Brewer Fanatic

Matt Murton

Murton is no more than an afterthought in the crowded Rockie outfield picture. As I think Iribarren and Counsell (two left-handed bats) are most likely to be the backup infielders (barring the re-signing of Lopez) and it's quite possible that Cameron will move on, the Brewers will need to add a right handed OF bat/PH even if Hart isn't traded which is also a possibility..

Murton would be a nice cheap option for that role. He does lack corner OF power and he's below average defensively, but he's always been a guy who gives you quality at-bats.which would be nice to have in late inning PH role.

If the Brewers don't sign or keep Cameron why not sign Rocco Baldelli? He can play center or right and bats right handed. Theoretically, that gives them an outfield of Braun, Gerut, Hart, and Baldelli. Of course the Brewers may trade Hart but the other three above mentioned outfielders can catch the ball. I see no reason to sign poor defensive outfielders.

If the Brewers don't sign or keep Cameron why not sign Rocco Baldelli? He can play center or right and bats right handed. Theoretically, that gives them an outfield of Braun, Gerut, Hart, and Baldelli. Of course the Brewers may trade Hart but the other three above mentioned outfielders can catch the ball. I see no reason to sign poor defensive outfielders.

Baldelli does make a lot of sense as would bringing Kapler back to platoon with Gerut in CF. That would still leave a 5th OF spot though and again if you assume both backup IF are lefthanded hitters, it might make more sense to go with a RH bat in the 5th OF like Murton over say Catalanotto. Bourgeouis is the speed option obviously too for that role too.

I'm not sure the Brewers are ruling out Cain just yet either if he has a big year in the AFL.

Archived