Brewer Fanatic

Highlights of 2009: What were your favorites?

hawing
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Dave Bush taking a no hitter into the 8th against the Phillies.

That was this year? That feels like four seasons ago.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

My #1 game was the Friday night versus the Cubs when Braun took Heilman deep in the 8th to turn 2-1 into 3-2. That was also Trevor's coolest save. I think he threw 6 straight fastballs painted on the outside corner, with Frank Drebin (the umpire from Naked Gun) with exaggerated strike calls.

Dave Bush taking a no hitter into the 8th against the Phillies.

That was this year? That feels like four seasons ago.

It happened one game in 2008 too.... a Thursday afternoon game in mid-June at Miller Park against the Blue Jays I believe. That was the game we were up 8-0 with Bush taking a no-no into the 8th, and we only won 8-7. That's why i got real nervous when I heard Bush had on going in the 8th inning this year.

To be honest, I can't think of a highlight. I've loved Brewers baseball since roughly '91 or '92 when I was young. I've always been known as the eternal optimist. But in mid-June I lost much of my interest in the Brewers. They were playing awfully outside of a good 20-25 game stretch. The team had no signs of life, the offense was lackluster, the starting pitching in tatters, and the bullpen scuffling. This team should have been an 85-87 win team based on personnel, yet they failed. To me, Ken Macha surfaced as the problem. The hitters were changing their approaches, the defenders playing too deep, and on the bases the team was afraid to run or take an extra base. There was little effort to hit-and-run or bunt to avoid double plays, and Macha's response for failing to play smart baseball was "Gerut isn't a good bunter." When the Brewers fell behind this year, I had almost zero faith that they could come back. Last year they would fall behind and I still felt comfortable in most games. But I just felt that when we gave up 3 runs early, that the team would never be able enough runs to tie the game. It seemed that the hitting/scoring became even more feast-or-famine, as we lost lots of games when we gave up few runs.

• 1 month later...

I finally had a chance to put together all of the suggestions and a few of my own into a list. Let me know if there's anything anyone would like to add. I'll probably start working on the mix within the next couple of weeks here and there when I have time so I have the thing done by February or so.

Brewers 2009 Highlights

• 4-10 - Brewers Win Home Opener Against Cubs With Walk Off

• 4-23 - Bush Takes No Hitter Into 8th Against Phillies

• 4-24 - Yovani Throws Complete Game in Houston

• 4-27 - Hoffman's Miller Park Debut

• 4-28 - Hoffman's First Brewer Save

• 4-29 - Yovani Pitches 8 Scoreless, Hits Home Run off Randy Johnson to Beat Pirates 1-0

• 5-4 - Weeks Hits Home Run in 9th to Extend Winning Streak Against Pirates to 16

• 5-5 - Brewers Winning Streak Against Pittsburgh Reaches 17

• 5-7 - Brewers Pound Out 20 Hits in 15-3 Beatdown of Reds

• 5-7 - Braun Hits Grand Slam and Has 6 RBIs

• 5-7 - Fielder Hits HR off Reds Shortstop

• 5-8 - Braun Hits Go-Ahead HR in 8th at Wrigley

• 5-13 - Weeks Hits Home Runs in Three Straight Games to Continue Hot Start to Season

• 5-18 - Gamel Hits First Career Home Run

• 5-18 - Kendall Reaches 2,000 Career Hits

• 5-18 - Braun Makes Diving Catch in 3rd Inning Against Cards

• 5-18 - Brewers Sweep Cardinals in St. Louis

• 5-25 - Hall Hits Walk-Off in 10th Against Cards, Brewers Run Off Field With 1-0 Win

• 6-15 - Brewers Come Back From 5-run Deficit Twice to Win

• 6-15 - Fielder Hits First Career Grand Slam

• 6-25 - Kendall Hits Game-Tying Double in 8th, Scores Winning Run on Error

• 6-27 - Cameron Robs Home Run Against Giants

• 6-27 - Prince Hits Walk-Off Double and Team Dog Piles Him at Second

• 6-29 - McGehee Hits Grand Slam Shortly After Committing Costly Error

• 7-11 - Prince Steals Base on Russell Martin

• 7-13 - Fielder Wins HR Derby, Untucks

• 7-20 - Lopez Goes 4-for-4 with a Triple in Brewer Debut, Arriving in Time Due to Rain Delay

• 7-27 - Braun Becomes First Brewer to Start Career With Three Straight 20-HR+ Seasons

• 7-29 - McGehee Hits Pinch-Hit Homer on Day His Son Threw Out the First Pitch

• 8-12 - Prince Becomes Fastest to Reach 100 RBIs in Franchise History

• 8-13 - Prince Hits 465-Foot Home Run Off Scoreboard

• 8-16 - Fielder Hits 30th HR to Become First Brewer With Three Straight 30-HR, 100-RBI Seasons

• 8-23 - Escobar Hits First Career Home Run

• 9-6 - Brewers Turn Triple Play Against Giants

• 9-6 - Prince Hits Walk-Off HR Against Giants in 12th Inning, Bowling Pin Celebration

• 9-12 - Braun Scores 100th Run

• 9-12 - McGehee Goes 4-for-5 With Two Home Runs and 6 RBIs

• 9-13 - Escobar Ranges Toward Third, Gloves Ball and Makes Incredible Throw in Arizona

• 9-15 - Braun Collects 100th RBI

• 9-16 - Escobar Has Four Hits, Knocks in Three Against Cubs

• 9-17 - Gerut Hits Grand Slam Against Cubs

• 9-19 - Fielder Gets 127th RBI to Break Franchise Record

• 9-20 - Fielder Gets 40th Home Run

• 9-20 - Fielder Breaks Franchise Walk Record With 100

• 9-20 - Gallardo Notches 200th Strike Out in His Final Start

• 9-26 - Braun Hits Walk-Off Against Phillies on Fan Appreciation Night, Finally Gets 30th HR

• 9-30 - Fielder Scores 100th Run

• 10-3 - Braun Hits Home Run for 200th Hit, Fourth Player in Franchise History to Reach Mark

• 10-4 - Prince Homers Twice in Final Game of Season to Grab Share of MLB RBI Lead

• 10-4 - Braun Gets 203rd Hit to Lead NL

• 10-4 - Braun Gets 20th Stolen Base for 30 HR/20 SB Season

• 10-4 - McGehee Gets Hit to End Season Over .300

• 10-4 - Brewers Sweep Cardinals in St. Louis to End Season

Archived