Brewer Fanatic

SI Article - About Pence

If you mods want to put this into either the NL ROY thread or the Brewers Disrespect thread feel free, but I think it deserves a thread of it's own.

This is about the article on page 24 of the July 23rd issue in Sports Illustrated titled "A Rookie for the Ages". The article talks of how Hunter Pence is putting one of the best rookie seasons ever. Yet they fail to mention a single thing about Braun even though he's practically matched Pences numbers in 109 less PA. I think that there if there talking about great rookie seasons, there should also be some mention of Braun.

On another note, they also incorrectly stated that no NL Rookie has won a batting title.

Braun was on Cold Pizza earlier. The recap was that he feels more confident now than when he 1st came up. They compared Brauns numbers to A-Rods from May 25 (the day Braun was called up). He also said that the numbers don't matter to him, the team success does. But that obviously the better he does the greater chance the Brewers have to win. He also said he only heard about the 'Hebrew Hammer" nickname a little while ago but he is ok with it.

I just read this article in question, and it got at me a little too. It starts out by saying that "Astros centerfielder Hunter Pence leads all rookies who quality for the batting title in average, slugging, doubles and triples..."

As of today (7/22/07) their lines are:

Hunter Pence

(avg/obp/slg/ops) AB/HR

(.330/.355/.564/.919) 312/12

Ryan Braun

(.338/.387/.657/1.035) 201/15

Obviously both have been playing great ball so far this season, but Braun is the superior player thus far. I think once he qualifies for the batting title and starts showing up on these lists, people will realise how good he has been.

My question is, can anyone tell me how many ABs or what percent you need to qualify and at his current pace, when should Braun have enough?

You need 3.1 plate appearances per game that the team plays.

If my calculations are correct, Braun will have to average 4.39 PA's if he plays every game, he is currently averaging 4.44 PA/Gm. At the current pace, he should have enough PA's by game 160.

They also will add on at the end of the year if a guy is close to the required amount, though it's with hitless AB's, so a player has to have a cushion to be able to absorb those outs being added to his average and maintain a lead.

Archived