Brewer Fanatic

Hardy to Toronto?

i think this a little too obvious for it not to happen. Toronto is going to need a short stop with scutero (sp?) leaving in fa and they do have some good young starting pitching. what do you guys think we can get out of them? i'm sure romero is out of the question but how about brett cecil and brad mills? both are lefties which we REALLY need and both have alot of up side. or maybe we could get romero if we include salome since they really need a catcher as well.

I think a Halladay trade might be possible now for the Brewers where it was nearly impossible a few months ago. Hardy, Salome, Gamel, and Scarpetta/Odorizzi. I'm not sure about Scarpetta and Odorizzi though especially with the Brewers giving up two top prospects in Gamel and Salome along with Hardy.

What this does is solve the problem at catcher in the minors who moves up and who stays basically. Though it is never a bad problem to have too many catching prospects. I believe Lucroy is the better catcher than Salome but Salome is better offensively than Lucroy though.

With Gamel it is really hard to let him go and the only way I would like to see the Brewers trade Gamel is for someone like Halladay or a young #1 or #2 type pitching prospect. I'm not sure what the new Blue Jays GM will be thinking or what he will do but trading Halladay will be something they will be looking at. The Blue Jays definitely will not get as much as they would have gotten during the trade deadline. It is possible that they will but it is unlikely though it will not change all that much though. Subtract one prospect from the list that they would have gotten if they would have traded him during the deadline.

but with halladay i think its the same situation that we had with sabathia. is it really worth selling the farm for one year on someone we have NO CHANCE on resigning? i dont think so, it would be a really hefty price. i never think it is good for a smaller market team to make these trades.

I've proposed this before. I'd do Hardy, Lawrie, Parra, mid-level prospect for Halladay. I think that the Jays might actually be more interested in Lawrie than Gamel or Escobar because of the Canadian PR aspect that might soften the blow of trading Halladay somewhat. The Jays may actually think about pulling the trigger on this one, and the Brewers need to go for it next year. Obviously they would be taking a risk on Halladay's health, but if he stays healthy they either contend or flip him at the deadline.

I would even expand it a little. I really like Toronto's young pitchers. I would do a Gamel/Hardy for Rzepczynski/Cecil deal. Toronto has Encarnacion at 3rd now but I have seen rumors that he is headed for the OF.Toronto could still roll out Halladay, Marcum, Romero, Richmond/Mills/Purcey/McGowen/Litsch (when he gets back from TJ surgery). You would get 2 young cost controlled pitchers who pitched reasonably well in the tough AL East and who both project as possible 2/3 types. Maybe sign a Justin Duchscherer to an incentive laden 1 or 2 year deal.

Yogo

Duchscherer

Parra

Rzepczynski

Cecil

That is young, cheap, very talented rotation, with the ability to get better and better the next couple years.You also have depth in Suppan, and possibly Bush, or Looper, as well as the AAA arms like Jones, Cody, Butler, etc. and our everyday lineup would not really be hurt at all.

What about Hardy for McGowan straight-up? Both are coming off of disappointing years (Injury v. impotence). With the Jays probably needing as much cost-controlled pitching as possible with the inevitable departure of Halladay, wouldn't it make more sense to procure the pitcher who could help us most this year and who wouldn't cost the most from the Blue Jay's perspective (the other pitchers are still pre-arby).

Maybe we are looking at this backwards.... Should we first look at our trading chips (hardy, gamel, hart, salome, weeks, and McGehee) then find the best deal for a pitcher in return? I just have a feeling this offseason we wll trade for a pitcher and sign a free agent, which will fill our need for a #2 and #3 pitcher. Where are the brewers going to get them from?

I would have preferred the Brewers addressed the starting pitching and worked backwards, which is why I didn't want them spending money on Hoffman right away.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

There are about 10 teams that JJ would be an upgrade for. TOR is one, SEA is another, and there are many more. Until those teams find a SS, they'll be linked to Hardy.
I mentioned this in another thread, and Seattle also loses Beltre and Branyan. Yes, they may bring them back, but I could definately see a Hardy-Gamel deal to Seattle. Now, this wouldn't garner King Felix or anything, but the pieces sure fit nicely.

I agree that Toronto and Seattle are going to be among the teams tied to Hardy. You also have Detroit, Boston, Minnesota, Baltimore and possibly both the Nationals and Padres that could express interest. I'm not touching the NL Central teams as I really doubt Melvin would move a player of significance to a division rival, even if he can get a good pitcher in return. I'm sure there is a team or more that I'm missing, but I think the year-to-year need for a good shortstop for so many teams out there will play in the Brewers favor, even if Hardy had a disappointing year. Not to mention the best player available on the free agent market is Orlando Cabrera.

I'm not sure if I've ever been more convinced that a player was as good as gone. I hate to part with the guy when his value is so low, since we all know he's a lot better than what he showed this past year and is still plenty young, but the writing is on the wall.

There are about 10 teams that JJ would be an upgrade for. TOR is one, SEA is another, and there are many more. Until those teams find a SS, they'll be linked to Hardy.
I mentioned this in another thread, and Seattle also loses Beltre and Branyan. Yes, they may bring them back, but I could definately see a Hardy-Gamel deal to Seattle. Now, this wouldn't garner King Felix or anything, but the pieces sure fit nicely.
Seattle just traded for Jack Wilson at the trade deadline. Since JJ doesn't wanna switch positions, I don't see him going to Seattle.

They are likely going to rebuild so 2 years of Hardy is pretty meaningless to them. Escobar for Halladay could happen.
Hardy for 2 years is very meaningful to the Blue Jays and here is why. If the Blue Jays have another down year which in all likeliness they will they can trade Hardy at the deadline. If Hardy plays like 2008 or 2007 again his value goes up and the Jays will get more in return than Escobar.

Take the trade I proposed for example if Hardy turns it around and looks like an All Star short stop again the Jays would have Gamel, Salome, Scarpetta/Odorizzi, plus whatever they get for Hardy in a trade near the deadline. That extra year of Hardy would bring in more prospects for the Jays. That alone is not a meaningless 2 years of Hardy.

Seattle just traded for Jack Wilson at the trade deadline. Since JJ doesn't wanna switch positions, I don't see him going to Seattle.

I'd have to guess there's about a 1% chance that Jack Wilson would block J.J. Hardy. Wilson could also be the one to play 3B.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'd have to guess there's about a 1% chance that Jack Wilson would block J.J. Hardy. Wilson could also be the one to play 3B.

Furthermore, there's no guarantee that the M's want to pick up Wilson's $8.4M option for the type of production he gave. Hardy would be close to that even if he's only slightly better than last year, and at roughly half the price.

The young Toronto and Seattle pitchers intrigue me.

Jack Wilson is probably the best defensive shortstop in the game. Playing either Wilson or Hardy at third would be a waste, as they'd surely get better value back in a trade.

Archived