Brewer Fanatic

Papelbon - is it too late to turn him back to a starter?

RyDogg66

I remember Papelbon coming up as a starter and I dont think that the reason for his move to the closer role was related to failure as a starter as much as it was a big need for a closer. With the Red Sox thinking about trading him, if a team like the Brewers obtained him could he be made back into a starter?

What do you think?

Why are the Sox thinking about trading him? He was the best closer for the entire season. Anyway, he doesn't want to start and will be making top tier closer money fairly shortly making a transition to starting an expensive proposition.

Yes.

Really. It's pretty simple. You don't take a potential Hall Of Fame closer and make him a starter. You leave him be. Joba I can see. But Papelbon's already had success. And not the middle-of-the-pack success that other closers turned starters have had, but top tier "if he pitches this way for ten more years he'll be one of the best ever" success.

The guy already has 151 saves and a 1.84 career ERA and is only 29. You don't mess with that.

Archived