Brewer Fanatic

Hudson Looks Like He Will Declare Free Agency

I'd love to have him, and his injury he recovered from this past season is of no concern to me, as it was TJ surgery. He has a chance to be more WAR next year than our entire rotation was this year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I would love to have him too, but would he really give up $12M guaranteed?
Hudson has a $12m club option not a player option. The Brewers could probably get him on a one or two year deal. It will probably take three or four years though around the $12m a year mark.

He can also opt out of his contract if the 2010 option is picked up.

He should give up $12 million guaranteed to get 3 years/$30 million guaranteed. He's not going to get hurt between now and the time he signs his contract this winter, but he could get hurt sometime in 2010 and lose out on the $18 million difference (or whatever the difference is).

I'd like the Brewers to go after him, but I would get nervous if it gets much beyond that 3 years/$30 million number I mentioned.

I don't think Hudson is the worst option, but 3/$30 kind of scares me for a guy who had a ton of early-career innings on his arm and hasn't seen more than 145IP (last=42.1IP) in two years.

He doesn't give up many HR's though and that's something I haven't seen in a while though....

I guess Jeff Suppan Syndrome is going to be a yearly thing now.....

He would be a very good pickup, I would imagine. Everything seemed to check out in his return - fastball velocity was still there, still had a good groundball rate, BB/9 was exactly at his career mark...

The only flag I see is that with the weak elbow, he stopped throwing sliders in favor of cut fastballs. His slider has traditionally been his #2 pitch, and he did not nearly get the same results out of his cutter last season.

You're kidding yourself if you think you're going to get Hudson for 3/30 .....it will be much, much higher than that....

He just built a new home in Alabama; the Braves are a big favorite to resign him

Sabathia built a home in California. When Tommy Glavine went to the Mets, he was a pillar in Atlanta. Ned Yost kept his home in Atlanta the 6 years he was managing the Brewers. That means nothing. Because just like the Giants had committed so much to Zito, the Braves have a ton committed to Lowe and their first priority is a bat.

Hudson is just what Melvin wants. He's a proven #2 starter and has been for a number of years. He keeps the ball in the park. He gets quick outs and can go deep as a result (he's logged 218 or more innings 5 times). When Melvin made the comment a few weeks back that the Brewers might need to take a chance (re: risk overpaying) on a guy coming off an injury, I think he was thinking specifically about Hudson. The Brewers offered Sabathia a ton of money last offseason. The money is there to make a serious run at Hudson especially if they decide not to spend at least $10 million combined on Looper and Bush.

It also helps explain the eagerness to get Petersen.

Hudson makes a lot of sense to me. I'd much rather give him $12 million per than give Looper $7 next season that's for sure. The only problem is that he's getting a little long in the tooth, so I don't know if I'd want to give him more than a two year deal. I don't think that he can be compared to Suppan for sure. They're not even in the same league. Hudson has had a great career, Suppan was great for a few games in the playoffs (and against the Brewers).

"Hudson is projected to fall just short of Type B status"

This also is good news. However...

"Hudson still hopes to work out a multiyear extension with the Braves."

This sounds similar to when A-Rod declared free agency to get more money from the Yankees. Or when Aramis Ramirez did the same to get more money from the Cubs.

I have to believe that if the Braves keep Hudson, then they'll need to move a salary. The only significant salary coming off the books for the Braves this year is their 2 closers, and one will neeed be resigned, with a raise. If they keep Hudson, I'd think they'd look to deal Vazquez. Vazquez would bring them far nore in return than Hudson. The Braves budget won't be going up, its likely to continue to shrink as their attendance does.

I'd rather acquire Vazquez than Hudson (and I really like Hudson) because he's just as effective but far more reliable, and he's the innings eater we need. McGehee for Vazquez fills needs for both teams. Thats a good return for Atlanta when you realize how little Atlanta gave up to get him, and that his no-trade clause and past experiences (bad blood with both Yankees and White Sox) limit his potential suitors.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Why would they give up a guy that pitched 219 innings w/ a 238/44 K/BB ratio, and a 2.87 ERA for Casey Mcgehee? I'm sure they could get much more for Javier Vazquez.

I would be interested in any of Javier Vazquez, Tim Hudson or Kenshin Kawakami, but it all depends on the price it would take to get them. I'm sure Melvin will look into it.

