Brewer Fanatic

Lopez to 3rd base?

I agree. Lopez is an average-ish 2B who is coming off a career year. Good for him. He'll end up with a 2 or 3 year deal in the $5-7 million per year range. He won't provide that kind of value to the Brewers, who are deep in infield players already.

Lopez would be a nice fit in Queens. For the Mets' sake, I hope they go after him.

EDIT: A reader comment on the FanGraphs article flosses like fossas linked suggests the Cubs as a nice fit. I have to agree, and hope that's not where Felipe winds up. Maybe they feel set with Fontenot.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

With 5 guys to play 3 spots (Counsell, McGeehee, Gamel, Escobar, Weeks) I don't see the good in bringing back a 6th guy coming off a career year, who has a .338 career obp.

He's been unbelievable as a Brewer, but the odds of him keeping up that pace next year are roughly one in CC Sabathia.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Pretty sure the Mets aren't going to cut Luis Castillo coming off a 387 OBA season. Theres a bunch of teams that could use Lopez, but the Mets won't be one. Better fits include the White Sox, Twins, Dodgers, Cubs, Astros and Tigers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

If you are saying that Lopez will more than likely approach his career norm numbers next season, shouldn't the same be expected for Counsell?

Yes it should, but Craig Counsell is very good defensively at SS, 2B and 3B, won't complain w/ a backup role, and will cost a lot less money than Lopez.

True Yoshi. I just think sometimes these things have a strange way of working themselves out. Really though I am just advocating offering him arby unconditionally. I don't think he'd accept it either. There is a good chance that we deal at least one other infielder besides Hardy. If Lopez accepted arby, I could see Weeks peddled as well. There is a decent chance that Lawrie is ready to take over in 2011 anyway, so it's possible that this is the last year we'd need Weeks/Lopez anyway.

Pretty sure the Mets aren't going to cut Luis Castillo coming off a 387 OBA season. Theres a bunch of teams that could use Lopez, but the Mets won't be one. Better fits include the White Sox, Twins, Dodgers, Cubs, Astros and Tigers.

And his defense regressed even more.

Archived