. I didn't get to meet Craig, since the Brewers were on the road that week. But judging by the way his five-year-old presents himself, I'd bet he's a very good father.

I disagree. This is not an example of a "class act". Its an example of a pro ball player that has learned when to put on his "game face" in media and community relations.
Craig Counsell, in actuality, despises Special Olympians and kicks their puppies--he only pretends to like them and support their endeavors for the glory of brewerfan.net threads.

Seriously, what's this about? Come on.

If he was "forced" to do it. But I don't see how he would have been compelled, as a free agent, which would make it genuine to me.

I guess it takes a lot to impress you.

I'm now even more of a Craig Counsell fan, that is a very good story.

No one will agree with me, but in the many times that I've encountered Craig he has been an arrogant stuck up guy...I think the one time he was nice was when there was a FSN camera on him, other that that he always seems like he wants nothing to do with anyone...

I agree with emc

........, but in the many times that I've encountered Craig he has been an arrogant stuck up guy...I think the one time he was nice was when there was a FSN camera on him, other that that he always seems like he wants nothing to do with anyone...

I agree with emc

Bingo!

I didnt want to start a whole fan experience offshoot, but yes, I happened to be in a public place where several brewers arrived after a game. My friend and I were there first, and not looking to meet, talk to players or get autographs etc. Mike Maddux sat next to us, intoduced himself ("Hi, Im Mike") talked to us like a normal person would, jokingly asked for some of my friend's fries and joked with us and asked Ben Sheets to say hi to us and pose for a few quick camera photos. Sheets was a class act. He wasnt doing charity work, or making a public appearance as a player. He was friendly and accomodating. I had a similar experience talking to him outside the gift shop at Maryvalle during a spring trainng game. He acted like a"regular person" chatted and moved on. (and no, i didnt ask for an autograph etc). Counsel on the other hand came up to the bar near us and ordered a beer. My friend said "nice game" he quickly said "thanks" and looked away. I said "Im not from whitefish bay, but I used to live there". He could have said "thats nice" or "ah" or " lots of people do" or something short, but he game me a "you have exceeded you alotment of my time" look and walked away. Totally his perogative, but seemed rude. Didnt seem "classy".

Let's put ourselves in Craig's shoes for a bit. Or any celebrity's shoes.

Everywhere he goes, he likely has people recognize him, and I'm sure a lot of those people come up to him and say "hey, aren't you Craig Counsell?" as fans, we feel entitled to say hello to the players who we support. and we feel that it's their job to humor us with an enthusiastic response. but I know if I had to say hello to random people everywhere I went, that would grate on me. I'd be short with people for sure.

Craig Counsell may well be a very nice guy who just has trouble dealing with the pressures of interacting with fans. Not everyone was born to be the center of attention like Ryan Braun.

Everywhere he goes, he likely has people recognize him, and I'm sure a lot of those people come up to him and say "hey, aren't you Craig Counsell?" as fans, we feel entitled to say hello to the players who we support. and we feel that it's their job to humor us with an enthusiastic response. but I know if I had to say hello to random people everywhere I went, that would grate on me. I'd be short with people for sure.

Craig Counsell may well be a very nice guy who just has trouble dealing with the pressures of interacting with fans. Not everyone was born to be the center of attention like Ryan Braun.

True. And really, my long story above is irrelevant. My original point was......that a ballplayer appearing at a charity event, press there or not.. it is part of his job. Sorry, no "class act" points for showing up early, staying late or being nice to kids, babies or fans. Is Suppan a "class act" for giving the thousands that he "donates" to charity? Thats all part of his huge contract. That money comes from the brewers (and indirectly you and me). Funding Brewers sponsored charaties and making public appearances is part of the job.

ecjimg[/b]]

True. And really, my long story above is irrelevant. My original point was......that a ballplayer appearing at a charity event, press there or not.. it is part of his job. Sorry, no "class act" points for showing up early, staying late or being nice to kids, babies or fans. Is Suppan a "class act" for giving the thousands that he "donates" to charity? Thats all part of his huge contract. That money comes from the brewers (and indirectly you and me). Funding Brewers sponsored charaties and making public appearances is part of the job.

I agree that people of wealth/fame have some obligation to participate in charitable causes. However, I also believe that some of these people go above and beyond what is reasonably expected of them. Also, I'm not sure that I agree that the money that Suppan/Counsell/any Brewer gives to charity comes from the Brewers and indirectly from us. You could say this about anyone who gives to charity. I write a check to a charity, which comes from my employer, which comes from my employer's customers, which come's from their employers, which comes from their employer's customers and so on and so on. Just because you give to charity, does not mean that everyone that touched that money is also credited to giving to that charity.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

My original point was......that a ballplayer appearing at a charity event, press there or not.. it is part of his job. Sorry, no "class act" points for showing up early, staying late or being nice to kids, babies or fans. Is Suppan a "class act" for giving the thousands that he "donates" to charity? Thats all part of his huge contract. That money comes from the brewers (and indirectly you and me). Funding Brewers sponsored charaties and making public appearances is part of the job.
I realize that players (especially the high-profile players) have charitable items in their contracts, but as I mentioned Counsell is a free agent, and I hardly doubt his special olympics PSA was a contract-mandated appearance. And if it wasn't, wouldn't that actually mean he was doing it out of the goodness of his heart?

He may have been a bit standoffish to some out in the public, but it's tough not to see how this is a good deed that he didn't have to do. He's a better guy than me for sure, because there's no way that I go to some charity event the day after I have knee surgery.

To me, his biggest fault as a person was that ridiculous batting stance. As someone who had been one of his biggest detractors, he really won me over last year. I'll still call him 'Rudy' though...

Hasn't anyone ever had a bad day and/or not felt like chatting it up with anyone? Sheesh.
That's what I was thinking. That one time I met that guy he was a jerk. He must be a jerk all the time.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived