Brewer Fanatic

Being good versus Being interesting

NYChez

I found myself rooting for Philadelphia in their game in Colorado last night, which surprised me because I don't particularly like the team. The reason: they are an interesting team and will make the remainder of the playoffs more interesting if they're involved. A Yankees / Phillies World Series would be much more interesting than Yankess / Rockies.

I'm not a big fan of ESPN Radio's Colin Cowherd, but I agree with a point that he makes frequently: if you can't be good, at least be interesting.

There are only a handful of interesting teams in baseball. The Cubs, Red Sox, and Yankees are interesting because they're the Cubs, Red Sox, and Yankees (people love them or hate them). Other teams have to work to make themselves interesting.

The Dodgers are interesting because of Joe Torre and Manny Ramirez (more so before the steroids scandal). The Cardinals are interesting because of Tony LaRussa and Albert Pujols. The Phillies are interesting because you never turn the channel when Ryan Howard is batting (and because they have a few top-notch guys like Utley and Rollins). It doesn't hurt being World Series champions.

That brings us to the Brewers. I think they're perceived as being one of the most interesting teams in baseball. I think the main reason for that is Prince Fielder. Imagine where this franchise would be without Prince Fielder. There would be no playoffs. There would be no CC Sabathia (we wouldn't have been a contender). There would be no Hells Bells (we couldn't afford him). There would be 2 million fans instead of 3 million. There would be no "untuck 'em". There would be no Home Run Derby. They'd be in the "interesting zone" of an Arizona Diamondback or Texas Rangers - not interesting at all on a national basis and just marginally interesting locally.

Because the Brewers need Fielder to be interesting, Fielder has more value to the Brewers than he has to the Yankees, Red Sox, or Cubs - or any other team that has interest in, and can afford to pay him. Fielder puts fannies in the Miller Park seats - the other teams already have full seats. The Brewers cannot afford to become uninteresting. They cannot afford, at any price, to not sign Fielder long term.

They cannot afford, at any price, to not sign Fielder long term.

Nice analysis, but Satan, er, I mean Scott Boras, won't allow it.

My prediction is that maybe this off-season or next off-season, the Brewers WILL offer Prince a huge long term deal. It will make the offer to C.C. this past winter look like peanuts. Boras will still turn it down, and some big market team will offer Prince an insane contract once he hits free agency, the kind that would be completely irresponsible for the Brewers to match. That is why he will be gone, not that the Brewers don't want to pay or keep him.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Fielder reached new heights as a player this year. Last year much of the talk was that Fielder was out of shape and thus not producing to his potential. I think he dispelled that completely. But whether it's that he's in Pujols shadow or what, but it's amazing how little fans of other teams realize what kind of hitter Fielder is or how losing him would negatively affect the Brewers on the field an at the box office. Some White Sox fan calling in a Chicago sports radio this weekend and suggested the Sox could get Fielder for Gavin Floyd. Now Floyd's not bad, but can anyone imagine the Cardinals dealing Pujols for Gavin Floyd? No pitcher, much less a Gavin Floyd could handle the pressure of expectations for having been dealt for Fielder. Fielder is to the Brewers what Pujols is to the Cardinals. His presence alone makes this team with any kind of decent pitching a threat. Add Braun to the mix, and the Brewers have 2 big fan draws and a realistic shot every year.

Boras is indeed a problem, but Prince is a strong willed individual who is not going to get pushed around by his agent. If he wants to stay and the Brewers show their appreciation in terms of a sizable contract offer, it will be Prince's decision, not Boras'.

Fielder reached new heights as a player this year. Last year much of the talk was that Fielder was out of shape and thus not producing to his potential. I think he dispelled that completely.
How do you figure that? If anything after coming into the season slimmed down and seemingly more committed to defense he pretty much proved that he was out of shape and not producing to his potential. If you mean going forward, I'm not so sure he'll maintain. He'll be a premium offensive player, he was last season, but the questions surrounding his weight will continue to follow him around.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

In 1987, I became hooked as a Brewer's fan. They finished third in the AL-East (granted, they had a better record than the WS champion Twins - not that I'm bitter) and were really out of the playoffs for a while.

But I was glued to the radio every game: 13 game winning streak (including the shot-heard 'round Milwaukee), Nieves' no-hitter, Molitor's 39-game hit streak, Yount hit for the cycle, Higuera's 32-inning scoreless streak.

That was an interesting year.

A few years back, prior to Fielder, we had Overbay... People for some strange reason, loved to yell OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO everytime he batted. But it was fun and interesting. When Hoffman comes into the game, his entrance is interesting. Coffey also in a toned down way.

To me, Fielder isn't interesting, he is a great player. I may do something else while other people bat, but I always watch Braun and Fielder. Not because they are interesting, but because they are great.

"if you can't be good, at least be interesting." But its still better to be good.

I'll take Fielder's excellent play over Overbay's interesting play (no offense to O).

Find me a good team that isn't interesting and I'll be convinced that there's something to this notion. Almost by defintion, there must be something interesting going on for a team to be good, whether in an individual or a system as a whole.

Robert

The Brewers have answered my prayers.

Fielder and Braun are both "interesting", and I am thrilled the Brewers finally have some players who fall into that category. I love that Fielder not only has unbelievable talent, but that his name recognition, unusual body shape, fiery personality, clubhouse leadership, and showmanship make him a nice change for the Milwaukee market. I also love Braun's swagger, Hollywood connections, outspoken nature, etc. The fans are clearly responding both with high attendance and jersey sales for these two. I don't remember Molitor or Yount ever generating this much buzz on either a local or national level.

My dream has always been to bring more sex appeal, glamor, swagger, and national attention to the Brewers franchise. I am thrilled that we finally have some of that for a change. Growing up, I kept hearing people in the media lie and say that fans in Milwaukee don't appreciate flashy players and only want hard nosed players like Yount and Molitor who "play the game right" and run out every ground ball, etc. That couldn't be further from the truth.

As a kid, I always dreamed of adding more Reggie Jackson type of players to the Brewers. So I am glad that we finally are changing and it's no coincidence that Braun and Fielder are bringing attention to Milwaukee and that the community here thinks of them as gods.

I love seeing Fielder on the cover of a video game. I love seeing Braun getting invited to be in movies and TV shows like The Bachelor. I love seeing Prince Fielder as the top story on SportsCenter for trying to enter the Dodgers clubhouse or for his homerun celebration controversy. I love having a Brewer win the HR Derby at the All-Star Game. I love seeing Brewers in the starting lineup for the All-Star Game. I love seeing Braun on the cover of Sports Illustrated. Braun and Fielder make us feel major league again, and I LOVE IT because as a fan, I finally get to experience what the rest of the baseball world does.

I hope the Brewers front office ponies up the cash to pay the Prince to keep him a Brewer forever. It would be incredibly stupid to lose these two because these are the most special players to ever come up in our system. You don't let such talent and marketability walk away. These two have the ability to forever change the perception of the Brewers franchise, and you have to keep them here if you ever want to build any kind of legacy as a sports franchise.

No amount of money will keep Fielder in Milwaukee Pretend if only for a second, that Milwaukee's offer equals Boston or New York's offer. Would Prince stay? He'd be insane to stay. If we "pony up" were not going to give him any help. The money will be used up. In addition his ability to make residual monies in advertising will be off the charts in NY, Bos, LA, Chi. Milwaukee won't be able to compete with that. It's better to move on when the time is appropriate. Same for Braunie. We're small market and doomed to a cycle of occasional competitiveness.

It would be incredibly stupid to lose these two because these are the most special players to ever come up in our system

Aside from what Tbadder added, I think it's waaaaaay too early to make this specific claim. They're both great right now, but haven't logged nearly enough time to get that 'most special' label just yet. I agree they're both talented, but let's not overlook a guy like Paul Molitor, who is truly one of the great hitters of all time -- or Yount, one of the best all-around players ever. Both of those guys were better defenders than our current duo, to boot (or, at least played more demanding positions). It's not that I think Prince & Braun will suddenly forget how to hit or anything, but I think it's too early to make a claim that they're the best ever... although it's sure exciting that one actually has to stop & weigh that question! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Find me a good team that isn't interesting

I agree that being a winning team is the most interesting reason to watch. But I assumed that the topic author was thinking of other interests than winning/talent.

Certain people are just fun to watch. Take Dr. J and Michael Jordan vs. Kobe Bryant. All three are excellent ball players. But Dr. J and MJ had a flair that Kobe just doesn't. An interest that goes beyond talent. In baseball, I think of Ozzie Smith, Willie Mays, OOOOverbay (although that was more of a cult following than him), or Barry Bonds (in a negative way, but still interest).

Not to knock Braun and Fielder, but (IMO) that "interest beyond talent" isn't there. Plenty of interest because of talent, however.

Archived