Why would they give up a guy that pitched 219 innings w/ a 238/44 K/BB ratio, and a 2.87 ERA for Casey Mcgehee?
He's not young, he's expensive, and they need to work within their budget. They have a need for a righthanded hitting 3B. What else do they haave to deal to fill their need? If Vazquez is worth so much in trade, why is he always dealt for so little? If they Braves don't do a deal like this, they will end up short at both a corner IF spot, and at closer.

As for McGehee, remember that the Braves are a scouting organization, not a stars organization. They will likely see McGehee as a strong worker and hitter with a short, quick swing. They won't care about his minor league stats. I don't see a cost controlled 3B on the market that rivals what McGehee offers.

I realize 1 year of Vazquez is better than 1 year of McGehee by a wide margin, but what what I'm offering is 5 years of McGehee, cost controlled, for 1 year of Vazquez, at $12 million.

Right, and I don't see that as being close to enough. Chipper Jones will be back next season, so I don't see 3b as a pressing need for them. I also think that they will bring back Laroche at 1b. You don't think they will be able to trade one of Kawakami or Lowe to clear up salary?

The frustrating thing with Lowe is that we would be trading for a guy who could have helped as a FA last off-season. But if something can be worked out at a reasonable cost, I still wouldn't be opposed to bringing him on. People would have to realize he is an aging pitcher, though, and shouldn't be expected to be like Ben Sheets in his prime or Sabathia last year.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Jones will likely be moved to 1B. He likely doesn't want to but he nosedived last season. That said Lowe is the guy being dangled from all reports and my guess is if not him Kawakami would be moved before Vasquez.

I'd rather give Hudson the money than go after Lowe, unless they would be willing to eat some of his contract. Where did you hear that Chipper was moving to first?

I'd rather give Hudson the money than go after Lowe, unless they would be willing to eat some of his contract. Where did you hear that Chipper was moving to first?
The Braves have been rumored to be looking for a 1B/3B RH hitter. If they are looking for someone at 3B then Chipper will probably be moving over to 1B. At Chipper's age he really should be playing 1B right now. I'm not sure how well he would be defensively at 1B though he really should be a DH though at this point in his career.

I doubt the Braves could find anyone sucker enough to take ove Lowes contract, and they certainly won't get anything in return.

As Endaround stated, Jones will likely be moved to 1st in an effort to keep him healthy, just as Seattle did with Branyan. Atlanta has no 3B prospects, and theres no way they get one for Lowe or Kawakami.

As for re-signing Laroche, when did he get good, and where is the money gonna come from?

I doubt the Braves could find anyone sucker enough to take ove Lowes contract, and they certainly won't get anything in return.

As Endaround stated, Jones will likely be moved to 1st in an effort to keep him healthy, just as Seattle did with Branyan. Atlanta has no 3B prospects, and theres no way they get one for Lowe or Kawakami.

As for re-signing Laroche, when did he get good, and where is the money gonna come from?

The best the Braves could get for Kawakami is someone like Corey Hart. For Lowe I would expect the Braves to get someone back who would have an equally bad contract Bradley comes to mind. Actually thinking about it a Bradley for Lowe swap is a rather good idea for both the Cubs and the Braves I just hope it doesn't happen.

What about a Suppan and some other guy swap for Lowe. It has the same effect as the Braves eating some of Lowe's salary in order to dump him. Lowe is signed for $15 million each of the next 3 years, Suppan for $12.5 in 2010 + a $2 million buyout for 2011.

Subtract out the money owed Suppan and you are getting 3 years of Lowe for $10 million a year.

Too bad we don't still have Bill Hall to give them in that deal Joe. Hall and Suppan for Lowe still saves them about half of his contract and maybe more importantly clean books after 2010. With Hall gone though, Riske might be the only other "dump" that we'd have. Everyone else is pretty reasonable unless I am forgetting someone.

Good point Invader. But I am unsure either way. I am sure their fans will tell you that he won't be dumped just to clear salary if you asked them on a message board. But maybe they'd take some type of cheaper talent along with Suppan and Riske. The combined savings along with whatever talent we give them (say Todd Coffey since they could use the backend bullpen help) might make it a deal they'd jump at.

Archived